User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Indeed, it is your opinion. Your opinion (or "claim") is false.
    No its not.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    No its not.
    cf. my first post in this thread. How old are you, by the way?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

The dichotomy presented here, between atheism and theism is not really relevant to the purpose of the conversation. If the general topic is 'what demeans the human soul?', it is worth pointing out that atheism is not a sufficient condition for enlightenment but merely a necessary condition. Authoritarian political systems eradicating ideologies that turn people into credulous serfs deprived of even the basic intellectual resource of skeptical thought might impel you to fashion a misleading generalization about atheism, but that is all its going to be.

I wish people would stop referring to the USSR as Communists, bloody American high school history teachers >.>
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

MBTI
    ISTP

"If there is only one possible unified theory - that is just a set of rules and equations - what is it that breathes fire into those equations and creates a universe for them to describe? Why does a universe go to all of the bother of existing? Is a unified theory so compelling that it brings about its own existence, or does it need a creator?" - Stephen Hawking

"God does not play dice." - Einstein

"“The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power. My Mother had taught me to seek all truth in the Bible.” - Nikola Tesla

Three men who arguably understood the material world better than any other individuals in history, and they still didn't see it necessary to adopt a short-sighted, secular, materialist world view. They understood that the universe is more than a mechanical dance of atoms, and that their discoveries were only humble attempts to understand the mind of God.

Keep speaking the truth, Lark.

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by kevrawlings View Post
    "If there is only one possible unified theory - that is just a set of rules and equations - what is it that breathes fire into those equations and creates a universe for them to describe? Why does a universe go to all of the bother of existing? Is a unified theory so compelling that it brings about its own existence, or does it need a creator?" - Stephen Hawking

"God does not play dice." - Einstein

"“The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power. My Mother had taught me to seek all truth in the Bible.” - Nikola Tesla

Three men who arguably understood the material world better than any other individuals in history, and they still didn't see it necessary to adopt a short-sighted, secular, materialist world view. They understood that the universe is more than a mechanical dance of atoms.

Beautiful words are not necessarily true ones, that's why it's called the *ART* of rhetoric. Keep speaking the truth, Lark.
    Did you even read - not skim - the quote by Stephen Hawking? Do you understand the context in which Einstein made that statement? No, to both. Take your appeal to authority and go sit facing the wall, boy.

MBTI
    ISTP

I've actually had the Hawking quote memorized for years, it's my all time favorite quotation. No joke, man. As for the Einstein quote, it stands independent of context and couldn't be more self-explanatory. What God do you think he was referring to?

and geez . . . I thought it was the creationists who were bullying the education system, as a teacher, I recommend you never get a job teaching.

I can see it now, (in a feigned English accent of course) "Take your bronze age myths and sit facing the wall you little prick! God is dead! No talk like that in my classroom!" lol

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Did you even read - not skim - the quote by Stephen Hawking? Do you understand the context in which Einstein made that statement? No, to both. Take your appeal to authority and go sit facing the wall, boy.
    This is what Einstein thought about god according to himself - "I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."
    —Albert Einstein

This quote can be found here - Albert Einstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

furthermore I fail to see how any link from any source no matter how intelligent or religious could be an appeal to authority in this particular case because you are discussing belief systems that cannot be proven or even quantified...

MBTI
    ISTP

That's a great quote!

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    This is what Einstein thought about god according to himself - "I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."
    —Albert Einstein
    Nice quote.

[...] you are discussing belief systems that cannot be proven or even quantified...
    kevrawlings doesn't seem to agree with this.

MBTI
    ISTP

I do, in fact, ever heard of blind faith?