• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you want to know the date of your death?

If you could know the exact date and time of your death, would you want to know?

• Yes, I'm an E

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Yes, I'm an I

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Yes, I'm an S

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Yes, I'm an N

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Yes, I'm a T

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Yes, I'm a F

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Yes, I'm a J

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Yes, I'm a P

• No, I'm a E

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • No, I'm a I

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • No, I'm a S

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No, I'm a N

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No, I'm a T

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • No, I'm a F

• No, I'm a J

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • No, I'm a P

Votes: 14 31.8%

• Total voters

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
I like to have things planned, so yes it would be nice to know, so i know what to do before.. but however, then I might not start a family, because they shouldn't feel the loss of me.. so no...

I would like to know, but no I would not... I do not know. There are pros and cons to both knowing and not.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't feel like doing the polling because I see both pro's and con's to it.

Yes, I'd be strung out at the end, maybe, trying to squeeze out every last moment of living I can.

At the same time, it would light a fire under me to actually accomplish my life goals rather than procrastinating.

Besides, it's not just a bad thing knowing the date of your death; you might be assured that you will not live PAST that date, which seems bad... but you also know that you will not die BEFORE that day, so you can try whatever you want to try, knowing that it won't kill you. You are ensured of survival until that particular day.

O

Oberon

Sure. I'd like to know not only the date but also the cause, so that I could plan properly.

Levitas

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I would want to know because that would be a huge motivator for me to get out in the world and do more things with life.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The possibility of making such a data available would be interesting in terms of determinism vs uncertainty. Even if uncertain the degree of uncertainty could be quite informative in terms of minimal scales at which 'uncertainty exists' and its translation at the macro scale.

There's also the whole bit about free will and how observing change the observed system and infinite regressions (if you know, but the system predicts for you knowing, but you know that the system probably knows so you make up for it but the predictive systems accounts for that and ..)

Then again you could easily have free will and determinism being both correct depending on the point of view (wether seen from the information available in the future or from now etc.)
Then again a predictive system that would only give you the information after it happens would be sort of useless.

Well, you could always say that the prediction will happen but in one of the possible futures and will only make sense/be correct in computational terms in one (of many) future state but then again that's not very useful to you right now at the 'root' state of this 'multiple futures tree'
A bit like economists predicting a crysis after it happened.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
^that's what I said!!

where is this information coming from, this date?! incomplete question without the system that is producing the computation and what variables are going into it

rav3n

Yes, 100% I would want to know if at all possible. Death doesn't scare me since it's a definitive eventuality although I'm not going to hit the speed governor during rush hour traffic.

Life changing choices would source from this knowledge.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, 100% I would want to know if at all possible. Death doesn't scare me since it's a definitive eventuality although I'm not going to hit the speed governor during rush hour traffic.

Life changing choices would source from this knowledge.

Nicely stated, I concur 100%.

You bet your sweet fangs I'd be gettin' shit done and havin' some fun! :woot:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
^that's what I said!!

where is this information coming from, this date?! incomplete question without the system that is producing the computation and what variables are going into it

I never read idiotic threads, so i wouldn't know. But yeah, that's what crossed my mind. Well, more like struck it violently followed with nearly painful levels of boredom.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There wouldn't be a point to knowing it. Once you found out you would inevitably avoid the circumstances leading up to it and it would end up being different.

or you would try to avoid it and thereby accidentally cause your own death, which would blow.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I answered Yes, I'm an E
I answered No, I'm an N
I answered Yes, I'm an F
I answered No, I'm an P

Conflicted.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hell no.

Even if I knew, I wouldn't want to make any plans, so that wouldn't be an advantage to me. If it's too far, I'd be nothing but disappointed. If it's too soon, all I'd do is think about my coming death.

Lark

Where's Tellenbach with the Libertarian non-aggression principle?

I like that idea, I dont think that capitalism is non-aggressive but that's a whole other story.

Mole

Permabanned
I am fortunate because I can choose the date of my death. I have the legal right to refuse medical treatment, so all I have to do is to refuse treatment and I am dead within a week. On a regular basis patients around me reach the end of their tether, and refuse treatment, and are dead within a week.

Thanatos is the will to die, and Muselmann have lost the will to live, and I see this drama play out in front of me, like a play in a theatre.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I would want to know. I try to live like every day is the last and i find that its impactful, but i cant imagine knowing the actual day and how much more it would make me committed to living a life that's expansive and full of meaning for myself.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't want to know. On this particular topic, ignorance would be bliss -- I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my remaining time here with a gigantic doomsday clock looming over my head.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I wouldn't want to know. On this particular topic, ignorance would be bliss -- I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my remaining time here with a gigantic doomsday clock looming over my head.

what if it was a small wrist watch and measured in nanoseconds would feel like you had foreeeveeeeeeeer until you didn't

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
what if it was a small wrist watch and measured in nanoseconds would feel like you had foreeeveeeeeeeer until you didn't

No, it would still be in the back of my mind. I'd end up coveting the instrument of my demise, going full Gollum from Lord of the rings and carrying it around with me everywhere while staring hour hand nonstop as I countdown the fading of my life force. Nope. Pass. I may get hit by a bus today but half the fun is not knowing what's coming next.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I dunno I still think there are so many things people put off doing because they are scared they will die , if you removed that possibility then it would be interesting to see the choices made.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
What if you instead had a watch that told you how long it would be until you really lived? I bet it would only be a few minutes shorter than your death countdown. Perhaps just 30 seconds.