• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

why doesn't God love me?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
owl- friends, family and a wonderful man- I adore them all and the idea of leaving them is rather dreadful :cry:

and yeah... sometimes ESTPness can pay off... I'm also potting plants, making dinner and cleaning the kitchen! :cheese:

Peguy- I'm shocked that it even GOT to post 100 :shock:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
And it's not that I'm an atheist either- I beleive in something- just the thought that I can't quite put my finger on it really bugs me... religions fascinate me, I love reading about them, but I can't manage to fit in :sadbanana:

There are some mystics who were in your position and honestly admitted that they don't feel a personal connection with god and it is exactly what is needed for there to be real faith. I don't need faith to believe that my friend exists. I can easily see it for myself. But I do need faith to believe in something I can't observe.

Personally I think that if god existed in the way most christians depict him, I would disagree with him on so many things that there is no way I could worship him. But you are right that it would be nice to believe in something. The thing is, I can't start with some idea I disagree with and try to find a way I could buy it. I need to look at the world as I see it and figure out what there is I can believe in. Like, that people are essentially good, that good deeds are paid with good life, that humanity isn't about to die off, that I am not a worthless piece of a machine that destroys everything. Believing in any of these takes faith, and I think that believing in these can make as big a difference in my life than it would if I believed in god.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
nolla- yeah- the god of the bible is pretty evil in the old testament especially :ninja: it's the whole trying to figure things out that's the difficult part really... how does one answer existential questions?

owl- most are Christian, my dad is a theist of sorts and the man is just as confused and curious as I am... our house contains a lot of books on religion :laugh:

Aimee

MBTI Type
ENFP
fascinating thread. I too seem to have an enduring existential crisis.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:hug: thanks! I thought that it was a topic worth addressing... hope the responses have been of some help! :)

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Yes. You could stay with your family, friends, and the wonderful man, but are they feeding you?

Nothin' says lovin' like food pellets and a salt lick!

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
how does one answer existential questions?

I'd start with what I know. There's an awful lot of questions about that already :yes: Do we know anything? The chances are you will end up in a void, and the question turns to what you believe you need to know. Is it important to know if you should do good? There is no proof that if you do good you will get good in return. Don't you just feel that it is better? What if you focus on that feeling? Where does it lead you?

I don't think that existential questions are big, really. But the void is.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
nolla- I feel compelled to do good... but I really suck at introspection :(

Aimee- then you've been busy! :holy: welcome to the forum, by the way! :)

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
owl- most are Christian, my dad is a theist of sorts and the man is just as confused and curious as I am... our house contains a lot of books on religion :laugh:

Learn what you can from your father. His extra years of experience should translate into wisdom unavailable to youngsters.

I don't expect you to become Christian just because I'm one, or your father is one. In the end, this is a subjective journey you have travel on your own. Seek and you shall find. Knock and it shall be opened to you.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Aimee- then you've been busy! :holy: welcome to the forum, by the way! :)

Yeah starting off in a new forum isn't easy... sooooooo much to read and catch up on; same goes if yeu take a break for a month or so. On a day to day basis it can be staggering as it is sometimes... let a few weeks worth pile up and it's rapidly overwhelming.

To people who read all the posts in a thread without skimming over any of them, yeu get a... marshmallow. Because I have a bag of them handy. I'm not sure why. Just accept it and enjoy.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:unsure: it's not really down to whether or not to beleive- I beleive- it's finding a comfortable community and exactly what beleifs I have that's the confusing part :doh:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I would LOVE to beleive in something, have a community of a sort and have that feeling of safety, calm and acceptance that people can find with religion but it just doesn't click. Part of this is because I feel that who I AM doesn't quite jive correctly with a lot of religions- for some I'm too exhuberant and fascinated by sensory experiences, for some I am an evil sinful harlot... and I can't stand the idea of a religion that would send anyone to Hell... if I couldn't do it I sure as hell don't want to beleive in a God who would :shock:

My $.02.

God may have created this universe, but he left it up to man to create religion. That is why religion is so messed up. It may be there is a faith out there that suits you, or maybe there isn't because no one has yet started one for people like yourself. Here is one insight you may find interesting. According to the Holland personality codes, the Social types (those who like to help people) tend to have the opposite personality from the Realistic types (those who like outdoors, animals, and working with tools). If you are in the latter group, it may be hard for you to find a church where you feel like you fit in.

As for the subject of hell, I believe the authors of the New Testament saw hell as essentially equivalent to death. I.e. hell was simply the end of your life. I realize the Christians who share my viewpoint are in the minority, but I've studied this subject fairly thoroughly, and I'm quite certain this is correct. :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
LL... oh no! I score equal on S and R on the Holland Code :cry:... That does go along with my thought that there's one goal but many paths leading to it in religion though! :holy:

and interesting thoughts on hell... I must think now!

Peguy... can't I just draw one out of a hat or spin a wheel and choose? :sorry:

Mole

Permabanned
If God loves everyone, then God loves no one. In the same way, if we are all gifted, then no one is gifted. In the same way, the bien pensant tell us we are all global citizens, but global citizenship doesn't exist anymore than God.