• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Genuine experiences of paranormal activity?

Lark

Anyone experienced genuine paranormal activity or anything unexplained? I'm especially interested to hear from athiests or naturalists.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Don't know if it would be considered paranormal, but, my cousin and I went to a historical museum that used to be an infirmary for "the violently disturbed."

She dragged me along because she heard it was haunted. I don't normally believe in ghosts and things, but I tagged along just ebcause history is interesting to me.

But, I swear, in soem rooms I swear I could sense a presence, a very disturbing presence. And in otehr rooms I didn't sense it at all. Then, my cousin and I were standing at the top of the stairwell and we heard footsteps running up towards us...No one was on the stairs.

We freaked out and ran away.

Anotehr occaision, involving a different cousin, we were sleeping on the couch when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. There's a lot of people in that house so I just ignored it. The footsteps continued, until they stopped right at my side. I opened my eyes to see who it was, but nothing was there.

Not quite as terrifying as some other supposedly true horror stories I've heard. But, that's all I've experienced. Sorry. :/

F

figsfiggyfigs

I'm going to sound crazy; cause I'm not really sure wtf it would be.

a few things I've experienced. but I don't have time to share them all now.

but

Once, I was alone, walking on the 3rd floor hallway of my elementary school in this really old town in Africa.
The Floor was abandoned; students were not allowed on there , I went there merely because the washrooms there were the cleanest.

I was walking back , when all of the sudden I got pushed REALLY hard towards the staircase. The air got knocked out of my lungs, and I flew forth and almost feel over.
I was so freaked out, I ran back to class. :ninja:

I don't know wtf it was, but I never went back to the 3rd floor :laugh:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope. Won't believe it until I see it either.

Even when I see it I won't believe it and think up of rational possibilities.

I once dreamt being a bunny running through the forest and onto a road and being squashed by a car, that morning when I drove through the forest I squashed a bunny with my car.

I think I didn't actually remember my dream much, although I knew I had one. And it wasn't until after I hit the bunny that my brain linked those two events together, so I could swear it was what I dreamt after it happened. Even though I probably dreamt about something entirely different with but a few coincidental similarities.

Factotum

MBTI Type
INTP
I think I didn't actually remember my dream much, although I knew I had one. And it wasn't until after I hit the bunny that my brain linked those two events together, so I could swear it was what I dreamt after it happened. Even though I probably dreamt about something entirely different with but a few coincidental similarities.

Things like that happen to me all the time. They're just deja vus, I guess.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Even when I see it I won't believe it and think up of rational possibilities.

oh yes I do that too, when I was pushed I convinced myself it was the wind :p. Even though I was still completely freaked out x)

Lark

I tend to find that if you adopt an entirely naturalist/rationalist perspective when you're in situations which others are attributing something paranormal to then you wont freak out.

People have commented to me about how unflabbable I am during movies like The Grudge or Paranormal Activity which have people freaking out or jumping but I've told them about adopting the mindset of study, consider the cinematography, sound track, effects etc. and suddenly the fright is taken out of it.

I've not experienced anything I could consider paranormal or supernatural, not any of the things studied by para-psychology either like ESP, telekinesis, mind reading etc. Although it all intensely interests me for the most part I see a lot of people suspending disbelief in the reporting.

Houdini, surprisingly enough, has written some great books on this topic. He wasnt an athiest but he did a lot in terms of revealing shams and con artistry.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I used to wish fervently that I were psychic or clairvoyant ot etc but then I wised up. Thank god I am not sensitive or gifted in those ways bc there is a fine line between that and crazy. Were crazy people back in the day in the catholic church considered closer to god? In a way, they are.

No paranormal experiences.

When I was a kid once I thought some unknown kids outside my window were calling my name but when I went to look there was noone. I think children are prone to intense dreams and auditory hallucinations.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yes quite a few experiences.

Maybe the most plausable is regarding a shiatsu experience. Ever the optomistic skeptic i had a treatment for the first time about 5 years ago. It was at a campsite and the weather was cold and rainy. In addition i had to have the treatment at night when my kiddies were asleep so i could have it without distraction. I didn't really know much about it but was glad to learn that you keep your clothes on. I also kept my wellie boots on though because it was so cold. Anyway after the treatment i went to bed.
I had the strangest sensation of my legs stretching away from my hips and comming back into place, over and over. I wasn't afraid but it was a very very real experience and i lay there for at least an hour befor going to sleep.
I spoke to the shiatsu-er the next day and he explained that he couldn't get the energy out of my feet properly because of the wellies.
I know Chi/Ki/Qi isn't exactly paranormal, but it was a paranormal experience for me at that time. /end.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've told this before, but it was a while back, so I'll tell it again. It's my best one.

Once I went out with some friends for the evening and on the way back, for reasons I won't bore you with, I asked to be let out of the car. I thought I knew approximately where my house was from there and that if I just walked in that general direction, I would see something familiar.

