• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stress drives the whole world? (Because we are all under stress?)

R

Riva

Whatever we do, we do to get rid of stress?

Even the richest, the most secure or even the happiest person is under stress? I mean aren't we all under stress? It's as if there is a load on your chest that never goes away.

Even if you play the right cards, do the right things (or) work hard and get rid of that load, some other load comes and sits on your chest. Even worst, you feel you'll lose what you gained (above) or have?

the richest person is scared of losing his money and the happiest person is scared of losing what brings happiness. Of course the stress levels vary. But stress we have. All of us.

What us the solution? To let go is it? Not be attached to anything in the 1st place?

R

Riva

Stress is incredibly painful. Maybe this is why people who have had near death experiences say that "those .... seconds were the best moments of my life". The load that plague our minds plagues our bodies. The the stress away the body feels good. Or vise versa.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Even the Earth creates hurricanes to alleviate the heat of its core. It's the nature of the beast.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fundamentally, I don't think this is the goal. Humans do not live to avoid the bad, they live to pursue the good. Clearly if our primary goal was to alleviate stress we would have all committed suicide.

Negative utilitarianism is, in my mind, a worthy secondary goal, to positive utilitarianism.

I don't getting rid the stress is feasible. I don't think it's humanly possible to not be attached to anything (those who might me are catanonic, I conjecture), even the people who try to release never get to the goal before they die and they struggle a lot while they are trying to do it.

Better, I think, to figure out your values, do some cost-benefit analysis, and start figuring out what small and short pains bring you large and long pleasures. Go for that. Try to master buying the negatives for the positives instead of trying to escape it all.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Even the richest, the most secure or even the happiest person is under stress? I mean aren't we all under stress? It's as if there is a load on your chest that never goes away.

Even if you play the right cards, do the right things (or) work hard and get rid of that load, some other load comes and sits on your chest. Even worst, you feel you'll lose what you gained (above) or have?

the richest person is scared of losing his money and the happiest person is scared of losing what brings happiness. Of course the stress levels vary. But stress we have. All of us.

What us the solution? To let go is it? Not be attached to anything in the 1st place?

The book "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers" suggests that we take a lesson from zebras. Despite being routinely chased by hungry lions, zebras are pretty relaxed most of the time. Zebras are only stressed during the few minutes of the chase, and that stress response is solely to enable them to survive. Once the threat passes, zebras are quick to relax.

People today don't do that. We stress about things continuously for days, weeks, or even months. This is where we error. Stress is an adaptation meant to bring about peak physical and mental performance for short periods of time, followed by periods of recovery. Without the recovery, the peak potential declines.

I believe that the key is to intentionally and consciously focus our stress, which in turn will give us permission to intentionally relax. Relaxation periods allow us to reload.

Mole

Permabanned
Stress and Social Control

The prime means of social control is personal tension.

And personal tension is experienced first in our muscles.

So to be free, to be free of social control, first we need to learn to relax our muscles.

And secondly and as a result of relaxing our muscles, we learn to relax our mind.

And thirdly we learn to relax our muscles and our minds progressively in difficult or painful situations.

So if we want to be free, a good place to start is with Dr Ainslie Mears' book, "Relief Without Drugs". Ainslie teaches us how to progressively relax our muscles and our minds.

wolfy

awsm
The book "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers" suggests that we take a lesson from zebras. Despite being routinely chased by hungry lions, zebras are pretty relaxed most of the time. Zebras are only stressed during the few minutes of the chase, and that stress response is solely to enable them to survive. Once the threat passes, zebras are quick to relax.

People today don't do that. We stress about things continuously for days, weeks, or even months. This is where we error. Stress is an adaptation meant to bring about peak physical and mental performance for short periods of time, followed by periods of recovery. Without the recovery, the peak potential declines.

I believe that the key is to intentionally and consciously focus our stress, which in turn will give us permission to intentionally relax. Relaxation periods allow us to reload.

You got it. Funny, I got zebra in that animal test.

I like how Hans Selye puts it. There are two types of stress distress and eustress. Eustress is the good type, the stress of meeting a challenge and doing it, a lot of whether stress is distress or eustress has to do with adaptation and the ability to meet the stress.

Not moving back from it, moving forward to meet it.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I like how Hans Selye puts it. There are two types of stress distress and eustress. Eustress is the good type, the stress of meeting a challenge and doing it, a lot of whether stress is distress or eustress has to do with adaptation and the ability to meet the stress.

Not moving back from it, moving forward to meet it.

Oh man, I forgot about eustress.

Building strength by lifting weights is the classic example. Eustress is going to the gym. At the gym, we lift weights which cause microscopic tears to our muscles. However, it is while we sleep that our body repairs our muscles, making them stronger in the process so we are better adapted to the challenge next time.

The growth comes from relaxation. However, it's the stress (eustress) that provides the catalyst for growth. Both are necessary.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some stress is good, it's only when we get over stressed or are unable to stop being stressed that it becomes an issue.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Stress? lolz. Wha's tha??:smoke:

Is that like...uh...like...uh...a J thing?! LOOL!

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

Yeah, I was going to mention that there is such a thing as positive stress, but now I suppose that I don't need to.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnO5bKvYYMk"]Hey hey hey[/YOUTUBE]