• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes you more content/happy?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Anticipating things to come, whether it be far into the future or right around the corner, or from things that you have experienced/are experiencing in the short term?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Anticipating things to come, whether it be far into the future or right around the corner, or from things that you have experienced/are experiencing in the short term?

Normally anticipating, but that's only because I think the things to come are better than the things that have come already.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think both approaches have there merits, but I guess it is dependent upon the current situation. If I'm going through a rough patch, looking to the future would help me feel more content with life, as it would give me a context to put my current situation in. However, Living in the moment is important as it means that I can see beauty in the everyday. That I'm actually engaging with reality. I guess that's one of the contradictions of an INFP, the N's seeing things as they could be, and the P's wanting to engage in the moment.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
anticipating things to come most definitely. my life seems to get better as the years go by, so thinking about life right now does not make me happy or content, because i'm struggling in many ways, and looking at the past just brings bad memories.

im optimistic about the future. =)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I enjoy things more if I get to anticipate them for a while, especially if it's a steak or lobster dinner. :)

Isn't this an S/N question? I mean I expect the Ns to say they like anticipation, and the Ss to say they like the now. I guess I could be wrong. You just conducting an experiment?

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I am always in love with right now, since what's around the corner is never anything that I am prepared for, or even able to see.

Even if right now sucks sometimes, it can always be worse tomorrow, and in hindsight, has been.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I enjoy things more if I get to anticipate them for a while, especially if it's a steak or lobster dinner. :)

Isn't this an S/N question? I mean I expect the Ns to say they like anticipation, and the Ss to say they like the now. I guess I could be wrong. You just conducting an experiment?
I too was wondering if my question was an S/N one. I anticipate happiness myself but I test as an S (although it's almost split).

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Definitely the anticipation. I'm a pretty optimistic person, so I tend to view the future in a positive light. But I am capable deriving some contentment from the present.

I'm not so sure this is an S/N question as much as it's a test of an individual's state of mind. I could see an N preferring the present because they see the future to be bleak. I could see an S preferring the future because they're unhappy with some current situations in their life.

I think an S/N question would be more along the lines of, "What do you spend more time thinking about, the present or the future?"

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My feelings of contentment, however few and far between they may be, almost always occur during the present tense, whereas my feelings of happiness tend to be highly stimulated by either thoughts about the past or anticipations of the future.

heart

heart on fire

I have focused on the anticipation to my own detriment in life.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP

when I've planned/anticipated to a certain degree to make things comfortable, then am able to let go of that and be in the moment. Yups. In that stillness is happiness. A quiet bubble of contentment that comes from having taken care of my duties first.

ygolo

My termites win
My feelings of contentment, however few and far between they may be, almost always occur during the present tense, whereas my feelings of happiness tend to be highly stimulated by either thoughts about the past or anticipations of the future.

What CaptainChick said is pretty accurate for me too.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What makes you more happy?
The feeling that I get when I'm enthusiastic.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Usually anticipating things, but I can appreciate a particularly meaningful moment as it happens, although that's rarer for me.

Sometimes just daydreaming about possible realities, or intricate things can be a source of contentment as well.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have focused on the anticipation to my own detriment in life.
I do that too.

I have only been learning to "enjoy the moment" recently.
I sometimes remind myself to be present, mentally and emotionally.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Both make me happy.

Wouldn't it be awful to not feel happy about present events, or to not feel happy about upcoming events?

They are different contexts, there is no "more" or "less"...just a different form of happiness. It's like asking if ice cream or mashed potatoes are better (assuming you like both)...they are both good in their proper place, and it'd be pretty sad if you couldn't enjoy both, at different times.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anticipation. I find that anticipation keeps me excited while the actual experience is disappointing and nothing like what I imagined.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I'm usually more happy and content with the current, my experiences of the past, or the anticipation of whats to come can only add to or subtract from that.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm basically a happy girl.

I was woke up happy, because I got to sleep in today.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've thought this question over, and I feel I can't answer it properly because, since I never can seem to ground myself in the present (unless something HORRIBLE is happening and I can't ignore it), I rarely feel "happy" or contented. I'm always casting backward or forward. Anticipation became God long ago to compensate for the present being so bad and unlivable.

Now I'm very much internally puzzled. :-\

I'm not a type (eNFJ) to be very happy. I'm more rocked by storms than anything. Which is something I have to try and persuade myself isn't a personal failing.