• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Self inventory

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Do you take inventory on yourself?

How often is enough?

When is it too much?

When do you get to the point it time to let it go?

I'm aware of the reasons i behave the way i do but to examine the root causes of it doesn't half cause significant pain.

Your thoughts please and feel free to elaborate on things i may of missed :)

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
If taking inventory of myself is the same as examining the root causes of my behaviours, then I rarely stop doing that. I don't think it's ever too much, unless you feel your brain turning to scrambled eggs running through the same paths over and over again, at which point it's clearly naptime....

This is a nice thread topic, actually. I'm surprised there are no replies yet.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I did just recently :). It was LONG over due (a couple years)...I almost forgot about myself, oops. I made myself a test and scored pretty low on a lot of the things that I really care about. I got a C- overall, lol. Improvement is in progress now!

How often is enough?

I think it would be a good idea to do it atleast once a day before you go to bed, weekly would be good too, or monthly.

When is it too much?

Too much would be multiple times a day, that would be obsessive.

When you achieve all your goals and make things that better your life and others a habit.

Last edited:

gromit

likes this
Yeah I think it's generally a good thing, unless it keeps you from doing.

Beorn

Permabanned
I do it constantly. Most of the time I don't actually get anywhere and it does keep me from doing things.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9

Yes. Every time I notice that I must change something within me in order to change my current situation, in terms of the future. To have a better knowledge of what to do in order to fulfill my visions or wishes.

How often is enough?

I don't know. The realizations I mentioned above come at different times, with a different frequency.

Lately I have been doing this more that twice a day because, due to a traumatic experience I had some years ago, I have repressed my intuition, which is waking up again, all of a sudden.

When I finally get back to my original self, I think I'll do this exercise once a week; like I did before all that crap happened.

When is it too much?

When it paralyzes you because of over-analysis.

I don't know. And don't think I will. You are always changing (even if you don't notice it, or don't want to admit it), so, such moments of introspection are necessary.

P

Phantonym

I do it constantly. Most of the time I don't actually get anywhere and it does keep me from doing things.

:thinking: Yeah, that has been my personal experience as well. :doh: Well, I get the feeling that at least some progress has been made but it never seems enough, too high expectations I guess, so it's a constant work in progress.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a super reflective type of guy, but I spent a lot of time on the defence from my little psychological demons. Self inventory is a good idea, I need to give this a shot.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yeah I think it's generally a good thing, unless it keeps you from doing.

This is the exact reason i came up with this thread because i find by examining myself and my actions continuously, i am so inside my mind too often thus i am not open to anything else .. That is not a positive place to be all the time.

I have repressed my intuition, which is waking up again, all of a sudden.

I completed understand this .. I have spent too long listening to others tell me what i am, those external factors bombarding my thoughts .. Now i am free of it all (equates to no social life at present as i want to tap back into this thinking process) i am feeling my very essence again .. I am trusting my thoughts/images, though they make no sense .. It's correct.

Good luck with that ;)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you mean by a self inventory?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I suppose i mean taking stock, evaluating what is relevant and not in accordance to your life. Old rituals/rules that one keeps that have no purpose yet you've still held onto them.

My views though are not set in stone so are open to personal interpretation.

Please interpret it as you may :yes:

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
Pretty much constantly. Kind of like a program continually running, but not at a fully conscious level.

How often is enough?
The amount I usually do it.

When is it too much?
When there is too much new data to inventory and analyze in a short period of time.

I am basically always evaluating my own actions, and the potential underlying explanations and justifications for them.

Sometimes I do a more literal inventory, and check to make sure all limbs and digits are attached, because it feels like I might have forgotten them somewhere.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I frequently take inventory of myself. I believe we need to pick ourselves apart and piece ourselves together at any point where we feel we've grown. A new situation can warrant self-inventory. Etc.
It becomes too much when you start drowning in what you're taking stock of. If a self-inventory check is hindering you from keeping up with your own life, then it needs to be sped up or put off until a later point. Either that, or getting to the root of the problem within the self-inventory (as it would likely be there).

Usually, I won't place too many emotions in my examination of self. I'll look at it from an analytical point of view. Why one thing leads to another or how does this aspect of self fit into place, etc.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
I want to, but I'm having a hard time seeing the point. Every time I've taken so called "inventory" it's been an over-analytical disaster.

I think Nietszche was on to something with his theories of power: you discover yourself by doing things contrary to what you do now, and seeing if you enjoy them or disdain. By incorporating all of these incites and reactions, only then do you really find out who you are or what you want to be. None of this shit about "justifying" one's actions: most of the time, they're a posteriori anyway. No, much better to decide what you want to do (preferably contrary to what you do now) and take steps to do it.

I mean, honestly, that's the only thing that defines us in the end: our actions or lack thereof in certain aspects of our life. It's these things that create so-called "value".

Let's roll with this ball. With the above in mind, what'd make the "best" kind of personal inventory?

I'd think what I'd do is create a list of qualities that I think I currently posses (evaluated by others for validity). Then, I'd list the opposites of all these qualities, then attempt to employ them consistently for a month, and see what comes of it.

Basically, skipping the dangers and going straight into the action process. Now THAT'S growth.