• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Non-Christians: parts of the Bible that still resonate with you

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
And Pagan too, that still has a strong hold on us.Partly through christianity, which picked up a lot of pagan beliefs, of course.

Yup, which is why I think the Bible should be taught in schools... right next to Greek and Roman myths (and why we, inheritors of a Germanic culture, do not also learn Norse myths is beyond me).

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
The Sermon on the Mount, the Golden Rule, "Judge not lest ye be judged yourself," "Do not be like those hypocrites...for they have received their reward in full," "what good is it to gain the world but lose your soul?" (an outlook that can be applied to whatever is most important to your life on a consistent basis), etc.

In another vein, I've always liked the Book of Amos: Thus saith the Lord; [you're fucked].

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I like that "Remember Black Sabbath and keep it holy." part from the ten commandments.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I like the story of when Jesus found out about the commercialization that was going on at a Temple, and decided to beat some pre-Republican ass. The New Testament has some nice anti-greed sentiment.

"When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the Temple courts he found men selling cattle, sheep and doves and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords and drove all from the Temple, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said: 'Get out of here.' (John 2:13-16)

When a problem comes along, you must whip it!!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
and whip it good? :huh:

person-smiley-1253.gif

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have great regard for the teaching and example of Jesus, as described in the new testament. This includes his words/sermons as others have already mentioned, but especially his actions: the way he reached out to the marginalized of society, looked beyond the surface to see the value in people, and worked to help others.

I also enjoy some of the psalms, for their poetic value.