• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thoughts on the Human Animal

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I guess I'm not very articulate today, but this pisses me off to no end Especially in the context of community and political organizing or just engaging with society, I feel like there are so many naysayers and otherwise apathetic people who let horrible stuff happen with this detached or even cynical "humans are just animals" aka "that's just the way things are".

I just want to shake these people by the shoulders and say, "Snap out of it! You live HERE in the REAL WORLD. People have BRAINS, we have an economy based on COMMERCE and LABOR and MONEY. We have LANGUAGE and HIGHER FUNCTIONING INTELLIGENCE. Get over it and please join us in the 21st century."

Okay, okay, I'm in a cranky mood. And this rant isn't directed at the OP, but these kind of arguments or focus on the philosophical nature of humanity really does remind me of how they are so often related (IMHO) to apathy, cynicism, and really people who knowingly or not, get in the way of engaged citizens who are trying to work with the practical tools in society -- laws, legislature, electoral government, lobbying, etc. to IMPROVE society ergo humanity ergo help use rise further from pure base animal instincts and simplified excuses.

I think the point of civilization is to rise out of any need or justification to live just like animals.

I agree with most of this, actually. I've always valued civilization, and have appreciated the results of having it. I guess it's because I feel that everything good or evil comes from humans, and that feelings are a part of humanity as a whole rather than a part of reality, and that people and their thoughts/feelings are therefore more precious than everything else.