• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do religions hate gays so darn much?

redacted

Calling an action wrong makes people feel superior for not committing it.

So there's always incentive to be closed-minded.

And even if you disagree with your peer group, you might be so trapped in a state of dissonance that you may end up doing something stupid to prove to yourself that they actually do have the right opinion. Otherwise, you'd have to face the giant problem of finding new peers.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Organized religion is a tool for rulers to control people.
Gay people means that two people will essentially be silly and not produce any children that will become citizens and produce tax.
Having more people is essential, and if things were more liberal the population growth might (hypothetically) be in jeopardy.
Especially until recent times, we needed a lot of people to fight wars, grow and produce things.
The need for people in the western world has now diminished, and so has our birth rates.

It is not a coincidence that the most gay-hating institution in the world promotes having lots of children.
The Catholic church.

Now, I am not incredibly fond of homosexuality, either. I think it's unnatural, to be honest.
Not to mention gross. But i'm going to actively not care about it, because I believe that two adults having consensual sex can't be illegal.

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
It stems from people wanting things to be simple so that they have control of their lives. It's simple to stay with the beliefs of one's parents rather than question them and be different. Just like those who grow up in spiritual families see nothing wrong and wonder why people are against it.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The thing that gets me, as a Christian who is of the Bible thumperish variety, is that in the NT, where homosexuality is condemned as sin, thieves, the greedy and swindlers are also condemned as are the envious, the deceitful, the slanderous, the insolent, and those disobedient to their parents.

The way I look at it is when two (or however many) people are adults that are able to consent and have consented, no one is being hurt, if you want to call it that, besides the people who have consented. With some of the other sins listed, people who have not consented are being hurt.

So I cannot figure out why so many of my Christian friends and family are not up in arms about predatory lending, corporate greed, etc. I think I will do a facebook experiment . . .

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I cannot figure out why so many of my Christian friends and family are not up in arms about predatory lending, corporate greed, etc. I think I will do a facebook experiment . . .

I always love your delicious subversiveness. :smile:

Actually, Victor is right about this. There have been empirical studies where adults were shown a baby in diapers without knowing its gender - they were extremely uncomfortable and continously tried to find out if it was a boy or a girl, a "he" or a "she" they saw. It´s deeply engrained.

Totally. People cannot handle having ungendered children. If you ever study the situations of intersexed people, you'll see the same thing: The conventional wisdom is more and more not performing any sort of surgery (beyond that which will enable the child to be healthy) and let the child make his or her own decision about physical gender at an older age, based on where things go... but the adults and parents can absolutely freak out. It is very very hard to have an ungendered child or even adult... it's even why the transgendered can have a hard time, since people either have trouble changing the established gender in their mind even if they're actually trying...

... and you can see it in the English language. I either have to write him/her and his/hers, which is laborious once you write a few paragraphs; or I have an option like "it" and "it's".... which seems to depersonalize the individual. I've seen an occasional person opt for the latter, but it's a hard request to honor due to the seeming depersonalization.

Also, the same action of a baby get´s different reactions depending on what gender it supposedly has: boy = "look at that little rascal!" girl: "she´s a bit rough, isn´t she?" (and vice versa)

Totally. The gender gets used as a baseline.

but note that I don't think this is religion-based, this is culture/human being based.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Saw first posts and last page. I don't think all religions hate gays. What about the old Greeks? Certainly they were in favour of homosexuals in the army, because they were seen as extra valiant and true to their army companions. Don't know about religion, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Zeus had some gay affair somewhere.
What about the Hindu religion? Would be interesting to do a little research there, too...

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
The thing that gets me, as a Christian who is of the Bible thumperish variety, is that in the NT, where homosexuality is condemned as sin, thieves, the greedy and swindlers are also condemned as are the envious, the deceitful, the slanderous, the insolent, and those disobedient to their parents.

The way I look at it is when two (or however many) people are adults that are able to consent and have consented, no one is being hurt, if you want to call it that, besides the people who have consented. With some of the other sins listed, people who have not consented are being hurt.

What they should do is return to years long since passed, where ALL sexual activity was sinful, especially outside of marriage. That way we can ALL be miserable sinners, together, hand in hand with Jesus. All this bullshit about male:male, female:female, I no longer think Christians are in touch with their roots, and I blame the decadent nature of western society for this devolution into persecution and the superiority complex that follows. The truth is that you're absolutely right, Christians SHOULD be boycotting corporations, shunning financial institutions, and living in poverty with lepers, but what can you do, people are hypocrites and that is the only real constant involving humanity.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, selective application of Biblical injunctions seems the norm rather than the exception. I am not a Christian, but I do think that if those who are did a better job of acting as Jesus would, the world would be a much better place.

Mole

Permabanned
Actually, Victor is right about this. There have been empirical studies where adults were shown a baby in diapers without knowing its gender - they were extremely uncomfortable and continously tried to find out if it was a boy or a girl, a "he" or a "she" they saw. It´s deeply engrained.
Also, the same action of a baby get´s different reactions depending on what gender it supposedly has: boy = "look at that little rascal!" girl: "she´s a bit rough, isn´t she?" (and vice versa)

In the literate world we perceive by making distinctions.

