• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thought on medical-assisted suicide?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What are your thoughts on euthanasia?

I believe strongly in what is natural. Beings that doesn't have any hope of living somewhat independently in the first place or in case of severe injury that causes lifelong coma shouldn't be pained with existence, whether they be animals or humans.
We're all animals, and it just doesn't seem right.
I sure wouldn't like to live a life of suffering without dignity, whether I was aware of this or not.

Suicide in general?

Can be the only road left, sometimes, and it is everyones' right to end ones life.

Religious reasons? Moral/ethical reasons?

For opposing euthanasia or suicide? No. I find many reasons for it, however.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I think it's 'or something'.

And that something is low, reinforced, concrete walls around Government buildings in Canberra, the Capital of Australia.

And the reinforced, concrete walls are not to stop Anglican suicide bombers in explosive laden trucks, but to stop Muslim suicide bombers in explosive laden trucks.

And yet Muslim imams in Australia still keep preaching hatred of women and violence towards infidels.

And no wonder because the literal word of Allah, the Koran, commands Muslims to Jihad and Martyrdom.

The Australian Imams and the Muslim suicide bombers are only carrying out their religious duty. Meanwhile we live behind concrete walls.

Bravo for having the most ill-informed, subjective and ignorant comment Victor.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
If I get alzheimers like my grandmother.. I want to be medically assisted in my suicide. I wouldn't be myself anymore.. just a shell of a being, running on auto-pilot until I short circuit.

I'm not and advocate of suicide.. life is the best, and only, possession I truly own. But, if I cannot be myself during it anymore.. than it's not mine anymore either.

This.

I have a neighbour who is suffering from that disgusting decease and I thought to myself that I would surely commit suicide (medically assisted) if it happens to myself.

That being said terminally ill patients should also be allowed access to it.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Libertarians like myself believe you should be able to do with your body as you please and to engage in a business relationship with another party to end your life. There are too many busy bodies in the world. Just leave people alone.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I've always supported end of life choices. No reason at all for the state to be involved in a medical decision between doctors and patients.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my best friend has ms, and she wants to move to oregon at some point so that's an option for her. and i don't blame her because she'll reach the point that she'll be completely dependent on someone else,

if i ever get super sick i want that option but because of my mental health shit that's never gonna be option, so i guess i'll blow my brains out

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I am in full support of it. Anything to lessen the suffering of the sick. Plus, medical-assisted suicide sounds so much safer than people just shooting themselves/overdosing because of the affects that a terminal, life-changing illness will have on them. I cannot stress enough how I believe it is someone's own choice and right to end their own life and make their own decisions.

Suicide in general?

I understand how suicide may be construed as wrong, selfish, etc. If you make the decision to commit suicide, I think you should be aware on the effect it will inevitably have on anyone that you care about. Unfortunately, many people who do kill themselves are not stable enough in the moment to think about such things. I have been almost there, and I sometimes fear during my more stable times that I will eventually snap and end my own life on a whim.

However, my biggest philosophy toward suicide is that it's the person's choice and right to end their own life if they so wish. With any actions you do, you are subjected to judgment from other people, and that is their right as well. I guess fortunately, if you're dead, you don't have to deal with said judgments.

No religious reasons, and I lose respect for anyone who pushes their religion as a reason for other people NOT to be allowed euthanasia.

That being said, there are other arguments, morally, ethically, and practically, that I think are reasonable against euthanasia. I don't really feel like going into them since I don't agree.

junathan

I am in full support of it. Anything to lessen the suffering of the sick. Plus, medical-assisted suicide sounds so much safer than people just shooting themselves/overdosing because of the affects that a terminal, life-changing illness will have on them. I cannot stress enough how I believe it is someone's own choice and right to end their own life and make their own decisions.
What if it's in the context of,

Patient in coma and the family members decided to take his life away without his permission just because they think it's good for the patient. Is that okay?

And read about your suicide post, hope you are doing better mate 😔

I'm all for euthanasia, but I have an even more radical stance in that I believe the procedure should be extended to all people who are able to consent, not just the terminally ill.

Suicide in general?

Their lives, their choices.

