• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A challenge to all you Ns out there!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
GREEN?!?

:cheese:

offers Blackmail! the cheese and Burgundy of his choice

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
:yay: you know how to use your Se!!!

and post it durentu! :yes:

Hmmm well yes.. I score quite high on Se. I have a body and I like to use it.
Se is the natural companion of N.. N is like a radio without an antenna if you ignore your senses. You just pick up a lot of static.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've found that the two can complement one another to give you an even more complete picture of the world if you know how to tune both in :holy:

P

Phantonym

I'm not deaf, dumb and blind to the "outside" world solely because I happen to identify with intuitives. I prefer my intuition because it feels most comfortable to me, it's my comfort zone that gives me support. But whenever I feel like it, I also take immense joy in taking in everything that pops out to me in the world, whatever comes to me through my senses. By "popping out" I mean that while I frolic around with my head in the clouds, sometimes it comes to a sudden halt when something very vivid catches my eye or just brings me back to "reality" to witness and thoroughly enjoy the "wonder" for a while, may it be something that can be seen, touched, heard, smelled or tasted. And then I continue on frolicking along with my intuition. :laugh: And I can most definitely give a detailed description of it, but as words are limited, they can never fully convey the feeling I get and it can be something very powerful.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh you evil woman!

Alright..here goes :cry:
I slowly start stretching my muscles and feel them tense to then relax, warming up my body, becoming more bendy. I start the music and feel my body yearning to move to the beat. Slowly, I make a figure 8 with my body, twisting my hip to move forward while the other goes back. I move them around, stretching out my abs, side and backmuscles, feeling the strain and at the same time release. My spine feels free once more. I gradually speed up the figure 8's, making my hip circle and move more fluidly to the music, building up tension. My arms automatically start accentuating the movement, feeling as if they are threading through water. I close my eyes and feel my body move, stretch...unwind. My muscles sigh in relief. The music beckons to change the movement...I forcefully push up my hip and drop it again, faster and faster, lifting my chest and softly twirling my hands, feathering my fingers...Then I hear footsteps. My So is home. My body tenses up. I turn of the music off and return to my computer in the couch as if nothing happened :blush:

KDude

This is so mean. Even I couldn't describe sensory experiences. :D

Hats off to the N's that are doing so.. you're all quite poetic (I'm not) :blush:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, I once tried to do that in letter to my father about the beautiful town of Salamanca where I studied for two semsters: the smell of fresh fish in the market hall, the ringing of the church bells, the warm stones on a plaza seca at midday and all that, but i always ended up returning to abstracts.

That being said, now that summer has finally arrived I love to switch on my senses once in a while and feel the warm wind on my skin or the grass between my toes and I have always loved the sound of rain. But as I said, I switch my senses on for some time. My natural state is something of a seperation between mind and body (with the head way up in the clouds).

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is so mean. Even I couldn't describe sensory experiences. :D

Hats off to the N's that are doing so.. you're all quite poetic (I'm not) :blush:

I cant do it either and almost everything I do requires a huge amount of sensory info:doh:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
We are all sensors. The N/S divide is basically just a vanity for people on this board to give them a unique identity.
If a person is so disconnected from the world that they just can't feel the grass under their feet, then they may be suffering from PTSD or some other mental disfunction. That's how I see it, and I'm pretty 'N' based on test results, whatever that ultimately means...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With a finger, a touch, gliding along the curves. Feeling the texture and the suppleness pressing against my raw finger. Exploring like a little kid in a theme park, every little corner, every little bump. Then a tickle, it turns to shock, as my hand retracts momentarily and again presses down, I observe and curiously test. A bit to the right... Then again to the left. A tickle again. I feel the kinetic energy of the light convulsion flowing through my arm. My curiosity becomes excitement. A new discovery...

Then I continue to play around on the same spot, it doesn't tire me, it doesn't wear me out, finally I am met with a stern frown. "What the hell do you think you are doing?".

Back to reality.

