User Tag List

First 45678 Last

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by kevrawlings View Post
    I do, in fact, ever heard of blind faith?
    Yes, but you were clearly using the quotes as some kind of argument against atheism.

MBTI
    INTJ

I do, in fact, ever heard of blind faith?
    You see this is where I think a lot of atheist and agnostics get their panties in a bunch... It's very difficult for some people to comprehend blind faith... One of my best friends is extremely religious and we have discussions about his faith all of the time... he doesn't try to evangelize me and I don't try to subject his beliefs to the scientific method... If people can place their own personal beliefs aside for a moment you can really learn a lot about the belief systems of others... if you get past the need to convert the other person to your own personal point of view it really is interesting to learn what many different people have to say about religion etc... I personally find the concept of blind faith fascinating and have the utmost respect for people that are able to adhere to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Yes, but you were clearly using the quotes as some kind of argument against atheism.
    Yes, clearly, not against atheists, but atheism.

FigerPuppet

Yes, clearly, not against atheists, but atheism.

MBTI
    ISTP

Willy Wonka, my favorite INTJ! "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

. . . other than the whole luring children into his candy factory and then murdering them en masse thing.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    I think it would only be natural for a christian to argue against atheism just as it is natural for an atheist to argue against religion, but where these debates tend to go wrong is in lieu of accepting the arguments at face value and prior to entering the discussion accepting that no common ground will be reached - only greater understanding - people instead get batshit insane and start launching attacks on one another's battleships...

Then nobody can hear over the noise and... by the end of the conversation nothing has been gained. It's just my opinion, but these conversations are typically much more productive when each person refrains from taking the statements of the other personally...

Obviously you can still have disagreements regarding religions... Two cannon lawyers might disagree on the interpretation of a law or some people may disagree about the interpretation of the bible... but those cases are hardly the equivalent of discussing personal religious beliefs that again cannot be quantified or even proven... whereas when you are arguing specifically about differences within the same religion the certain assumptions are already accepted as true...

just my two cents..

MBTI
    ISTP

True, true.

Smile

The very nicest thing about the conversation between atheists and theists is that it is the never-ending-conversation.

The conversation can never be resolved and so our conversation will never come to an end.

The internet provides us with the means for the never-ending-conversation, and atheism versus theism provide us with the excuse.

So atheism versus theism gives us a little taste of immortality.

MBTI
    ISTP

Yes, but that same argument goes on ad infinitum in peoples minds anyway, so it's just as arbitrary to have the debate with another person.

Inside of me is a small voice that is skeptical of Christianity, and inside of "Smileyman" is a small voice that is intrigued by the idea of faith and a creator.

Not schizophrenic here, I hope it's clear that by voices I mean thoughts.

Also, this debate won't go on much longer if Smileyman insists on arguing in pictures. ZING!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The very nicest thing about the conversation between atheists and theists is that it is the never-ending-conversation.

The conversation can never be resolved and so our conversation will never come to an end.

The internet provides us with the means for the never-ending-conversation, and atheism versus theism provide us with the excuse.

So atheism versus theism gives us a little taste of immortality.
    I guess I don't see it that way.. when I converse with my devoutly catholic friends or muslim, jewish, buddhist acquaintances I don't seek to change their belief systems but learn about them and understand the whys of what they believe... they don't try to convert me and thus our conversations do have a beginning and an end and even a purpose on occasion... My catholic friend and muslim acquaintance were talking for hours one night about the fundamental differences between christianity and islam and some of the similarities as well... It was quite interesting and nobody raised their voice or resulted to personal attacks even once... It's really no different then listening to someone talk about why they like spicy food while someone else explains why they dislike it or discussing differences in musical tastes so long as all parties involved can remain respectful of the other's position, recognize the subjective nature of the conversation, and resist any urges to convert, enlighten, or change...

this is of course just the way I see it you are free to argue these issues whichever way you see fit..