One fundamental distinction is gender.

But an even more fundamental distinction is inner and outer. And so we get our introvert and our extrovert.

However in the noosphere, the electronic world, we hear by resonance.

The literate world consists of twenty-six distinctions called the alphabet - from alpha to omega. And all our distinctions flow from the alphabet.

But in the noosphere everything happens all at once, including puns and contradictions. Everything resonates with everything else. So everything affects everything else.

The literate world is logical while the noosphere sings or cries or whimpers or dances for joy.

We see the literate world as individuals but we hear and feel the noosphere as an electronic tribe in the global village.

Beorn

Permabanned
I'm glad you cleared this up. I always thought people asked because there isn't much else to ask about besides, "What are you going to name it?" and "When is s/he due?"

There is an alternative explanation to this phenomenon which is somewhat grounded in your initial thoughts.

It’s a Boy! It’s a Girl! It’s a Technology-Enabled “Sex Party”! | Front Porch Republic

Susan McWilliams said:
My husband and I are expecting a baby next month, and we do not know the baby’s sex.

In my case, quite a few of the people who have questioned our decision not to find out the baby’s sex are the kinds of well-off, self-styled progressives who in other kinds of conversations can be counted on to talk about the fluidity of gender identity. They are people who don’t believe all girls have to like princesses or all boys have to like football.

How do we explain a culture that tells children that sex doesn’t matter much, that “girls can do anything boys can do,” and at the same moment is treating the sex of infants in the womb as this critical, determining fact?

One part of the story here, I think, is a lesson in how easy it is for us to become governed by the technologies of our age. The cultural obsession with knowing a baby’s sex before birth allows us to see the way in which our sense of priorities can come to be dominated – dictated, even – by the technological innovations of the moment.

My suspicion is that American parents are now going overboard with all this attention to prenatal sex – with companies named things like “Fetal Greetings” selling baby-sex announcements and the emergence of something called “gender cakes” – because it is just about the only thing they can know about their babies before those babies are born. Because it is a fact that parents know, it is a fact they come to emphasize and value – and then, to overemphasize and overvalue.

Indeed, modern technologies do expand our capacity to know and reflect upon many things. But they can also restrict and narrow our thinking.

In the case of prenatal sexing of babies – in overemphasizing the importance of that information – what can get lost is the fact that a person’s sex does not reveal much about who a person is or might be (in the basic terms of character or discipline or virtue), as Socrates argued so long ago. Even more fundamentally, what can get lost is the wonderful unknowability of babies, itself a reflection of the mystery and unpredictability of us all.

But in this and other cases we should be careful not to overvalue those little things that we know, to the point that we neglect the enduring truth about our lives, that we are all partners in this grand mystery, the depths of which we cannot fathom and the extent of which we will never see. When we remember that, I think, we remember why we call it the miracle of life.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I saw a disturbing commercial for a product that claims to predict a baby's sex (they use the word "gender" which IMO is not the correct term) as early as 10 weeks of pregnancy.

Baby Gender Prediction Test | Baby Gender Predictors | Natural Remedies to help moms and babies

It's not that I have a huge problem with wanting to know the sex of your baby- but the commercial just backed up a whole host of troublesome concepts. When the test results are ready the dad in the commercial picks up a pair of blue booties and beams at his wife. The announcer's next words were "Mom tested, Daddy approved!"

This probably needs its own thread...

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I saw a disturbing commercial for a product that claims to predict a baby's sex (they use the word "gender" which IMO is not the correct term) as early as 10 weeks of pregnancy.

The usage of "sex" vs "gender" is one of the murkier aspects of usage in the social sciences. It seems like often they are used to contrast two different ideas.

One case is "sex" as in "sexual intercourse and related concepts" vs "gender" as in "male vs female in the physical, not-necessarily-intercourse-related sense." This usage seems to be more common in psychology than sociology (although it varies in psychological literature).

The other is "sex" as in "biologically male or female" vs "gender" as in "societal/cultural expectations, roles and stereotypes about masculinity and femininity." This usage seems to be far and away preferred in sociology.

Of course, my academic experience in these areas is kind of dated at this point (by about 20 years), so this may not reflect current usage.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What a completely asinine question to ask.

Strategically, not really asinine -- it makes a lot of sense.
(Sort of like sending a terminator back in time to kill the resistance leader before he grows up.)

But realistically... yeah.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Strategically, not really asinine -- it makes a lot of sense.
(Sort of like sending a terminator back in time to kill the resistance leader before he grows up.)

But realistically... yeah.

What? That's totally different. We're talking about Jesus Christ. The Terminator wanted to stop John Conner.

Wait a minute. John Conner....

J.C....

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

:steam:
:smile::newwink: :D :cheese: