• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychological Functions and objectivity/subjectivity

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I am currently reading Kierkegaard's "Fear and Trembling" and I find that his idea of the individual has a lot to do with Fi (I have often seen Kierkegaard cited as an example of the INFP type).
I've been thinking that many of the great philosophers possibly came up with notions that they considered universal truths while they were really priorities linked to their own psychological type, thus leading many to follow a vision that was actually quite subjective.
At the same time, a healthy, mature philosopher who makes the best of his psychological functions can offer a facet of reality that is truly useful to society.

I believe that learning about psychological types can be beneficial to scholars in order to realize there are many colours to truth, (or as the Bible puts it "the manifold wisdom of God,") and considering these many facets could lead them to greater objectivity and an honest search for truth.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
I am currently reading Kierkegaard's "Fear and Trembling" and I find that his idea of the individual has a lot to do with Fi (I have often seen Kierkegaard cited as an example of the INFP type).
I've been thinking that many of the great philosophers possibly came up with notions that they probably considered universal truths while they were really priorities linked to their own psychological type, thus leading many to follow a vision that was actually quite subjective.
At the same time, a healthy, mature philosopher who makes the best of his psychological functions can offer a facet of reality that is quite useful to society.

I find that learning about psychological types is quite useful to scholars in order to realize there are many colours to truth, (or as the Bible puts it "the manifold wisdom of God,") and considering these many faces may lead them to greater objectivity and an honest search for truth.

I was about to bold one of your sentences and tell you how right I thought you were, but then I realized pretty much everything you said is dead-on. As much as I love reading the writing of mystics and other non-academics, sometimes I have to concede and say that the great things can come out of a free and honest thinker who chooses to work within that stifling and sycophantic world that is academia.

For me, when you said a healthy, mature philosopher who can make the best of his psychological functions, I immediately thought of Emmanuel Levinas. If you're interested, I'll tell you more.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
For me, when you said a healthy, mature philosopher who can make the best of his psychological functions, I immediately thought of Emmanuel Levinas. If you're interested, I'll tell you more.

I tried reading one of his books, but it was very much written in the intellectual jargon and particularly tedious to read, although I found his ideas interesting.
If you wish to paraphrase his concepts and share your thoughts on what you have understood, go ahead! :)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
There is less room for subjectivity in sciences nowadays. And basically that is the only chance for the universal philosophy... That unfortunately means that real philosophy is dead. I kinda liked the subjectivity.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
There is less room for subjectivity in sciences nowadays. And basically that is the only chance for the universal philosophy... That unfortunately means that real philosophy is dead. I kinda liked the subjectivity.

Science tends to have a very NT mentality if you ask me... ;)
So its "objective" rationality is kind of subjective. I think many NT scientists need to understand that feeling and S stuff are also a very important part of the equation.