User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Since when does philosophy rely on mere common contemporary definitions?
    It doesn't... but the conventional answer is an appropriate jumping-off point for forays into how the answer changes when the common contemporary definitions are altered. My answer wasn't the end of the discussion... it was the beginning.

MBTI
    STP

That's what we're working on
    Ok, problem is you dont know how to add. If you did why would you be asking that question? To prove I know the answer? But in that case what is the problem? Do you need to rely on me for my knowledge? Why would you need to rely on me? Is it because you dont know how to add? Why wouldnt you know how to add? Have you ever tried figuring it out on your own? Why havnt you tried figuring it out on your own? Is it even possible to figure that out on your own. Its just symbols. Its not like someone handed you 2 sets of things and asked how many you had. How do you even figure out what symbols mean unless you have more to go on. Is that even a question in the first place.

Im out, its been fun

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

What? Each symbol represents some imaginary number of imaginary objects.

2 = 2 objects. So, 2+2=4?

What's going on I here?
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    What? Each symbol represents some imaginary number of imaginary objects.

2 = 2 objects. So, 2+2=4?

What's going on I here?
    But why is 2+2=? even a problem? Its not really a problem at all unless you dont know how to add. But even in that case WHY do you need to know what 2+2 is. That is the real problem. Follow the why's backward. The person who asked you what 2+2 is may be nothing more then what they think they need to do to solve the problem, so 2+2 is actually a part of the solution not the problem...what is the problem?

edit: soory if my wording comes out jumbled. English is my native language, but language is not my native way of thinking.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    It doesn't... but the conventional answer is an appropriate jumping-off point for forays into how the answer changes when the common contemporary definitions are altered. My answer wasn't the end of the discussion... it was the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Ok, problem is you dont know how to add. If you did why would you be asking that question? To prove I know the answer? But in that case what is the problem? Do you need to rely on me for my knowledge? Why would you need to rely on me? Is it because you dont know how to add? Why wouldnt you know how to add? Have you ever tried figuring it out on your own? Why havnt you tried figuring it out on your own? Is it even possible to figure that out on your own. Its just symbols. Its not like someone handed you 2 sets of things and asked how many you had. How do you even figure out what symbols mean unless you have more to go on. Is that even a question in the first place.
    See? It is a problem, precisely because of the lack of context. Your questions begin to identify the difficulties this causes. Are you doubting your own ability to find a solution without further information yet?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    STP

See? It is a problem, precisely because of the lack of context. Your questions begin to identify the difficulties this causes. Are you doubting your own ability to find a solution without further information yet?
    No, I am just playing. A problem has yet to be defined. Do you see the problem with that line of thought I went through?
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    XXFP

My dad famously (in my family circle) referred to math as "mental masturbation."

What's your point here?
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    No, I am just playing. A problem has yet to be defined. Do you see the problem with that line of thought I went through?
    Many Now the question is, which one is most pertinent?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

2 + 2 = ?

Any philosophical thoughts on how to go about this one?
    Alright, I'm quite bored anyway.

We can say the "?" Exists as an unknown entity that can be revealed through means of logically reconfiguring what it equals to. Or if one is too lazy to do that one can simply substitute the "?" with what it equals to therefore solving by means of allowing the original entities to stay as they are.

There are an infinite number of ways to reconfigure the known entities and it is by common human expectation to choose the one that exists as a single entity in the numerical sense known as the sum.

It is therefore comfortable to announce that to solve the "?" entity one must find the sum of the existing entities already known.

2 + 2 = 4

2 + 2 = 4
    2^2 = 4

2 + 2 = 4 = 2^2

Thus

2 + 2 = 2^2

3 + 3 = 6
    3^3 = 27

3 + 3 != 3^3

Thus

2 + 2 = 2^2 and is special and unique

So to answer the philosophical question, you are 2 + 2 and are a special and a unique person