• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychic readings

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Ok, I'm a total skeptic when it comes to this stuff and I think it's common knowledge that plenty of these "psychic readers" are a fraud, but are there many that truly believe in what they're doing? Are they just delusional?

What have your experiences been with psychics if you've had any?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm exceptionally sceptical, I went to one once just to see what it was like. It seems quite suggestive and I can easily see how people can want to believe so much that they do.

I have friends who own a new agey type shop, they read tarot cards and have others in doing other things like healing and readings. I dunno what I think of that, I accept that there are unknown things and life doesn't hold the same experiences or views for each person so while it's not for me there may be truth or value in it for others. Basically I try to keep an open mind about something that I've never experienced, but I am rather sceptical.

At the end of the day a lot of the things that come out of readings can be positive and help a person re-focus on areas that aren't working, if you don't get hung up on the whole "you will meet the blond 6 foot tall man of your dreams on an ocean liner near Greece within 3 years" then anyone could get something out of it, if they wanted to.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
How would somone get something out of the experience if the "psychic" isn't really communicating with a different realm?

I'm truly curious because I don't know what a session with one of these people would be like. Can you tell more of your experience?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The person I saw considered herself a psychic but read tarot cards, I'm not sure if they are usually different things.

Anyway throughout the session she was flipping cards, raising topics and asking a number of questions, she would then give opinions based on the cards obviously, but also based on how I presented and what I said. If for example the topic of work were to come up and I let on that I didn't enjoy my job, she may then go on to talk of new opportunity that could present itself for me.

Any specific predictions about a new opportunity wouldn't interest me but anything she said about the opportunity may help shift my focus from what I'm unhappy about to something that could enthuse me.

I don't consider that worth paying good money for, but it can be an exercise in thinking outside the box. Anyone who makes a living as a psychic would have to be able to read people well, which would mean they could therefore give some appropriate advice.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I have seen a psychic once, 5 years ago, but she preferred to be called clairvoyant. I had heard about her through a casual acquaintance.

The first thing she told me was that I had a female cat who was old but that she would live several more years. Effie, my old chinchilla, was 14 at the time. The clairvoyant also told me that the cat would develop a benign cyst on her back but that it wouldn't be painful or cancerous. She lived to the grand old age of 19yo and did indeed develop a non-painful cyst on her back it was about half an inch in diameter.

The second thing she told me was that I would have serious problems with my stomach and that I would take my sustenance through a straw. I gave a little wry chuckle as I had had a very bad helicobacter infection.

I shouldn't have laughed! After a further helicobacter infection my gastroenterologist found a bezoar (undissolved fibre ball in the stomach)which he deconstructed on a gastroscopic investigation. I thought it was over but I again became ill when my stomach started producing way too much acid and it was burning a hole in my stomach and oesophagus as the valve in my oesophagus wasn't closing and the bottom valve in my stomach wasn't opening.

I subsequently had 2/3 of my stomach surgically removed and did indeed have to take my sustenance through a straw for the first few weeks!

Her other predictions are personal and relating to my children and husband so I won't share them here but can tell you they were 80% accurate.

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
^
Creepy.

Hey Beat,
I dabble about with Tarot cards for fun. If you want a reading/have a question you want answered pop me a PM and I'll give it a whirl. Just don't take it too seriously, ok? ;) I'm still not 100% on where I stand with this stuff.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^
Creepy.

Hey Beat,
I dabble about with Tarot cards for fun. If you want a reading/have a question you want answered pop me a PM and I'll give it a whirl. Just don't take it too seriously, ok? ;) I'm still not 100% on where I stand with this stuff.
Oh fun. Is any general question ok to ask?

PM coming.

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
I figure? I mean people go to these psychics all the time and ask any question they may have on their minds so... :laugh: I can't see there being any restriction on it.

Basically, I'll read over your PM and determine myself what kind of reading I'll do for you. ;) This is exciting. Can't wait for your PM. :hug:

Snow Turtle

Hmm. I've mostly got second hand information when it comes to psychic reading. My mother claims that the village psychic knew that she was married to my father, who owned a factory in the UK. Nothing spectacular there, as it can easily be figured out through cold-reading. The coincidence was the part where she claimed that my father had a serious problem with his nose, which he did eventually go to get surgery performed on. It wasn't totally accurate however, as she had my mother believe that it was life threatening. But that only goes to show you that 'psychic' information isn't always 100% accurate as it goes through a filter.

My 1st experience:
The individual kept informing me that I'm still learning. He told me some information about guides and so fourth, trying to help me figure out which path to take in regards to university choices and comforting me in the fact that I was extremely attached to my current friends and wanted to be with them. He mentioned the number 4, and asked whether that meant anything to me. It didn't mean anything back then, but I suppose looking back it could have referred to the fact that there was the 4th path even though it looked like I only had 3 paths. I stayed at the university I wanted to, to do psychology even though I was convienced I had to leave, stick with the course or change to something slightly different. Then again, that's just random connections.

I had told him about how I was thinking about educational psychology at the beginning of the conversation. The weird part was when he suddenly blurted out "The guides say that you won't be a teacher"... which was actually one of my potential career ideas for an extremely long time. Now, it's not exactly out of the blue in the sense that he could have easily linked educational psychologist to potential teacher, but it's all abit weird.

