• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ethos. Speaking and Writing with Authority

ygolo

My termites win
I almost wanted to put this in the politics section, because it seems essential in that domain. But then, I thought that a philosophical discussion is more what I had in mind.

I notice at work that most of the leaders are those that speak with certainty in their voice and words. There was one exception--a soft-spoken person who had a track record of being able to solve technical problems, but he recently left our group. Actually, there were a lot of exceptions a couple of years earlier--a bunch of type B personalities who actually did work instead of throw their weight around. But most of them were "redeployed" in one fell swoop.

So I am wondering, what gives a speaker or writer authority?--In the real world, not in the world as you would like it.

Aristotle called it "Ethos."

Also, how can ethos-based persuasion techniques backfire?

Also, especially in the politics section, how do you feel the posters on TypoC have fared in their use of ethos?

G

Glycerine

What gives a writer/speaker authority is confidence, the ability to connect w/ others to a certain extent, having "seemingly" sound logic (some people can BS their way through for a bit), wide knowledge base,
1. confidence
2. knowledge base/"seemingly" sound logic
3. some level of connecting with others

Ethos (appealing to emotions/ethics) can backfire when most people can call you out on the holes in your logic or you come off "fake" and insincere.

ygolo

My termites win
Thanks for responding.

I wasn't expecting anyone to be an authority on authority here. I am just interested in what makes you believe makes some one an authority.

The list is a sensible list. But I wonder, sometimes, very abrasive and intimidating people come off as authorities.

Also, I believe pathos is appealing to emotions.

Here is a website that illustrates ethos, pathos, and logos.
The Art of Rhetoric: Ethos, Logos, and Pathos

Mole

Permabanned
Usually we speak of someone, "discovering their own voice".

And if they haven't discovered their own voice, they are using an ersatz voice trying to please others.

Another way of saying it, is that a person of authority is comfortable in their own skin, or comfortable in their own voice.

G

Glycerine

Thanks for responding.

I wasn't expecting anyone to be an authority on authority here. I am just interested in what makes you believe makes some one an authority.

The list is a sensible list. But I wonder, sometimes, very abrasive and intimidating people come off as authorities.

Also, I believe pathos is appealing to emotions.

Here is a website that illustrates ethos, pathos, and logos.
The Art of Rhetoric: Ethos, Logos, and Pathos

That's why I put connecting with others as third because it isn't necessary but it helps A LOT if the logic and knowledge base are weak. yeah you're right pathos is emotions... I just didn't bother to look it up. :doh:

ygolo

My termites win
Usually we speak of someone, "discovering their own voice".

And if they haven't discovered their own voice, they are using an ersatz voice trying to please others.

Another way of saying it, is that a person of authority is comfortable in their own skin, or comfortable in their own voice.

Ah, a very interesting point. I've heard that about writing. But it is likely true about speaking too.

That's why I put connecting with others as third because it isn't necessary but it helps A LOT if the logic and knowledge base are weak. yeah you're right pathos is emotions... I just didn't bother to look it up. :doh:

I suppose the message has to get through. So in that sense, connecting is necessary.