• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

delusions of grandeur

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
If someone misses you when you are not around.. You have left your mark.

What else can you ask for??

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I say believe in grandeur .. One's life can be pretty amazing, even if things don't go to plan. Behind the complexities comes simplicity ..

I never thought i would leave a mark and it didn't really bother me .. Now i realise otherwise .. It's not what i would of imagined but i feel it at my very core .. This is who i am :blush:

Lark

I say believe in grandeur ..

I really like that.

In terms of leaving a mark, you can imagine that you havent done so, until you consider what you would have to do to truly erase yourself from history, not just recorded history, I think people have a much greater impact on one another than they ever realise.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm sure a lot of people were alongside me, in their younger age, with idealistic thinking of actually being someone reputable and making large accomplishments in life. At one point, I thought I might play in the NBA (ok, I didn't take it that seriously, but I gave it a thought on an occasion or two), another period of life I thought I might be in a touring band... I've since realized that I'm just another face, blending into the sea of millions alike. Being famous isn't going to happen, but that's quite alright, and actually preferable. However, my only hope and concern is that I don't settle into a life of mediocrity where I work a job I don't really enjoy, settle into a relationship I'm not inspired by and put on a fake face as I give a greeting to the strangers I pass on the street.

Do we even leave a mark? What shall our legacy be?

The bolded part. Yes, we all blend into the sea of millions but we aren't alike. Every and each of one is unique, the personality and the genetics, our looks, behavioural manners. Actually we are all unique combinations of different things. We do not need actions of grandeur to be unique (combination). It's just if we need others to confirm our uniqueness (to be a celebrity or a great athlete) or not. When a person gets older and gets to know oneself, the need of others to recognize our uniqueness gets smaller. This doesn't fit for everybody and there are always people who get to be famous scientist, athlete, pop star etc. But most of us, we'll be just unique combinations among other unique combinatios.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's more important to be satisfied or happy than to leave a legacy. A lot of miserable, messed up people have left legacies and died young, etc. There are many, many tragic cases of famous people.

It's understandable to want to make some impact on the world, and if you want to, you will. However, that may not necessarily mean that you will be Donald Trump...but there are many people who quietly make a tremendous impact on making the world go around every day.

I used to really have issues with wanting to do something "big" and started to feel bad that there was nothing hugely profound that I seemed to be doing with my life...then I realized that to me my personal happiness in daily life (i.e. being where I want to be, doing what I want to) is more important to me than many things, that I'm one of those people who value time more than money. I like being able to own my time, more so than the idea of owning stuff, though stuff is quite nice and money is useful. Also, I realized that I can make an impact on the world by my relationships with other people and simply helping others in small ways whenever I can, because who knows when you could change someone's life by helping them with something that seems small.

But that's just what matters to me, and you'll find what matters to you. I've only recently been able to come into this sort of peace with myself, so I totally relate to what you're saying.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even if you are forgotten there is still a chance you will be remembered later on. I'm looking into my family history and unearthing all kinds of intriguing people. I'd be pretty happy just knowing that my kids and grandkids remember me fondly and in future generations someone may look into their own family history and find me there, waving happily.
Also many people become renowned after they die...Top 10 People Who Became Famous after Death | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

So never stop believing....

“The country knows not yet, or in the least part, how great a son it has lost”

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I can settle for having taught something cool consciously or unconsciously to everyone I've ever known.

Mole

Permabanned
Mark, Remark and Remarkable

Walk lightly on the earth and leave not a mark in passing.

For those who are happy inside are one with the earth.

Vandals leave their mark. And their mark says simply, I am unhappy - mark my unhappiness.

And the Earth is made to be marked and erases each mark carefully with wind and rain, the very movement of Continents constantly renewing the Earth.

The Earth passes through us just as we pass through the Earth.

Our very elements began in the centre of stars, and we manufacture unhappiness at our very own centre in order to leave our mark as Marcus Brutus left his mark on Caesar and as Mark Antony remarked in his famous speech. So we mark and remark lest we be forgotten.

We all want to make our mark and be remarkable as Caesar - friends, Romans and countrymen, lend me your ears.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I really like that.

In terms of leaving a mark, you can imagine that you havent done so, until you consider what you would have to do to truly erase yourself from history, not just recorded history, I think people have a much greater impact on one another than they ever realise.

Possibly so but i am modest and appreciate the little things.

rav3n

Do we even leave a mark? What shall our legacy be?
It's rare that any person leaves a mark worth remembering.

This kind of dovetails into the meaning of life. Does it really matter if we have a meaning? Does it really matter if we make a mark?

Death is an eventuality. It's really okay to be a bit player, as long as you haven't wasted your life by hiding in fear.

F

figsfiggyfigs

This is like LOST... in the end it doesn't matter. Nothing really matters. There IS no point.

It's depressing. I for one would love to leave a positive impact behind. Sadly, the chances are very slim of any of us leaving said impact.

I can dream of grandeur, I can dream of the smaller things in life. Depending on what your final goal, your disposition, and how " grandiose" your vision is, directly effects the possibility of it happening;
Are you a prisoner that dreams of absolute freedom?
Are you infertile and dream of having kids?
Are you scraping-by and dream of owning your own company?
Are you a mathematician that dreams of solving a previously unsolvable mathematical problem?
Do you dream of inventing something that will change the way we function in our day-to-day life?

No matter what you do, and how hard you work on it, even ACCOMPLISHING what you thought will win you that voided space in history, which you can forever fill with your name, the question still remains;
Is it the achievement or the impact of that achievement you wanted?
Is it rememberable?
How long will our future generations remember it, before it fades and is rendered useless with the progression of time?

AND above all else.

was it worth it?

Bahh I hope that made sense.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I can dream of grandeur, I can dream of the smaller things in life. Depending on what your final goal, your disposition, and how " grandiose" your vision is, directly effects the possibility of it happening;
Are you a prisoner that dreams of absolute freedom?
Are you infertile and dream of having kids?
Are you scraping-by and dream of owning your own company?
Are you a mathematician that dreams of solving a previously unsolvable mathematical problem?
Do you dream of inventing something that will change the way we function in our day-to-day life?

No matter what you do, and how hard you work on it, even ACCOMPLISHING what you thought will win you that voided space in history, which you can forever fill with your name, the question still remains;
Is it the achievement or the impact of that achievement you wanted?
Is it rememberable?
How long will our future generations remember it, before it fades and is rendered useless with the progression of time?

AND above all else.

was it worth it?

:boohoo: That was beautiful. Forget I Have A Dream ... It's now ...

I Can Dream, But Is It Worth It?

Eh, we have to do something to fill our time here, no? We may as well try to squeeze our name into textbooks.

I never thought that having kids and a stable job would do it for me. But now I realize that those two things by itself is a great blessing. Some people seriously have nothing. You keep hearing about a grandmother in Africa who lost her daughter and her two sons and her first five grandchildren, is dying of HIV and still taking care of her other six grandchildren who are all starving. Wow...I am off track. Must be the Cola I am drinking.