• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is God Evil?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If God is a fairy tale, then the question "Is God Evil?" is absurd and there is no point in answering.

Is Nurse Rached from One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest evil or not? It is still an interesting debate, regardless of it's nature, be it fact or fiction.

O

Oberon

Is Nurse Rached from One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest evil or not? It is still an interesting debate, regardless of it's nature, be it fact or fiction.

It's arguable... but one would hardly interrupt such a debate by declaring that Nurse Ratched was a fable.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you're going to ask the question "Is God Evil?" and expect to reach a conclusion without even accepting the premise of the existence of God, you've started on a fool's errand.

One assumption intrinsic to the question is that there is in fact a God. What I have discussed here is what I hope is a fair representation of the Judeo-Christian perspective on the matter.

Judeo-Christianity and all religions do not prove god, they assume god :yes:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
If God is a fairy tale, then the question "Is God Evil?" is absurd and there is no point in answering.

We learn lessons about the real world from fairy tales, without believing them to be true. We learn what behavior conforms with group values and what goes against it.

When culture has evolved enough, we can also go back and see whether those lessons are applicable, or whether that group has traits we'd rather not sustain within ourselves. We can also determine whether the totem of that group has the same traits.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Or don't believe in fairy tales.

I swear, and theists call atheists smug.

Son, nobody's telling you to believe in God. What we are discussing is if God is evil. Nobody cares about your atheism. You just bring it in to every conversation you can because believers discomfort you. Shit or get off the pot.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You misunderstand my objection.

Actually, I was ignoring it. I'm just throwing some thoughts on some angles in the topic but when it comes down to argueing about wether God is real or not, I tend to stay clear. My apologies for choosing one of your posts to quote for my own pleasure, without seriously wanting to attend the discussion!

O

Oberon

We learn lessons about the real world from fairy tales, without believing them to be true. We learn what behavior conforms with group values and what goes against it.

When culture has evolved enough, we can also go back and see whether those lessons are applicable, or whether that group has traits we'd rather not sustain within ourselves. We can also determine whether the totem of that group has the same traits.

Then what exactly is the point of your objection in Post 100?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then what exactly is the point of your objection in Post 100?

Oooh, I misread your post and thought you said It's arguable... but one would hardly interrupt such a debate by declaring that Nurse Ratched was an angel. I mean, it's not much of a debate wether or not she is evil. She is probably the most evil woman in movie history. >.>

So I thought you made a joke, instead of going back on the original post of someone barging in a topic about wether god is evil or not by saying it's not an issue as god is fiction.

While ironically, the debate of usefulness of fiction is worth an entire seperate discussion, as both fact and fiction are equally important in expansion of knowledge. You can not learn new aspects such as morals and ethics in the first place without delving into the imaginary.

But I'm trailing again. :D

O

Oberon

I don't have to accept that the Christian God is real to be able to discuss whether or not our society would call that concept "evil".

Precisely so. We are agreed on that point.

Therefore, I ask again... what is the point of your objection in Post 100?

G

Ginkgo

_godzilla-mothra.jpg

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Precisely so. We are agreed on that point.

Therefore, I ask again... what is the point of your objection in Post 100?

The characterizations of "too rebellious" or "stubborn", as that I have the problem for not believing the same things they do, including unprovable assertions.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Son, nobody's telling you to believe in God. What we are discussing is if God is evil. Nobody cares about your atheism. You just bring it in to every conversation you can because believers discomfort you. Shit or get off the pot.

As you do your religion? Pot, meet kettle.

It's hard to discuss IF God is evil when your response will reflexively be "God can't be evil".

O

Oberon

Well, let's start over with a pretty simple approach to the question "Is God Evil?"

Just define God, and define Evil, and see if the two coincide.

Simple, right?