But I didn't see anything familiar. I walked and walked and it got pitch dark and before you know it, I was in a very bad neighborhood, exhausted, no idea how to get home, not enough money for a cab. I saw a pay phone and I called the police, told them where I was, asked if they had a car nearby could someone give me a ride, the police said they were not a taxi service and hung up.

Next thing I knew, this very elderly lady in a beat up old car pulled up, took a look at me, said "Get in the car," and I gratefully got in the car. She asked me where I lived and I told her, and she started driving. I had a chance to look at her and I realized she was in her nightgown and robe and terry cloth house slippers. I said "Why are you driving around in the middle of the night in your robe and slippers?"

She said, "My name is Dorothy _____ [I can't remember her last name]. I am a missionary from the Antioch Baptist Church. I was sound asleep when something told me to get in the car and drive down the road. I didn't question it and didn't stop to put on my clothes, I got in the car and drove, and there you were."

Little things:
I used to go to a Christian Metaphysical Church on occasion for their message service, and usually didn't get a message, but one day a psychometrist was there and I gave her one of my earrings to hold. She told me I would be moving in the next six months. At that time, I had no plans to move whatsoever. But then I lost my job and things happened one after another such that I ended up, sure enough, moving several hours away. Oh, she also mentioned to me that I should really get the steering fixed on my car. It turned out it wasn't the steering, it was just that the tires were very low, but she was right, it wasn't steering well, and there's no way she could have known that.

I went out with friends to the local bar, where we met friends of friends, whose house we all decided to go to, but when we got there, for some reason I was the first to get to the door, and when I put my hand on the door knob, I knew I wasn't welcome. I felt the very strong presence of a disapproving woman. So I turned around and said to the man, "Oh, maybe we shouldn't go in. It's late. Your wife won't appreciate us being here." The man turned white and said his wife was dead.

Last one -- I worked for a very strict man who would not hesitate to yell and be verbally abusive, so I was nervous to make a mistake. He wanted to work on a particular file and it was missing. He blamed it on me, that I had mis-filed it, and told me to go through the entire Records room until I found the file. You have no idea what a task this would have been. It would have taken me hours. The files were in alpha order by client. So I was in the As and I prayed something like "Dear God, please let me find this file quickly!" and I put my hand up to to pull down another file -- and it was the file I was looking for. The client started with an O, so there was no reason it should have been in that section of Records.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
but I've told them about adopting the mindset of study, consider the cinematography, sound track, effects etc. and suddenly the fright is taken out of it.

So you're that person who ruins movies for people....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People have commented to me about how unflabbable I am during movies like The Grudge or Paranormal Activity which have people freaking out or jumping but I've told them about adopting the mindset of study, consider the cinematography, sound track, effects etc. and suddenly the fright is taken out of it.

What's wrong with acknowledging it's just a fictional story and thus detachment is unnecessary, as there's no actual threat involved?

It's supposed to be entertainment. I LIKE the feeling of tension and walking the edge -- similar to riding the coasters at an amusement park -- in contexts where I know no actual harm will occur. I love having the hell scared out of me. If one is not going to give oneself over to be entertained, there's probably a better way to spent two hours of time.

... Potentially paranormal stuff IRL, of course, is a different issue and it makes more sense there to be cautious if you can't truly assess the risk factor.

I've not experienced anything I could consider paranormal or supernatural, not any of the things studied by para-psychology either like ESP, telekinesis, mind reading etc. Although it all intensely interests me for the most part I see a lot of people suspending disbelief in the reporting.

I was absorbed in studying such things since I was very young, because it fascinated me and I wanted to figure out the validity of any of it. (The same sort of intensity I've brought to my explorations of faith.) I guess I just want to know if there is something else out there than what seems commonplace, and what the reality of this universe really encompasses.

I have to say, while supernatural studies are all fascinating, conclusive evidence seems to be fleeting. There are lots of obvious frauds, and the best I can ever find simply is ambiguous rather than conclusive. Even studying possession stories (I've collected a number of books on the topic), I still can't discern the degree of truth involved.

Houdini, surprisingly enough, has written some great books on this topic. He wasnt an athiest but he did a lot in terms of revealing shams and con artistry.

Yup, kind of like James Randi nowadays.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yes I have had lots in fact I just take them as part of everyday life... well maybe not everyday life but maybe everyweek life HAHAHA ;) (Please no puns! GRRR :D) I won't share them though cos I have had the misfortune of being called 'touched' in the past.. and I want to delude myself that I have a rep to keep hold of here HEE HEE

But yea loads... I think if anyone opens themselves up to it they will experience it to.. lots of people have experienced that stuff when they are with me too.... I found that it got more inetsne after I lost someone very close to me. I was with them when they died and I sensed them come out of their body, we had a very strong bond and so it kind of made it more common in my house etc.