Long story short, I have Se, I rarily use it, when I do it is overwhelming. :D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We are all sensors. The N/S divide is basically just a vanity for people on this board to give them a unique identity.
If a person is so disconnected from the world that they just can't feel the grass under their feet, then they may be suffering from PTSD or some other mental disfunction. That's how I see it, and I'm pretty 'N' based on test results, whatever that ultimately means...

very presumptuous of you to believe you know how others experience things.

i think for a lot of us it is something we have to consciously turn on....we are often preoccupied and do not notice certain details in our environment not because we are blind but because we're not focused on it.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

i think for a lot of us it is something we have to consciously turn on....we are often preoccupied and do not notice certain details in our environment not because we are blind but because we're not focused on it.

This.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll give an example from a Se dom perspective here....

I stood outside of the gas station in the sunlight, frozen cherry coke in one hand, cigarette in the other, bag slung over one shoulder and slightly cutting into the muscle- I could feel the heat of the day kicking in as the sweat glands across my back and arms became offended at the lack of breeze they had been accustomed to and prickled awake and a trickle of sweat already started to run down my back inbetween my shoulder blades. The air smelled like gasoline, diesel exhaust and the cloyingly sweet and overbearing smell of clover blooming in the lawn... it almost makes me choke, so I take a drag from my cigarette to cancel out the sweetness. I shut my eyes and lean against the wall, enjoying the smoke and the sweet cold of my frozen coke in contrast to the humid windless heat of the day. The ice truck driver walks by with a dolly loaded with ice and I can feel the ghost of the cool brush across me for a few seconds... cool and moist like a cave, but it disappears just as quickly, making the heat seem even more intense. I can feel my hair starting to stick to my face and push it back as I finish my cigarette, take my last sip of my drink and then head back to my bicycle.

:) see... not hard!

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

No one is aware of all the details of their environment at any given moment. If you feel the grass under your feet, you may miss the bird flying by...how is this different in-kind for anyone, whether you or they claim to be S or N?

I'm not presuming anything about others' experience. But I do think that to tacitly agree that the S/N dichotomy is valid because it flatters a sense of intrinsic identity is quite presumptuous.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm not claiming that an intuitive is incapable of sensing that would be ridiculous...we can and do use our senses just as a sensor can and does use their intuition....but we do have our natural modes and to switch we often have to intentionally focus in that direction.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
I recently got 50% on 3 different tests for N and S. I post myself as N because of noticing how things connect and patterns and abstractions. I appear aloof, as I recently asked a good many of people in my close knit world. I speak in metaphors, almost always, but it is often to illustrate a point that I feel others will pick up on better via analogy.
However, it's odd that this thread is here, as I feel lately I am sucked into my own world of thought. I feel like I'm missing out on what's around me. So, I went outside and jumped on the trampoline for awhile, taking in the trees, sun, and weeds in my flowerbed. Then I sat down, letting my skin soak up the sun for a few minutes. And I could have gone to sleep right there had it not been for my brain;I need to weed the flowerbed. Where are the flowers I planted? Why haven't they come up yet? Why do weeds grow faster? They must be blocking out the sun for the flowers. If the flowers are sprouting, they need sunlight, because the sunlight is absorbed by proteins. Wow, a wonderful process. I need to plant those sunflowers. Sunflowers have spiral centers that display a close approximation of phi. Then I could see it! Just like the nautilus shell!
For me, sensory leads to my focus redirected on the relationship between other sensory things and focuses on processes.

An added note, a few of the posts have the Ns being able to use their sensory best in nature! Interesting!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll give an example from a Se dom perspective here....

I stood outside of the gas station in the sunlight, frozen cherry coke in one hand, cigarette in the other, bag slung over one shoulder and slightly cutting into the muscle- I could feel the heat of the day kicking in as the sweat glands across my back and arms became offended at the lack of breeze they had been accustomed to and prickled awake and a trickle of sweat already started to run down my back inbetween my shoulder blades. The air smelled like gasoline, diesel exhaust and the cloyingly sweet and overbearing smell of clover blooming in the lawn... it almost makes me choke, so I take a drag from my cigarette to cancel out the sweetness. I shut my eyes and lean against the wall, enjoying the smoke and the sweet cold of my frozen coke in contrast to the humid windless heat of the day. The ice truck driver walks by with a dolly loaded with ice and I can feel the ghost of the cool brush across me for a few seconds... cool and moist like a cave, but it disappears just as quickly, making the heat seem even more intense. I can feel my hair starting to stick to my face and push it back as I finish my cigarette, take my last sip of my drink and then head back to my bicycle.

