• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is false hope better than no hope?

False hope or no hope?

• Total voters

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I say it depends on what you want to accomplish.

For things that have not yet happened, it is hard to determine whether the hope is true or false. Ultimately, determining the accuracy of hope is not falsifiable.

That being said, I think realism is helpful, and one should never be so hopeful that they engage in hostility to facts or logic.

Hope can also be cruel.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In the short run, it might provide some inner motivation to keep going in the face of adversity.

In the long run, though, "The truth shall set you free, but first it'll piss you off" etc. etc.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've accomplished so much in life fueled entirely by gross misunderstanding and initial baseless optimism. Sometimes you have to get into the deep end of the pool, no matter how you get there.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've accomplished so much in life fueled entirely by gross misunderstanding and initial baseless optimism. Sometimes you have to get into the deep end of the pool, no matter how you get there.

I can respect this position more than most INTPs, but there is something about this that feels incredibly tasteful, as though it is a violation of the very core of my being. I am unwilling to sacrifice truth to anything; I see it as the highest good. Then again, recent experiences have caused me to think that maybe this isn't type related.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can respect this position more than most INTPs, but there is something about this that feels incredibly tasteful, as though it is a violation of the very core of my being. I am unwilling to sacrifice truth to anything; I see it as the highest good. Then again, recent experiences have caused me to think that maybe this isn't type related.

Maybe this is type related, though. I am interested in truth, but I am more interested in possibility. Sometimes only certain things are possible, things that provide value, only when starting from a place of falsehood or unverifiability. I don't find this concept offensive at all.