• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

As humans we are never satisfied

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well then it's used more as a way to keep people who are getting shafted by the system happy and complacent because then they don't think about how shitty they have it and instead focus on the reward in the afterlife.

Ah. Funny you say it like you fully know it.

Red October

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think we can be, for a temporary amount of time, and usually during that other time we find something else we are unsatisfied with in life. Except, IMO, this is the point of life. This is what life is.

Problem/Challenge/Goal/Dream/Whatever you call it ----> Attempt to accomplish/attain ----> Happiness from accomplishment and what was achieved.

The problem we often have is, people keep making the dreams too challenging, which leads to failure or far too much work for the happiness gained. Some people have caught on, so they try to accept what they have and go through the cycle less, thus decreasing the chances that they won't make it through. Others take big risks, they shoot for huge things, but risk that the journey will be so not worth it that it corrupts/doesn't justify what was achieved.

This is basically my life's philosophy badly written out. Pretty sweet, isn't it?

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Never being satisfied is the fuel for progress.

It makes life interesting, an adventure.

Maybe not everyone agrees but, with anything I enjoy doing, i do it and know that next time I can push myself even harder and do better.

But maybe you are talking about houses and material possessions, in which case is a little harder to answer. I think, maybe, if you work hard and you make enough money to afford it, why wouldn't you want the best things your money can give you?

And seriously, life is boring if there is nothing to work toward.

wired

MBTI Type
INTJ
Problem/Challenge/Goal/Dream/Whatever you call it ----> Attempt to accomplish/attain ----> Happiness from accomplishment and what was achieved.

The problem we often have is, people keep making the dreams too challenging, which leads to failure or far too much work for the happiness gained. Some people have caught on, so they try to accept what they have and go through the cycle less, thus decreasing the chances that they won't make it through. Others take big risks, they shoot for huge things, but risk that the journey will be so not worth it that it corrupts/doesn't justify what was achieved.

This is basically my life's philosophy badly written out. Pretty sweet, isn't it?

This makes sense. :)

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?

If one must fail, then fail doing the impossible; it doesn't feel so bad if yeu were unable to attain the unobtainable, but if yeu succeed, the rewards are truly monumental.

To provide oneself without challenge is to gain little when accomplishment has been achieved. Only by stretching ones' boundries beyond whot we are capable of, are we truly holding capacity to change, to grow, to expand to rise to the occasion and become more than we were.

The challenge must be greater than we can currently cope with, lest we never improve in order to meet that challenge.

Consider the concept of lifting a weight; lifting an easy weight does so little to ones' strength that it may as well do nothing. Rather, lifting beyond ones' capacity tears the muscles, rips them, damages them, and forces them to rebuild themselves stronger than before so that they are fit to handle this new issue to be delt with, and such, by lifting a weight greater than we can handle, we grow to match the force required of the weight.

Unless, of course, such is the weight of the world upon our shoulders, in which case we are summarily squashed swiftly.

There can be such thing as too much of a good thing, one may surmise, in which respect yeu may be correct, at least in part.

wired

MBTI Type
INTJ
Unless, of course, such is the weight of the world upon our shoulders, in which case we are summarily squashed swiftly.

:laugh:

I think you should start with the smaller weights and work through to the bigger ones. There's a good plan in the making.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
It seems entirely possible to be satisfied in general, although possibly very rare.

I don’t really enjoy having things – I pursue experiences and learning, those possessions which can never be taken away or lost. Minimalism is quite preferable to me when it comes to material belongings, as it allows me more freedom and resources to do exactly what it is I do wish to engage myself in.

In all actuality, the more I own, the more I feel weighed down by it all – a sensation which can be akin to a pleasant anchoring or a cumbersome load, depending on what’s going on.

There is also a distinct enjoyment of memories past, how what one has done and achieved already is a surety, something one can enjoy and experience again just by remembering it. That might be why I like being in my head as much as external experiences - it's a fun and amazing space, a guaranteed theme park ride. :coffee:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
But maybe you are talking about houses and material possessions, in which case is a little harder to answer. I think, maybe, if you work hard and you make enough money to afford it, why wouldn't you want the best things your money can give you?

Because they are not worth the effort. Unless it's health insurance. But I live in a country with universal healthcare anyway.

Lark

Mostly this, though it does eventually lead to the question... 'how do yeu define whot a bad lot or situation is?'.

And that leads into whot I was saying earlier... the only thing we have to determine whot's good and bad, is our own subjective view. We set our own baseline, based on whot we have experienced. As such, we are ALWAYS seeking to improve our situation, regardless, because our situation will eventually be considered 'normal', if nothing changes, simply due to how we adapt to our environment. If yeu'd lived with indoor plumbing yeur whole life... then lived somewhere for a few weeks that had none, yeu'd consider that "bad". Yet people, for thousands of years, did not have indoor plumbing... To further this, if yeu stayed there for years instead of weeks, yeu'd eventually be used to it, and it'd be 'normal' again. Yeu'd want indoor plumbing again because that'd be PREFERRED and an improvement over yeur current situation, but yeu wouldn't resent the lack of such after dealing without for an extended period.

As such... who has a bad situation? Everyone who has gone downward from their previous situation, because their previous 'normal' is their personal point of reference to determine whot 'bad' is in the first place.

Therefore, almost anyone who has a downward shift in whot they once had, will realize they're in a "bad" situation. Those whom improve their situation, will generally realize they're now in a "good" situation, regardless of where their starting point was. This can lead to odd cases where one person can feel that they are on the top of the world, with a wonderful life... and another person, in the same position, can feel that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Everything is subjective to the viewer.

But yes, once yeu believe yeurself to be in a "bad" situation, yeu should automatically seek a way to improve it. Otherwise... the mental and emotional problems that will soon accompany it will often be crippling. Especially if yeu fell a long distance from yeur previous 'normal' zone.

I dont think its entirely subjective though, there's objective criteria for health and fitness for instance, even when it comes to matters which are more readily debateable or upon which there at first appears to be no agreement such as psychological well being so long as you dont split hairs or go into intense complexity there's pretty objective criteria again, ie enough sleep, balanced body and brain chemistry, abilities to self-regulate emotional states.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I firmly believe satisfaction was an invention of imperialists to get people to think that they're unsatisfied with life.

This I agree now.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a rather common statement we hear - but I wouldn't know to what lengths. How about we determine the reality from the small talk, and shed some light on how true it is. Why are we (as, humans) never really satisfied with what we have?

/just the 1st thing that popped in my head.
I have nothing relevant to say.
I hope this post is dissatisfying.

W

WALMART

Like, in the sense that I need food to get past Sunday? Or that I want a new TV every four years?

I progress, man. Getting stagnant sucks.

I love what material possessions I have, and what I do with it.

My whole life has been devoted to balancing form and function.
I buy good (mostly superior quality) items and don't have to re-buy them again.

My need for more material items is only spurned by the acute manifestation of a hobby/project/interest that is somehow linked to my self actualization at a given time.

I could not care less for common materialism, but I will not compromise on quality when it comes to buying the tools I need to make the dreams of my life come to fruition as I desire them to... :newwink:

Buy once, cry once.