2nd experience:
Answered some questions and raised some new questions. This one talked about the idea of past lives. It claimed that I had made a promise to a friend (I asked about) about being together forever, that I never got to keep that promise because I died in war instead, and that the promise has become a burden on the two of us (unnecessary attachment). The part that made me facepalm was the fact that it claimed this happened in ancient china. It just seemed kinda cheesy. =/

Overall, I'd like to explore these stuff a little more in the future but I'm becoming more reluctant to examine my life through these tools as I find they influence my own views and actions a little too much. For example, astrology claims that I'm not a good match with my girlfriend (22%)... I'd prefer to ignore it and go ahead with the relationship even though I'm uncertain about the future. Jeez, I'd never have expected I'd be travelling down this 'uncertainty' path given my preference for certainty.

Lark

I absolutely do believe that there is unexplained phenomenon of the mind which should be researched, like extra sensory perception, kelikinesis etc. but even in the discipline of parapsychology there appears to be too much which is credulous and not skeptical.

Some of it is suggestion and a great many people want to believe, similar to spiritualism, but a lot of quasi-spiritual disciplines or services are neglected because of prejudice. I find it funny too that many who cant believe in God and who would never think of consulting a priest, monk or theist will entertain the idea of tarot readings, spiritualists and mediums.

There is, I believe, a dark side to this, it is much like the function of the Oracles in delphi, if it simply is not a fraud then it could be genuinely inexplicable phenonemon which can be dangerous, what if the individual isnt simply delusion but possessed by spirits with their own agenda? What if you are?

In any case I imagine that genuine forecasting of the future would be incredibly difficult or impossible for the same reasons largely as time travel, it would be loaded with paradoxes and contradictions. Even in one of the best accounts of it in fiction, Paul Atraides (spelling) in God Emperor of Dune, when he uses "prescent vision" can not tell exactly what will happen, he wonders if the telling and speculating cause the very things to happen.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Unfortunately there idd many frauds out there. Personally, I read tarot and do other things that are considered 'psychic' as well. I started (coz I come from a rather science-oriented family) coz I was intrigued by buying a deck and just testing the hell out of it. I found it to be rather good, especially if I was in an emotionally stable mood, so I stuck with it.

I'm with Lark though. Magic and psychic abilities are just a part of nature..a part of the stuff we *haven't* been able to crack yet, a part of our genetic make-up, I think. And if I'd have to guess, I too would think it's part of the human brain, like an overdeveloped intuition.

Either way, aside from being curious about it at first, the other reason I actually learned mysefl was coz I knew *I* would never lie to myself, and therefore I could be sure that I wasn't being taken for a ride by some charlatan. Downside is..I'm just an amateur, so it has its limitations.

Lark

Unfortunately there idd many frauds out there. Personally, I read tarot and do other things that are considered 'psychic' as well. I started (coz I come from a rather science-oriented family) coz I was intrigued by buying a deck and just testing the hell out of it. I found it to be rather good, especially if I was in an emotionally stable mood, so I stuck with it.

I'm with Lark though. Magic and psychic abilities are just a part of nature..a part of the stuff we *haven't* been able to crack yet, a part of our genetic make-up, I think. And if I'd have to guess, I too would think it's part of the human brain, like an overdeveloped intuition.

Either way, aside from being curious about it at first, the other reason I actually learned mysefl was coz I knew *I* would never lie to myself, and therefore I could be sure that I wasn't being taken for a ride by some charlatan. Downside is..I'm just an amateur, so it has its limitations.

Yeah, its portrayed that way in the Dune novel, the character is essentially the product of selective breeding and genetic narco manipulation in order to create someone with over developed intuitive faculties.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
no dude they are real, i went to a really good one that charged me a lot of money (because she was soooo good) and she said trouble would soon come into my life. three weeks later, my cat was hit by a car..

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT, BEAT, HOW.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Ok, I'm a total skeptic when it comes to this stuff and I think it's common knowledge that plenty of these "psychic readers" are a fraud, but are there many that truly believe in what they're doing? Are they just delusional?

What have your experiences been with psychics if you've had any?

I haven't had any but I would like to try reading because I'm open to a possibilty even if I'm not a believer but I'm not dibeliever either.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been to a gajillion. I hate to say it, but it's mostly crap. Which is not to say there's no such thing as premonitions, etc., but ... it's mostly crap. I reeeely wanted to believe, too, but I can't, based on a couple of decades of trying it out every which way.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
The problem I have with psychics is that they are negating the possibility of free will and so I don't like them. I have had experiences with psychics in the past and most of it from what i can see is cold reading. None of it came true because I didn't want it to. However, my two friends who had readings at the same time as me both found the reading accurate and alot of what was said came to pass, sooooo......

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
no dude they are real, i went to a really good one that charged me a lot of money (because she was soooo good) and she said trouble would soon come into my life. three weeks later, my cat was hit by a car..

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT, BEAT, HOW.

"Trouble will come into your life..."
Three weeks later, you stubbed your toe. Big woop.

But I do believe there are people out there with "psychic abilities". I believe we all have them, just whether or not it is brought out. Like people who claim to see ghosts, I think there are people out there that can do that.

Same goes for people who can see the future, I believe that some people can do that to. Because I swear, there was this one day that I knew exactly what was going to happen throughout the whole day. And it did... And it was weird.

But I do believe that there are wayyyy to many frauds out there also.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dream about becoming a destined hero in a far away kingdom called Geldar where I battle evil demons and powerful beast in order to save the kingdom and become an icon of hope and prosperity for all its inhabitants, all the while achieving immortality as well as a harem of lovely girls.

Nothing has come true yet, it's all bogus I tell you.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It could be true in a parallel universe.