• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do religions hate gays so darn much?

S

Sniffles

Here is something I saw that tries to explain how the beliefs came about originally, which it sounds like you are after.
Thanks for the article Vasilisa. I'll look it over more thoroughly later today when I get a chance. Orthodoxy Today often has great articles.

I just see one misleading part of the author's assestment of ancient civilizations, particularly Greece and Rome. While it's true that homosexuality wasn't prohibited per se, it was mostly reserved to be with boys or slaves - ie those considered inferior to the adult citizen male. In a previous thread, I discussed this to a great extent, particularly in regards to the Lex Scantinia, which made same-sex relations between adult male citizens a capital offense. Also it's commonly acknowledged that same-sex relations as such were more tolerated among the upper classes while the lower classes tend to hold a more negative view of such practices.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You don't punish a large group of innocent people in order to remove the small risk. Our legal system is even built on the principle of letting a bad guy walk so that the innocent guy won't get convicted.
Oh, but it's always easier to persecute the innocent than to prosecute the guilty. You look like you are actually doing something (and get re-elected), and don't have to make the effort to confront the real menace.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Oh, but it's always easier to persecute the innocent than to prosecute the guilty. You look like you are actually doing something (and get re-elected), and don't have to make the effort to confront the real menace.
Yep. When you prosecute someone, they have rights and you have the burden of proof and that can get expensive.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Of course it also goes on to say: "But the proper reaction to crimes committed against homosexual persons should not be to claim that the homosexual condition is not disordered."

This is the root of the problem. Although I don't think that this discursive framing of homosexuality (using medical language like "condition" or "disorder) originates in Christianity at all.

sleepy

Church is also changing. Two male artists are getting married in a traditional wedding here, as one will stand white bride. How lovely. It's not forced either, as one is a drag artist, and I presume transgendered.
White Wedding

There is still hope for the church, if they show will to adapt.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wonder... the thread title mentions "religions." I'm aware that Islam, Judaism, Christianity and Mormonism have their anti-homosexual doctrines... but what do Buddhism, Hinduism, Confucianism, Zoroastrianism, Sikhism and Shinto have to say about it? Anything?

Living in a predominantly Abrahamic western society it's Islam, Judaism and Christianity that I'm mostly interested as I see them looking to a biblical basis for their views.

The other would be interesting to know but outside of the scope that I'm looking at.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I just see one misleading part of the author's assestment of ancient civilizations, particularly Greece and Rome. While it's true that homosexuality wasn't prohibited per se, it was mostly reserved to be with boys or slaves - ie those considered inferior to the adult citizen male. In a previous thread, I discussed this to a great extent, particularly in regards to the Lex Scantinia, which made same-sex relations between adult male citizens a capital offense. Also it's commonly acknowledged that same-sex relations as such were more tolerated among the upper classes while the lower classes tend to hold a more negative view of such practices.

I found that article had a very clear bias to it, there were more than a few things that didn't gel for me. It seemed to start at the end of not accepting homosexual relations than worked backwards to create a case. The one you linked in seemed a lot more "neutral", whilst still having a core belief to be upheld.

S

Sniffles

This is the root of the problem. Although I don't think that this discursive framing of homosexuality (using medical language like "condition" or "disorder) originates in Christianity at all.

Explain please.

Mole

Permabanned
The first question they ask when we are born is, "Is it a boy or is it a girl?".

So gender is a fundamental distinction with which we order the world.

So those in Holy Orders feel they have a duty to maintain this distinction.

Fortunately in prosperous and educated societies the social order is changing.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The first question they ask when we are born is, "Is it a boy or is it a girl?".

