• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The map is not the territory.

Mole

Permabanned
They tell me a map is not the territory but look at a flat map of the Earth and you will see the Northern Hemisphere is on top.

But look at a flat map of the Earth with South America bang smack in the middle and you get a different picture.

For we see at a glance there are four Continents in a straight line, North America, South America, Antarctica and Australia.

And these four Continents border all the oceans of the world.

This has enormous geo-political significance which we miss if we only look at a flat map with the Northern Hemisphere on top.

Yet no flat map with South America in the middle is produced commercially. In fact I will bet not one person here has seen such a map.

No wonder we forget the map is not the territory.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not to mention Africa looks tiny in the Merkator projection, but it's actually enormous.

Mole

Permabanned
Not to mention Africa looks tiny in the Merkator projection, but it's actually enormous.

Yes, we have four Continents strung out like pearls in the oceans of the world, and we have two huge Continental land masses joined at the hip.

The string of pearls draped around the Earth is North America, South America, Antarctica and Australia. And the two huge Continental land masses joined at the hip are Eurasia and Africa.

Mole

Permabanned
...what are you getting at?

Well, imagine you are a geo-politican. What would be the significance of four Continents in a straight line in all the oceans of the world, facing two huge Continental land masses joined at the hip?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I never thought North America was the center of the Earth.

In my head, Central Europe/Central Asia is the center of the Earth.

That's probably due to flat maps which emphasize East/West.

But it's interesting to me that that very location was where the prototype for all Indo-European languages is formed.

So it is the center of the world to me in a another sense.

Everybody has their view point. We had to talk about this map thing in my mandatory Origins class in college. You know, one of those classes they make you take so that ignorant people realize that there are other religions and cultures in the world.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, imagine you are a geo-politican. What would be the significance of four Continents in a straight line in all the oceans of the world, facing two huge Continental land masses joined at the hip?

You mean like this?

Usgs_map_traverse_mercator.PNG

Here's the projection used by the US geological survey, according to Wikipedia.

A very bizarre projection, that.

I quite like the butterfly map though.

watermanthumb.jpg

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp

i was actually hoping you'd not only clarify what you're envisioning here, but continue to answer that for me...

in any case, i would imagine significance would be more or less in the eye of the beholder.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Until looking up the traverse-mercator map just now, I don't think I've ever seen an Americas-centric map before. There are a whole bunch of Euro-Atlantic centric ones, sure, and I've seen some Pacific-centric, some south-as-up maps (often Antarctica-centric), and even some Africa-centric maps, but never any Americas-centric, probably because by centering on those two continents you cut so much landmass in half.

Probably the best are the antarctica-clearly-on-top pacific maps, they give a more accurate view of exactly how much water there is. Most other maps seem to say there's so much land when that's not true.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shouldn't this be in the politics subforum?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The idea, "the map is not the territory", is a philosophical idea.

Of course it is not about maps and territory, but perception, epistemology or ways of seeing.
I know that. And this thread is a literal (and therefore mis)application of the idea.

I didn't think I'd have to spell that out to you.

That statement always struck me as tautological at best.