• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

War is Beautiful

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
It doesn't do more then destroy human beings, waste resources, cause stagnation and problems, aswell as replace the old order with a new one. It doesn't have anymore qualities then that. The fact that some people are stupid enough to want to go to war in the first place and then later regret is really obvious. It's far from beautifull to want to rebuild infrastructure, it's a logical conclusion when recovering.

Anyone whose actually directly been in a combat zone and seen warfare knows that war does anything but invoke positive feelings or fascination in a normal human being. It is probably the worst and most self-undermining state mankind are able to conceive. Those who've been enthusiastic about it quickly lose their misconceptions once they experience it and view it's detrimental effects. While certainly it is interesting, it should not be considered glamorous.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
Merc, are you implying that cancer is a symptom?

It is..

Cancer is when a tumour (of which everyone has many at any given time) grows beyond the immune system's ability to control it.

The immune system is more than capable of destroying any tumour that develops, when it is running at full capacity - which takes about 11% of the body's energy throughput.

Cortisol, the fight-or-flight hormone, shuts down digestion and the immune system in order to provide an excess of energy during those crucial moments where you might have to punch out a bear or lift a tree off of your child.

Modern society is structured so that stressful situations, instead of lasting a few minutes or a few hours, instead last for weeks, months, decades.

If you are 'running hot' with high cortisol levels, like most people, you are eventually going to develop cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Genetics merely determine in which order.

A bit of a simplification but that is the gist of it.

As for the beauty of war, there isn't any. There are good reasons to kill people, and there are reasons to go to war. These groups do not intersect.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
I should clarify that once a tumour gets beyond a certain size, then your immune system can't handle it anymore. When I say 'The immune system is more than capable of destroying any tumour that develops', I mean it is capable of destroying the tiny ones that happen naturally.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
After every war a little symmetry is added to the world; litterally.

manila-war-cemetery-photo.jpg

Xellotath

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
...I can't see the formal philosophy very well in the op. Maybe that thing counts as "spirituality"?

All I see is an aesthetic unfalsifiable judgment and a lot of reverse-engineering to force the axiom through the use of a non-sequitur vis-a-vis the human unconscious.

Maybe it was supposed to be inspirational, like those motivational posters...? I'm not sure. What exactly are the premises of the discussion again?

Please help.

Little_Sticks

...I can't see the formal philosophy very well in the op. Maybe that thing counts as "spirituality"?

All I see is an aesthetic unfalsifiable judgment and a lot of reverse-engineering to force the axiom through the use of a non-sequitur vis-a-vis the human unconscious.

Maybe it was supposed to be inspirational, like those motivational posters...? I'm not sure. What exactly are the premises of the discussion again?

Please help.

Guess I'll resurrect this and see if anyone that posts after this is actually capable of reading and learning.

It's utterly amazing that people don't seem to know how to read the posts before they decide to make themselves look like complete idiots and it was my mistake for thinking people are capable of being more than one-dimensional about an idea I had, where the beauty was my enjoyment of the idea and what it could mean and not some psychopathic or sociopathic desire to destroy other beings (not that it makes any difference though for argument's sake or that I feel the need to justify myself).

For those completely sheltered that are incapable of at least understanding some philosophy of human aggression and force, I want to say "YOU ARE ALL RIGHT. I SEE THE LIGHT. WE SHOULD HOLD HANDS AND SING KOOMBAYA NOW. LET'S MAKE LOVE TOO. LOVE AND PEACE BABY."

And for you simpletons that feel the need to add insult to injury and seem completely unable to ever give a person the benefit of the doubt, I hate you and the vile confrontational and deriding atmosphere that you habitually foster in this forum.

Now Please die (I know you won't :(). Or find something better to do (but you won't do this either will you? :().

Manis

MBTI Type
INFP
Wow, a lot of you thinkers seem to troll in feel-speak.

I understand what you mean Sticks, but you don't need to get so worked up. Maybe you didn't express your point as elegantly as some of these folks would prefer, or maybe you're just not allowed an opinion seeing as you didn't grow up in no-man's-land like everyone else seems to have, but flipping out isn't going to help.

