• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it easier to live a life with or without religion?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
The question is geared towards you the individual, not a society. State your case.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
For me religion is the natural byproduct of trusting in God. And my life has been a lot easier since I started doing that.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I guess the question could be rephrased as "Is it easier to persevere through life with faith or without?"

Beorn

Permabanned
Depends on what you mean by the word "easy."

Any religion that calls a person to act differently from their nature is not going to be easy in that you will be constantly struggling with yourself. At the same time if the practice of the religion results in someone avoiding dangers that they would otherwise give into than it is to some extent easier than not practicing it.

As a Christian I read the words of Christ and am comforted by the idea of it being easy to be a Christian.

Matthew 11:28-30 ESV said:
[28] Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. [30] For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

And then I am challenged when I read Paul and find that I must struggle and suffer.

Romans 8:14-17 ESV said:
[14] For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. [15] For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” [16] The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, [17] and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

Mole

Permabanned
Religion and Civilization

There has never been a civilization not based on a religion.

So it is likely that it is not possible to live a civilized life without religion.

For instance, our civilization is based on christianity and it is not possible to understand our civilization without understanding christianity.

And in particular it is not possible to understand English literature without understanding the Bible.

And even more interesting, it is not possible to understand the noosphere without understanding the universalist nature of christianity.

Nicodemus

There has never been a civilization not based on a religion.
Nor has there ever been a civilization less religious and more knowledgeable than today.

So it is likely that it is not possible to live a civilized life without religion.
History provides much evidence against your assumption.

For instance, our civilization is based on christianity and it is not possible to understand our civilization without understanding christianity.

And in particular it is not possible to understand English literature without understanding the Bible.

And even more interesting, it is not possible to understand the noosphere without understanding the universalist nature of christianity.
That does not require one to 'live a life with religion', unless you think you live your life with Tolkien as well.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I guess the question could be rephrased as "Is it easier to persevere through life with faith or without?"

I think this depends mostly on the individual (and it also depends somewhat on the religion). Some people gain strength from their faith. Others seem to use it as a means to escape from reality.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This claim seems to be a stretch. Can you elaborate?

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Depends on what you mean by the word "easy."

Any religion that calls a person to act differently from their nature is not going to be easy in that you will be constantly struggling with yourself. At the same time if the practice of the religion results in someone avoiding dangers that they would otherwise give into then it is to some extent easier than not practicing it.

As a Christian I read the words of Christ and am comforted by the idea of it being easy to be a Christian.

And then I am challenged when I read Paul and find that I must struggle and suffer.

I was going to say the same thing. Beefeater said it quite well.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
"Is it easier to persevere through life with faith or without?"

With, because it has a deeper meaning and is more aesthetically rewarding.

The answer could vary greatly depending on which faith of course.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd prefer without, but I'd find it hard to live without spirituality.

I like not waking up on Sunday mornings just to listen to sermons that piss me off and make me want to stand on my pew and argue against whatever the priest is babbling about.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think everyone lives with religion, if you think of a religion as a system that guides your decisions. As I see it, psychotherapy and self-improvement is the newest religion. It's a system people carry with them that helps them make decisions for their long-term security and happiness. Those systems sometimes get really simple and crude (see: talk show wisdom), but they're systems nonetheless and they're improving.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I find it easier to live without it simply because I can't make myself believe something I just...don't.

However empirical studies show that religious people tend to be "happier" than atheists. So if by easier, you mean happier the answer to that question may be yes.

However, I suspect that it is entirely possible there may be a spurious correlation between religion and happiness. It may be the sense of community, social interaction and sense of purpose that increases happiness (these things are all known to increase happiness). Perhaps an atheist working in non-profit or living on a commune might be just as happy as a regular church-goer. I doubt there have been any studies to determine that ;)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Going to church never made me happy, but more socially stressed. The whole "God's will says you should do X". "No, you aren't god, and I don't have to act based on your personal opinion."

I did used to get some peace from a private spirituality alone in nature. The atheist hippie commune doesn't sound so bad as long as Butterfly Bill is in charge.

KDude

I've been leaning on the side of "miserable" ever since I started really believing in things (I'm not entirely religious though.. more like, informally).

That's OK though.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With, because it has a deeper meaning and is more aesthetically rewarding.

The answer could vary greatly depending on which faith of course.
Exactly, because like JoSunshine, "I can't make myself believe something I just...don't."

As another perspective, the donkey is more likely to keep plodding around the mill wheel if he has a carrot dangled temptingly before him.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
interesting question. I look atmy parents who are very non religious but content and happy and I want to say without...

however, lotsof people really DO need a religioun for various reasons, not just the prospect of another life after this one.

I think it largely depends on how horrible it seems if the atheist is right and "this life is it".

Mole

Permabanned
Babe

It takes more guts to live when you know there's no point to it.

We are meaning creating animals. We can't help ourselves. Our whole society is replete with meaning. Other animals know what to do by instinct, while we know what to do by meaning.

There is no such thing as a society without a point. However in the devastation of Europe after WW II it seemed for a moment that there is no point and so Existentialism was born.

And of course adolescents struggling to find meaning are inclined at times to lose heart and give up and think there is no point. But the point is that this is a phase of adolescence. But of course they hate being told this as they love to dramatise themselves and their existential dilemmas.

And why not? I dramatised my adolescent dilemma by putting a big picture of a pig up in my room. My parents suggested I take it down but I refused and came of age. And to this day I have the same large picture of a pig on the inside of my front door to remind me who I am.

And they even made an Australian movie about a pig called, "Babe". And to this day my girlfriend calls me Babe and giggles. But who can understand girlfriends?

Just click on -

YouTube - Babe Movie Trailer

KDude

It takes more guts to live when you know there's no point to it.

It would take more guts to live - like what? There are all kinds of ways to live. Some are going to be difficult and take guts, regardless of what one believes or doesn't believe.