I'm glad you cleared this up. I always thought people asked because there isn't much else to ask about besides, "What are you going to name it?" and "When is s/he due?"

sleepy

Some Christians are prejudiced against homosexuals. Others are not. My friend belongs to one Christian church where the pastor is an openly gay female in a "partnership". So similar to how all gays are not the same neither are all Christians. I would agree that a majority of Christian fundamentalist do not look on homosexuality favorably. They think it is a sin for its own sake regardless of the consequences.
Well. Yes. Things change. Remember that the bible is also the originator for the strong racism that occurred through the last millennia. It's written over and over about the superiority of the white man. Through curses people became black skinned, marry across races and death will strike. It's actually more references to racism in the bible, then it is against homosexuality. But there is not much racism going on in the church today I think, or is there? I don't know, there is at least gay suppression. Maybe because they can still get away with it?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The first question I ask is: is it healthy/OK? You are correct in that male and female are universal constants. The physical is just one aspect of this duality, however, as others have pointed out. The "women's movement" addressed this in certain ways, and the "GLBT movement" (for lack of a better term) is addressing it in others. Ideally, we will eventually be able to see each other first and foremost for the individuals we are, without making the elements of our diversity into artificial limitations.

Well. Yes. Things change. Remember that the bible is also the originator for the strong racism that occurred through the last millennia. It's written over and over about the superiority of the white man. Through curses people became black skinned, marry across races and death will strike. It's actually more references to racism in the bible, then it is against homosexuality. But there is not much racism going on in the church today I think, or is there? I don't know, there is at least gay suppression. Maybe because they can still get away with it?
I wonder sometimes if the whole "light is good, dark is evil" symbolism running through the Bible contributed to the racial prejudice we still experience today. That entire premise to me is harmful and just plain false.

O

Oberon

Well. Yes. Things change. Remember that the bible is also the originator for the strong racism that occurred through the last millennia. It's written over and over about the superiority of the white man. Through curses people became black skinned, marry across races and death will strike. It's actually more references to racism in the bible, then it is against homosexuality.

I think it's rather a stretch to say that the Bible is the "...originator for the strong racism that occurred through the last millennia." The story usually thought of as involving a person being "cursed" with dark skin is the story of Noah's son Ham, ancestor of the Caananites. If you go back and read the story, however, it never actually mentions the color of his skin. Ham was cursed, yes, but his color never changed in the biblical account. I think the apocryphal references to his skin color were probably made up by wishful Baptist preachers in the 19th century.

I think it's fairest to say not that the Bible is the cause of racism, but rather that the Bible reflects the racism of the people it portrays. If the Bible were a primary cause of racism, then it would be hard to account for the historic racism found in the Middle East and Asia (of which there was plenty). Historically, the Bible was never a significant cultural influence in these areas.

S

Sniffles

IIRC Blacks were largely seen as exotic curiousities in Medieval Europe, not really as inferior savages per se. Plus there were devotions to Black saints such as St. Maurice.

Matthias-Grunewald-XX-Meeting-of-St-Erasmus-and-St-Maurice-1517-1523-XX-Alte-Pinakothek-Munich.jpg

Meeting of St Erasmus and St Maurice by Matthias Grunewald, 1524

O

Oberon

...Not to mention another African, one Augustine of Hippo. I bet you've heard of him.

EDIT: Okay, he was NORTH African. He probably still looked like a Berber. :D

F

figsfiggyfigs

I haven't read anything in here yet. but I will.

From the top of my head.
As simply as I can put it.

I would say, religious hate the gay because apparently God said that sex, marriage, and love should be only between a man and woman.
Homosexuality defy that rule, thus defying the religion. If it exists, it questions peoples beliefs, as in " if god doesn't allow it, why is it happening??" also "you're defying god by doing this".

It's a threat to peoples foundation in their religion. Thus, religious folk think it's unholy. or w.e...

I think it's idiotic to care about what others are doing just based on your own religious beliefs. What gives you the right to judge others happiness and way of life when they are not harming anyone?

ps: religion isn't really my favorite subject : )

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm glad you cleared this up. I always thought people asked because there isn't much else to ask about besides, "What are you going to name it?" and "When is s/he due?"

Actually, Victor is right about this. There have been empirical studies where adults were shown a baby in diapers without knowing its gender - they were extremely uncomfortable and continously tried to find out if it was a boy or a girl, a "he" or a "she" they saw. It´s deeply engrained.
Also, the same action of a baby get´s different reactions depending on what gender it supposedly has: boy = "look at that little rascal!" girl: "she´s a bit rough, isn´t she?" (and vice versa)