I'm anti-religion. For ethical reasons, I believe that a person's life should entirely be in their control, whatever their reasons may be. If they feel like life is a negative experience, they should be free to opt out of it.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reading people's responses to this thread in today's era, and having seen the covid thread. Some people are massive hypocrites when it comes to the state interfering with your own medical decisions. Yes, I am calling you out, mostly because you are actively affecting my livelihood and I have more than a right to say fucking stop.

I fully support people who wish to end their life sooner, due to unforeseen instances of massive loss of quality of life, the inability to live properly, and to lead a healthy and progressive life. No one wants to be locked into their mortal shell, forever pulled along by false hope and the selfishness of others. If people want to opt out, it is their right. I believe it has always been the ultimate "Right" to rule over one's life, and death.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What if it's in the context of,

Patient in coma and the family members decided to take his life away without his permission just because they think it's good for the patient. Is that okay?

And read about your suicide post, hope you are doing better mate 😔
Oh, that's an interesting scenario.

I disagree with the family members in that situation. Even though, if it were me, I would want my family members to take my life away if I were in a coma. I think consent needs to be given beforehand for family to be allowed to do such a thing.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I disagree with the family members in that situation. Even though, if it were me, I would want my family members to take my life away if I were in a coma. I think consent needs to be given beforehand for family to be allowed to do such a thing.
I know people full well that they want to keep plugged in as long as possible. To them, they want to come back despite everything. That's the real hardest thing.

junathan

Meaning as a patient, if you have written a letter to your parents or specifically requested a doctor/ lawyer to legally end your life, you wouldn't mind, right? Since you already gave the permission to do so?

And if that's the case, family members shouldn't interfere at all cost and fulfill your wish to the fullest right?

Last edited:

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Meaning as a patient, if you have wrote a letter to your parents or specifically request a doctor/ lawyer to legally end your life, you wouldn't mean right? Since you already gave the permission to do so?

And if that's the case, family members shouldn't interfere at all cost and to fullfil your wish to the fullest right?
Yes, I think that as a patient if you do such things, then another person could be allowed to end your life even when you are in a coma and not able to give consent at the moment. This makes me want to write a letter giving my family permission to end my life, honestly, but I don't think they'd do it.

I think family members shouldn't be forced to end the life of the patient, but if they are willing and the patient did give them the written letter before getting into the situation, then they should be allowed to do so. If the family members have no permission whatsoever, they should never be allowed to make that kind of choice for another person even if they think they know best.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is one of the most difficult topics because physical states of suffering that would likely form the foundation for people choosing medically assisted suicide are often combined with limited cognition and limited ability to give consent. After watching both of my parents die this year, I am overwhelmed by their suffering and personally feel that if I were presented with the same end of life suffering, I might make a decision to kill myself. I read more about Robin Williams' suicide and he was diagnosed with Lewy body dementia, a rare form of dementia. It has occurred to me that I understand his choice. Especially if I am impoverished when old, destined to a bottom-of-the-barrel nursing home, increasingly experiencing the delusional dementia my mother was tormented with, then I would very much like to commit suicide rather than face that horror, especially with the added layer of no retirement and no children to keep an eye on my situation. I hope to one day make a choice about how I am to die, and there would be some comfort if it was supervised by a professional.

In principle I believe there is dignity in personal choice about death and suffering, in application the issue of compromised consent is a serious one. Yes, you can write up consent in advance, but what if you feel differently in the state of dementia and have a feeling of desiring to live, even if your consent has been warped? What if you can't undo your earlier consent and some part of you is desperate to live? There needs to be a way it is never forced on a person. I am not suggesting an answer. I think needless suffering and moral violation will occur in both scenarios of a society allowing and not allowing euthanasia. I really don't know the answer that minimizes suffering and maximizes personal choice and dignity, but those are the principles I believe in maintaining.

Pikaqiu

MBTI Type
ENFP
I believe it is good to provide the choice to patients but only after a background check and a consult with a psychiatrist would be good. This is to avoid ending a life prematurely.

I cannot say that everyone's life would flourish but I would like to think that there is a chance that every life would turn and provide a happy ending. So, if we know that there is a chance for change, why not chance it instead of opting out and choosing death, which is a 100% certainty of misery and regrets.