• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the purpose of your life?

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
The purpose of my life seems to keep changing, ranging from being accepted, power, being happy, to having lots of achievements. As of now, it's to discover my identity.

Dying Acedia

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I ask a different question in place of that.

My question is What kind of person are you?

Personally I've had much greater success with answering this one than answering the purpose question.

Will2911

MBTI Type
ESTJ
The purpose of my life is simple and for me there is no other thing that it could be. That is, to do my duty, be it to my family or my country.

Mole

Permabanned
What kind of person are you?

Yes, I find I am getting more interested in what a person is rather than what they can do for me or how they might thwart me.

I don't know quite why this is. It maybe that I am just becoming more independent. Or it seems just as ridiculous to ask what can a flower do for me, as it is to ask what can a person do for me.

It's true, it's a bit more distancing but on the other hand it is more aesthetic.

Perhaps it's a bit like the difference between picking a flower and admiring a living flower.

After all, the geneticists tell me a living flower and you have almost the same genes. How extraordinary we all are.

Random Ness

I think the purpose of the existence of any living thing is simply to live out and fulfil the potential of its inherent nature. To be itself. Which I guess it already is, but for humans it's more complicated. E.g. A tree strives to be a tree. Wherever the seed drops, it will strive to live out the potential in it, whether it has to overcome less than suitable soil, bend this way or that to get the best light, etc. It simply is itself. And human beings strive to be who they are as much as possible. Just it is much more complicated than being a plant or animal because part of our nature is to have conscious awareness of a level of existence that plants or animals are not bothered about. Plus we have choice between what is good for our nature and what is not good for it. Whereas a tree cannot consciously do something against its own nature. It can only be a victim, like if its environment is polluted and it sucks up chemicals from the ground that are bad for it.

:nice: Love the comparison.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
The ultimate motivation for doing anything is one's own happiness. I think we differ only in the method used to try to obtain that end.

zark

MBTI Type
istp
The ultimate motivation for doing anything is one's own happiness. I think we differ only in the method used to try to obtain that end.

Sorry but I don't believe in this statement. This is not true for everyone. Like for me, yes we often try to have fun and be happy, but that's not my ultimate motivation.

I believe it is based on the person's dominant function.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Sorry but I don't believe in this statement. This is not true for everyone. Like for me, yes we often try to have fun and be happy, but that's not my ultimate motivation.

I believe it is based on the person's dominant function.

Then what is your motivation? Your dominant function can affect what make them happy, but I doubt any healthy person is adverse to being happy.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ensure that other people are okay and at peace. It's been known to me for a while.

gromit

likes this
I can't remember if I posted in here or not. Anyway, my purpose:

Be a good, healthy, happy, productive person. If I have kids, help them to be/do the same. Have fun and make people smile. There's probably more I'll come to understand as I get older and wiser.

I guess that's another one - gain wisdom, experiences.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do I need a purpose? I'm just here for myself, for now.

I'll do whatever I think is right, I'll be a good person etc. but I'm not here to do that. That's just who I am. If I find a purpose later in my life, then so be it.