• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are some people spiritual or philosophical growth limited by type?

Lark

Can your type limit your spiritual or philosophical growth? I was wondering this after getting an abridged copy of Meister Eckhart's works, he eschewed logic and reason altogether in his spirituality, its a good read and I've always thought that rationality and logic here over rated but I do have an inclination towards more of a thinking mans approach that seems to be present here.

This was pointed out to me once by a Jesuit who, without being quite able to find the words, suggested that I use "imagination" rather than thinking or, specifically, reading.

What's everyones views, do you only grow within the channel set by your type?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Type has little to do with spiritual growth, though I think one's display of and practice in their spirituality may be illustrated differently among the different types.

But I must ask, what does growth in spiritualism look like to you?

KDude

I thought that it was strange that this page said the ISFP was inclined to be spiritual.

They're more spiritually aware than most people, and are more in touch with their soul than others. Most ISFPs have strong Faith. Those that don't may feel as if they're missing something important. An ISFP should nourish their faith.

I'd probably take offense at that if I was another type. I happen to be spiritual though, but more in a personalized way. I still end up getting in disagreements with traditional clergy, or laymen alike (not all Christians either.. some Buddhists as well).

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Can your type limit your spiritual or philosophical growth? I was wondering this after getting an abridged copy of Meister Eckhart's works, he eschewed logic and reason altogether in his spirituality, its a good read and I've always thought that rationality and logic here over rated but I do have an inclination towards more of a thinking mans approach that seems to be present here.

This was pointed out to me once by a Jesuit who, without being quite able to find the words, suggested that I use "imagination" rather than thinking or, specifically, reading.

What's everyones views, do you only grow within the channel set by your type?

True INTPs are one of the few types that could care less about 'acceptance' or 'validation' from others, so peer pressure is meaningless, and from what I can see, that is the big reason so many struggle with this.

I do not believe you have to throw out logic or reason in order to be 'spiritual', but I see that many people do believe that it is one or the other. Personally, spiritual to me means religion. I do not believe in religion. I have a personal, daily, relationship with Jesus Christ. I got to that point because it was illogical and unreasonable to not believe. He speaks, it happens, period. It blows my mind.

Lark

True INTPs are one of the few types that could care less about 'acceptance' or 'validation' from others, so peer pressure is meaningless, and from what I can see, that is the big reason so many struggle with this.

I do not believe you have to throw out logic or reason in order to be 'spiritual', but I see that many people do believe that it is one or the other. Personally, spiritual to me means religion. I do not believe in religion. I have a personal, daily, relationship with Jesus Christ. I got to that point because it was illogical and unreasonable to not believe. He speaks, it happens, period. It blows my mind.

Yeah, I knew I totally and utterly opposed your version of Christianity, you pretty much just confirmed all my prejudices about you. Going to go with my prejudices more often I think.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I knew I totally and utterly opposed your version of Christianity, you pretty much just confirmed all my prejudices about you. Going to go with my prejudices more often I think.

Too protestant sounding for north ireland eh?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
What is spiritual growth?

Unless you just mean spiritual change, it would be impossible to gauge without knowing which aspects of spirituality are "higher" or "better" than others.

gromit

likes this
No... I think we are all 'limited' in different ways. There are so many ways to grow. So many paths to wholeness, based on where we start. And I think wholeness will look different based on where we start as well.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
Spirituality does not mean 'Christianity'. And yes, my type does affect my pursuit of spirituality. I have studied MANY different religions in depth to see which one I agree with the most. And that doesn't mean to my benefit, either.
I feel a deeper understanding of what other people feel when they choose a religion for themselves, and foremost what I choose for me.
Religion is not what people tell you. It is what you find. It is not material items handed to you in a box from your mom on Christmas. It is a powerful surge of knowing something you feel to be true. And the INTP with Introverted Thinking will contemplate many aspects of something, especially if handed to them. They have to find it for themselves. And that is religion to this INTP.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTPs are supposed to be amongst the lowest of all MBTI types with regard to associating with spiritual ideals, or participating in spiritual social groups/organizations, something like that. I am going to have to agree on this one. :cheese:

I have my own definition of spirituality, and am at peace with it, and the univers, and the God of my understanding, but I'll be damned if I am going to let anyone, or any organization tell me what to think or feel. :thumbdown:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is spiritual growth?

