• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the purpose of your life?

Mole

Permabanned
Come now Victor, I'm looking for your defination of the meaning of life, not Charles Darwin :). Unless, you're telling me that his defination is your defination and you have nothing to add to it.

If you just care to read below, you will find our purpose is the greatest good for the greatest number.

Mole

Permabanned
Yeah, that is what I think. There is purpose to be found in life and it is right in front of us.

I think I prefer the distinction that natural selection has no purpose. In other words, we have not been selected by God or natural selection for a purpose.

However we see purpose all around us because we are meaning creating animals.

We can't help ourselves. Meaning and purpose are our default positions.

This can be illustrated by its opposite when we deliberately turn off the meaning part of our brains and everything comes as a surprise.

Of course we can't live in a world of surprise all the time and we quickly revert back to our default position of meaning and purpose.

But it is refreshing and relaxing to deliberately let it go for while, and then return as if returning home.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you just care to read below, you will find our purpose is the greatest good for the greatest number.

Haha you got me, when I saw good ol Charles name I immediately jump to conclusion. You have to forgive me, old habit die hard.

I'm really looking into the overall purpose of humanity on the grand scheme of thing. It's easy to see that contributing to society while persuing happiness is a justifiable reason to exist. After all, there are many evidence that if one puts the happiness of the whole first, everyone will eventually profit from the effort. A good example of this mentality is Japan who promote the well being of the country first and self second and have had good result while country like the Philippines who put leaders that put self first harm the whole as a result (not that I condemn my home country, I'm just merely making an observation).

However, when everything is said and done, my question is to what end are we making these efforts. What does the greater good of humanity have to do with our overall purpose as human. Certainly, science have explain many of nature's mysteries and as a result made some people's life easier. But it's an illusion to think that making life easier to everyone would result in happiness. Afterall, all it does is set a new standard of living that everyone will eventually get used to living in. It does nothing to explain the overall purpose of humanity in the grand scheme of things.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
the purpose i have created for myself is to use the talents i have developed over the past 22-some years to assist members of my community, by whatever means.

KDude

there is no purpose really. my life, and anyone else's, is just indicative of a greater purpose all outside ourselves: the universe as a whole, life in general terms, may have purpose. i'm willing to say that. what i think internally and personally may not. and the more i redirect outwards and align myself with those small glimpses of the universal, the more i might be in touch with what true purpose is.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
To save the UNIVERSE

the whole thing...

as in, all of it.

ps. You're welcome.

Lark

You do a little good and it all comes back to you nah, nah, nah, nah - nah, nah

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
This is really the only important question there is to ask, isn't it?

No, not particularly. It is a question that is boring, vague and unanswerable. "Will Deus Ex: Human Revolution be even half as good as the best video game in history?" is a question which it is far more profitable to ruminate upon.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
"Will Deus Ex: Human Revolution be even half as good as the best video game in history?" is a question which it is far more profitable to ruminate upon.

But that question has too many sad possible answers for me to want to ruminate upon it

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I believe each of us has a gift. Doing this gift, one achieves a sense of happiness as well as utter timelessness. Finding one's gift will allow the spirit the freedom to soar. This is what life this life is. Find your gift and thus you find yourself. I happen to have a penchant for writing as well as a oratory skill when giving speeches. Doing your gift benefitting the world upon which we live on called earth. Reaching a heightened state of consciousness called flow. For each of us are interrelated with every other life form. Combining our gifts can also produce the added benefit of a byproduct called synergy or the synergism of which the sum is greater than the parts. This experience is as rapture, which is beyond heavenly words to describe. Only for one moment do we feel like we have experienced a little slice of heaven on earth. It is confounding as it is in effect beyond description.

Mole

Permabanned
Trembling with Delight

I think my life is being overtaken by trembling delight.

My father wouldn't let me tremble at home; my teachers wouldn't let me tremble at school; and they certainly wouldn't let me tremble at work; and sadly even my girlfriend wouldn't let me tremble as we made love.

But I can feel the tremble starting inside. Sometimes it overwhelms me in embarrassing places, but mostly I keep it in check.

Except sometimes when I am dancing, I deliberately let myself tremble, and my whole body starts to tremble to the music. It's like a great relief, finally I am trembling and dancing with delight.

But it's a trembling that not only affects my body but affects my mind as well.

It's a little scary particularly as I don't see anyone else trembling. And with the trembling started, who knows where it might end.

Perhaps the nicest thing about trembling is that it allays my anxiety, and afterwards I feel relaxed and refreshed.

But even talking about it, I can feel myself holding my breath, for in trembling I let go of control for a while, and if I am lucky, it is only mild exhaustion that brings it to a halt.

If I am unlucky, I realise it is socially inappropriate and I cut it off.

But how lucky I am that I tremble with delight inside and am slowly and safely bringing it outside.

Last edited: