• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do mantras work?

KDude

A sacred verbal formula repeated in prayer, meditation, or incantation, such as an invocation of a god, a magic spell, or a syllable or portion of scripture containing mystical potentialities.

Maybe it doesn't have to be spiritual though.. just something you might repeat to yourself. I think many people say all kinds of positive or negative things to themselves. I wonder if there's power in these words..

Mole

Permabanned
A sacred verbal formula repeated in prayer, meditation, or incantation, such as an invocation of a god, a magic spell, or a syllable or portion of scripture containing mystical potentialities.

Maybe it doesn't have to be spiritual though.. just something you might repeat to yourself. I think many people say all kinds of positive or negative things to themselves. I wonder if there's power in these words..

Any repetition will induce a trance. And a mantra is just a repetition.

To learn more about trance, just click on -

Trance Institute Courses

and

Trance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

It definitely works. The way to influence the subconscious is to consciously and repeatedly hammering something down.

The same way bad parenting can affect kids as they grow up (kids haven't put up as much walls protecting their subconscious as we have, so they are more influenceable), so can advertising, indoctrination, propaganda....

KDude

Y'know, I used to kind of scoff at that kind of overly positive self-help book type of thinking, but I've been saying some negative things that are pretty much working on the same principle. They seem to be effective too. I need a new spell now. Something positive :cool:

@Victor.. I get what you're saying about trances.. although you would suggest escaping trance entirely, right? I mean, would you say that positive trances are not a good thing either?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
interesting observation on the topic thats possibly incredibly anecdotal and irrelevant...

I was swimming laps in the pool the other day when an older Tibetan man (I've met him elsewhere, which is why I know) came in and sat down in the shallowest portion of the hot tub and proceeded to meditate, repeating the same mantra over and over slowly in a very resonating manner (I could hear it and I was doing backstroke :shock:)... somehow the way that it resonated was incredibly relaxing even to the listener.... thinking:

Mole

Permabanned
@Victor.. I get what you're saying about trances.. although you would suggest escaping trance entirely, right? I mean, would you say that positive trances are not a good thing either?

I am saying we enter and leave trances all during the day.

For instance, we start and end our day with a trance, for just before we fall asleep, we enter the hypnogogic trance. And just after waking, we enter the same hypnogogic trance.

And all through the day we enter and leave trances. But mostly they are unconscious. And most do not know how to consciously enter and leave a trance.

And it is important to learn how to enter and leave a trance, for there are all kinds of trances, from addictive trances to trances that leave you relaxed and refreshed to trances that enhance your performance.

So all kinds of trances have different results.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Oooooookay then. I prefer to mumble randomly rather than repeat a certain phrase.

It gets just about the same amount of shit done.

KDude

I can't dance worth a shit. Hell, that's my mantra actually.

I don't think it'd be fair to charge for something like that.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They don't all have the same purpose. Using them to make yourself believe something or to connect to God is a Hindu/New Age thing, Buddhists more often use mantras merely as a focal point for shamatha meditation, which is just designed to train your concentration and self-monitoring abilities. You get distracted from the mantra, notice and make a mental note of the type of distraction, and bring your attention back to the mantra. Most Buddhists prefer the breath as a focal point because it involves just noticing what's already there, rather than creating an experience and having to think about something other than the present moment.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.

did it work?

G

Ginkgo

yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.

did it work?

I%20can%20see%20forever.gif

Mole

Permabanned
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.
yes they work.

did it work?

This is actually a good question for many try a mantra and find it doesn't work.

And I think this is because you can stop a mantra working or you can go with the flow.

If you go with the flow, you find two things happen. First your thoughts start to change, and second you start to go deeper into yourself.

If you proceed, your thoughts will slow down and eventually stop, while all the time you are going deeper and deeper.

And there are various levels of trance, from shallow to so deep that what you see is real.

Also there are trances within a trance. So first you put yourself in a trance, then in that trance, you put yourself in other trance. This is called a double trance. And there are triple and quadruple trances, but only for the adept.

But the hallmark of a trance is that some cognitive faculties are turned off, while some creative faculties are turned on. And it is the type of cognitive faculty and the type of creative faculty that determines the nature of the trance.

But always remember - trances transform.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
^^ Lmao

I don't necessarily use a mantra .. Or maybe i do .. I say Thank you a lot.
We live in a society where we are continuously shown the things we don't have and how they can improve our lives .. How often does the average person look at their life and show gratitute for the things they do have?
We also spend too much time concentrate on the 'I don't, 'I want', 'I cant' .. Its such a shame that people (including myself) can be so self limiting with their mentality.

I am grateful. So Thank you life for the things i do have.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I can't believe no one has said

SERENITY NOW!
SERENITY NOW!
SERENITY NOW!
SERENITY NOW!

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Yes, in my experience they (well, it) work(s), and very well, too. :)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Let's ask this guy:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InsspuvAmBs"]Mantra[/YOUTUBE]

I don't think it worked out for him, if I recall correctly.