:) see... not hard!

That cool breeze from things like that is awesome on a hot day

:doh: Walking in the sand and it slightly tickles my foot at each step as I can feel my muscles work to push against the sand and the balls of my feet sink into the sand. Feel the pressure it places on my toes as I push myself forward into the next step. As I step forward my heel then sinks into the sand my foot rolls forward and that tickling sensation arises again.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Funnily enough, I started working on a piece just a few hours ago, and what I wrote could address the OP in this thread because it is (in a narcissistic manner) how I experience the world from my perspective. This is a short section of it.

It was dark when I left the building. The stained glass windows of the church refracted the moonlight across the tops of pews, illuminating the church as I stood alone at the wooden double-doors. I paused. The silence was welcoming, peaceful, and held a strong draw for me despite the four hours that I'd spent there. Solitude is my only form of peace, and this abandoned church, a treasure hidden away in the suburbs of Sandringham, is my sanctuary. The doors creaked behind me as I closed them; the rusted hinges providing reassurance that my escape remains mine alone.

I am not particularly religious, I'd be the first to admit that. It's just that I like empty churches and cathedrals. The places that house spirituality, without the humans that soil it and their selfish agendas. The place that embodies ideas greater than the trivial physical world that we live in. The darkest corners with the deepest symbolism, lines and figures, pictures representating the unenunciable. The descriptions of what I feel inside me but cannot talk about. I often feel like I am simultaneously filling the physical space, and yet being filled. It is a paradox that would not make sense except for the fact that I feel less and less like a physical human and more like a transient spirit.

As I walked down the alleyway that led from the train station, gently inhaling the clear, chilly air, I come back more to myself and what she said. "Until you admit that you have emotional needs and are a member of the human race, I cannot be with you anymore." I'd laughed at that, an amused, bitter laugh - not because I'd disagreed, but because of the irony of the situation and the truth in that statement. It's started raining. I pulled out my black umbrella, mechanically setting it open and continuing my walk at a regular cadence. The sound of my heels as they hit the ground in a regular, hollow, squeak mixing with the dull thuds of the raindrops on the fabric of the umbrella. Like a double bass complementing the impossibly fast fingerstrokes in a Rachmaninoff concerto. I am blending into my surroundings, at one with the world. This feeling is incredibly individual, yet the knowledge that it is irreproducible in life, destined to melt into another moment of experience, renders it almost meaningless. It will be forgotten in the next moment when I am distracted by more pressing material needs.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is how I experience getting up.

I wake up, hear my alarm clock. I slam around until it stops. I make a descision to stand up and go wash myself... I then find myself in my car, I seem to be dressed and washed, now that i think of it, I can vaguely remember doing all that, I turn the ignition and begin driving.

While I am driving I see the cars, the cyclists, and the curbs, I feel the gears, the rpm and the steering wheel. I arrive at work safely and step out of my car. "Hey" I think to myself, "the sun also shines today.".

I move to the door of the office, search for my keys. Left pocket, no. Right? No. Jacket pockets? No, No.. Again, quickly through all pockets. No, no, no. I walk back to the car and suddenly notice I don't have my carkeys in my hand but the office keys. I shortly wonder where my car keys went, but I don't care, I turn back around and enter the office.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
stealing the idea from Satine here, though I've thought that it would be a good idea for a while...

A lot of the intuitives here talk about how detached from the world around them they are... how they don't really notice the way that the grass feels in their toes, the way that the wind feels in their hair... how delicious the neighbor's barbecue smells :drool:

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with their description of N, though I've seen it thrown around a good deal. I believe Ns can "sense" as intensely, e.g., how delicious the neighbour's bbq smells, but we are often not called to notice that we notice. Take a scent from one time and place and reproduce it in another time and place far removed and I'd be surprised if Ns don't react to it. A matter of focus, IMHO. I can understand the "absent-minded professor" interpretation but why, after a roll-call of sourts, you would be insensate to the stimulus is part of typology (mis)interpretation I don't get.

The thread Sensorish stuff I love was an exercise in recalling that sort of focus.

Personally, I am often largely oblivious to my environment yet more acutely aware of some feature of that environment than others are (e.g. noise/sound - sensitivity). N preference doesn't help there.