My tuppence on the matter: war is beautiful. How can something of such consequence not be? War is full of nasty things; unnecessary sorrow, pain and death. How much emotion do these things evoke? How much art have they inspired? They are beautiful, and it's better that they be considered beautiful than for us to remember the victims as pitiable statistics. Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder but we all know that war is horrible and that it should be avoided at all costs, the poster of this thread surely knows this too. We don't have to prove it in some game of moral oneupmanship. I think that a thing can be beautiful and unconscionable, I see no contradiction there.

I don't think that war is inevitable or that a cycle of war is an integral part of our race's development, but even if nothing at all can be said in its defense it can't be denied that we wouldn't be where we are now without it. We may well be in a better place, but we wouldn't be here.

Jaguar

it was my mistake for thinking people are capable of being more than one-dimensional about an idea I had, where the beauty was my enjoyment of the idea and what it could mean

I never read this thread, until now. I have one thing to say to you:
Out of the ashes, The Phoenix will rise.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don't really think that war comes from a desire to destroy other life. I think it comes from two things 1) greed for resources, probably fueled by a fear that another will take over the resources that we all need to survive, and 2) a complete lack of empathy, in the sense that we do not understand each other's motivations. I was just reading a story about Pocahontas, and it really struck me that all the conflict between her tribe and the people of Jamestown all came down to misunderstandings. The two groups completely misread each other's intentions, and attributed neutral and positive gestures as actually negative or aggressive gestures.

One thing I really like about the personality types is that it helps us to understand each other bettter.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
war is crazy and fucked the fuck up, i don't know how anybody could find it beautiful but i guess people do.

one of my best friends was Israeli Special Forces until he lost his leg....
i have always wanted to be a war photojournalist. i guess i can understand how you can be real drawn to war, real attracted to it.... but i have always been attracted to it and fucking hated the shit out of it at the same time.

love is beautiful, dudes :nice:
fuck war.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6wcw5jWRhc"]The Major agrees.[/YOUTUBE]

Unique

Well, you're right. But I'm more referring to how it changes things when it is over.

War is Beautiful

^^^ The reason the NTs find you annoying.

and...

There is nothing "beautiful" about "war"

beau·ty   
[byoo-tee]
–noun, plural -ties.
the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind, whether arising from sensory manifestations (as shape, color, sound, etc.), a meaningful design or pattern, or something else (as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest).
a beautiful person, esp. a woman.
a beautiful thing, as a work of art or a building.
Often, beauties. something that is beautiful in nature or in some natural or artificial environment.
an individually pleasing or beautiful quality; grace; charm: a vivid blue area that is the one real beauty of the painting.
Informal . a particular advantage: One of the beauties of this medicine is the freedom from aftereffects.
(usually used ironically) something extraordinary: My sunburn was a real beauty.
something excellent of its kind: My old car was a beauty.

war    
[wawr]
noun, verb, warred, war·ring, adjective
–noun
a conflict carried on by force of arms, as between nations or between parties within a nation; warfare, as by land, sea, or air.
a state or period of armed hostility or active military operations: The two nations were at war with each other.
a contest carried on by force of arms, as in a series of battles or campaigns: the War of 1812.
active hostility or contention; conflict; contest: a war of words.
aggressive business conflict, as through severe price cutting in the same industry or any other means of undermining competitors: a fare war among airlines; a trade war between nations.
a struggle: a war for men's minds; a war against poverty.
armed fighting, as a science, profession, activity, or art; methods or principles of waging armed conflict: War is the soldier's business.

In conclusion, you're an idiot.

Manis

MBTI Type
INFP
Copy/pasting dictionary definitions isn't really an argument. Beauty is a subjective concept, not the first google result for 'beauty definition'.

To bring myself down to your level:

id·i·ot
/ˈɪdiət/ [id-ee-uht]
–noun
an utterly foolish or senseless person.
Psychology . a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

S

Sniffles

There are positive and negative aspects of war. I'll leave at that, since I know some people here stoked to try provoke me into a flame war about this. :rolli:

Lark

There are positive and negative aspects of war. I'll leave at that, since I know some people here stoked to try provoke me into a flame war about this. :rolli:

I'd be interested in hearing your views on this but I suspect you're right about a possible flame war, I'd be interested in Take Five's views too if he where around, although I dont know if he thinks about war per se or simply as an instrument of foreign policy.

I dont think that war is good per se but I do think that it can be good in consequence, provided that it is just, and also in that it occasions the best in people aswell as the worst. So pretty much I'd agree that it has the positive and the negative. I dont think its beautiful though, that's a misnomer for war.