Unless you just mean spiritual change, it would be impossible to gauge without knowing which aspects of spirituality are "higher" or "better" than others.
True, but I would suggest that growth corresponds to increased spiritual understanding. In other words, a specific flavor of change. One's new spiritual framework may be "better" than the old one only in the sense that it is more suited to one's situation and needs in life. Having made the change, one now has new insights to add to the old.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Can your type limit your spiritual or philosophical growth?

Hmm... I don't know how far can you really get with spirituality... I haven't really experienced anything truly magical and if I won't have any enlightening experience in the future, I expect that I have now come to the limit of the philosophical type of spirituality. I can admit that there is nothing for certain, it is just the vague thing here that is my life and I have no idea where it comes from and I don't see anything other than some religious experience that could take away this feeling of... ignorance. Personally I think that anyone who doesn't get to this point is just not fond of thinking, I don't see any other places to get to if you think long enough...

So, is this a reflection of my type?

G

Ginkgo

I do not think that philosophical/spiritual growth is limited by type. I think we all grow in different directions, like bushes and trees grow according to their environment and species. Some of us are tomatoes who grow into the ground, while others are palm trees who grow one way up, and others are like vines who go all over the place without one fixed foundation.

I have seen tendencies for particular types to hold particular philisophical or spiritual beliefs. I see patterns, but thos patterns are not universal to every individual.

I often see that those who have strong inclinations for Fi are fond of valuing what it means to be human. Albert Schweitzer, for instance, coined the philosophy of "reverence for life" (INFP). He thought that Western Society was trying to derive ethical standards from empirical reality, which was/is dangerous because the empirical world is ethically neutral. This indicates a strong preference for Fi and a lesser preference for Te. You can also see this in Tom Paine's (ENFP) The Rights of Man, emphasizing individual freedoms and securities.

TJs, on the other hand, particularly NTJs, tend to focus on observing empirical evidence, digesting it, and synthesizing it into something unforeseen. Their assessments always strike me as more superficial than assessments of those who prefer Ti. Ayn Rand always comes to mind here, with her Objectivism crock of a philosophy. I think C.S. Lewis was wonderful at turning concepts upside down in a similar way, though he certainly had different values than Rand.

Remember that your type does not limit your growth. Your type is just a model. You determine what your path is, though it will be augmented through the lens of your worldview, which is not determined by type, but instead shaped by type.

Lark

I kind of want to transcend type I think and experience major sensing, feeling, percepting as a spiritual trip.

G

Ginkgo

I kind of want to transcend type I think and experience major sensing, feeling, percepting as a spiritual trip.

Why? Do you feel like your current mode of thinking is limiting what you think you ought to believe?

Lark

Why? Do you feel like your current mode of thinking is limiting what you think you ought to believe?

Not what I ought to believe, that's fine but on an experiential level, I'm thinking it not living it, although it could be the influence of Meister Eckhart et al who're mystics rather than thinker judgers.

G

Ginkgo

Not what I ought to believe, that's fine but on an experiential level, I'm thinking it not living it, although it could be the influence of Meister Eckhart et al who're mystics rather than thinker judgers.

How do you want to experience it? You could go out and do some charity work, or maybe a mission. Those sorts of things can change your experience quite deeply.

... Or are you talking about drug induced spiritual trips or something? Uhh...

G

Ginkgo

I really think that logic and reason are both core faculties of the human mind, and as such, they must play some role in every human endeavor. This includes spirituality.

But you really can't reason unless you have faith in your reason; and you can't have faith unless you have reason to do so. They're pretty much part of the same mold.

The problem, I think, arises when people neglect one or the other too much.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Type has nothing to do with a sense of spirituality. Nothing at all. Neither does logic, although you may feel a need to reconcile your spiritual inclinations with, say, the physical laws of the universe...