• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Perception....

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
What matter to us are things about our own size and speed. So the things that matter to us are called intuitive.

Things that are too big for us to see directly like the universe, or too small for us to see directly like the atom, don't matter to us and are called counter-intuitive.

For instance we know that intuitively the sun goes round the earth, but we know counter-intuitively that the earth goes round the sun.

But what is interesting is that spoken societies are intuitive, while literate societies are counter-intuitive. That is because to speak is intuitive, while learning to read and write is counter-intuitive.

But almost all of us are compelled to go to school by law. So literacy is onerous. It takes twenty years of study to master. And it is too much for many so they revert to the spoken culture of astrology and MBTI.

So astrology and MBTI are a failure to learn to think counter-intuitively.

Fortunately with the advent of the telephone, the television and the internet we are entering the intuitive global village. And astrology and MBTI are both intuitive and so are popular.

But both astrology and MBTI are simply illiterate.

Well, that was a nice personal stream-of-consciousness logic chain. That is, I'm guessing that you find logic or obviousness in how the sentences progress; I don't. Carry on! ;)

Mole

Permabanned
Resonating Together

Well, that was a nice personal stream-of-consciousness logic chain. That is, I'm guessing that you find logic or obviousness in how the sentences progress; I don't. Carry on! ;)

If we think in terms of print, we think in terms of linear, sequential logic.

But if we think in terms of electronic text, as this is, we think in terms of the gestalt, we think in terms of resonance, we think in terms of non-linear, non-sequential prose.

I mean just look at my style, surely that gives the clue that I am writing electronic text. I am writing telegraphic prose.

To understand it we need to listen instead of look. So rather than looking at the etext, we listen to the resonances.

And rather than mentioning the obvious lack of linear, sequential logic, we resonate in reply.

We reply to a resonance with a resonance.

It's like living in a huge bell that we can all hear resonating at the same time, on every corner of the earth.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
If we think in terms of print, we think in terms of linear, sequential logic.

But if we think in terms of electronic text, as this is, we think in terms of the gestalt, we think in terms of resonance, we think in terms of non-linear, non-sequential prose.

I mean just look at my style, surely that gives the clue that I am writing electronic text. I am writing telegraphic prose.

To understand it we need to listen instead of look. So rather than looking at the etext, we listen to the resonances.

And rather than mentioning the obvious lack of linear, sequential logic, we resonate in reply.

We reply to a resonance with a resonance.

It's like living in a huge bell that we can all hear resonating at the same time, on every corner of the earth.

That one was poetic, I grant you that. ;) By the way, who is the 'we' you're referring to?

Mole

Permabanned
That one was poetic, I grant you that. ;) By the way, who is the 'we' you're referring to?

The 'I', the individual self is a function of literacy, while the 'we' is a function the telephone. And the internet is simply a computer connected to the phone line.

So we are all 'we'. 'I' is simply nostalgia for literacy and the age of print.

But the age of print is over, and we are now in the electronic age.

Welcome, LeafAndSky, to the noosphere.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
The 'I', the individual self is a function of literacy, while the 'we' is a function the telephone. And the internet is simply a computer connected to the phone line.

So we are all 'we'. 'I' is simply nostalgia for literacy and the age of print.

But the age of print is over, and we are now in the electronic age.

Welcome, LeafAndSky, to the noosphere.

If it makes you happy to include others in your opinion statements by generalizing those statements (using 'we'), go for it. :)

Mole

Permabanned
If it makes you happy to include others in your opinion statements by generalizing those statements (using 'we'), go for it. :)

This is a shibboleth often repeated here by the literate.

And LeafAndSky I can see you are a highly literate person.

But imperceptibly, bit by bit with every post, you are becoming an electronic person, a member of the etribe.

You can feel my fingertips pressing the keys as I write to you. We are only separated by the screen in front of us. It is as though my finger tips are resting on your finger tips. And when I press your finger tips, it is as though you are reading braille. You don't read the text, you feel the imprint my touch.

And in this way we keep in touch with one another.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
This is a shibboleth often repeated here by the literate.

And LeafAndSky I can see you are a highly literate person.

But imperceptibly, bit by bit with every post, you are becoming an electronic person, a member of the etribe.

You can feel my fingertips pressing the keys as I write to you. We are only separated by the screen in front of us. It is as though my finger tips are resting on your finger tips. And when I press your finger tips, it is as though you are reading braille. You don't read the text, you feel the imprint my touch.

And in this way we keep in touch with one another.

Not only a poet, but a short story writer too! :hug: The part about the fingers was good, but you forgot the part about the brains:

As your fingertips press mine onto the keys, 'we' two members of the etribe each feel the brain of the other tendrilling out . . . telepathically, almost organically . . . thought directing thought. Think like me, think like me, your brain transmits. My brain resonates, bell-like, with yours, the vibrations rippling into the noosphere. Think like me, think like me . . . Two brains . . . One imperative . . .

Suddenly LeafAndSky begins writing.

She writes in short, double-spaced lines.

They are short because she's having a hard time.

She's having a hard time because Victor's logic is foreign to her.

Victor must be foreign, yes.

She's up really late and so probably he's in some other time zone.

Which means that the Twilight Zone of the Twilight Post is ruling the story.

Therefore, LeafAndSky has become Victoriana, superb maker of poetic, logically questionable, unintelligible statements.

Meanwhile, Victor, equally possessed by LeafAndSky's brain transmitting to him ("Think like me, think like me"), starts making sense for once in his life. It's a foreign experience for him, too. Yet, he feels great relief and happiness. When the newness of the experience wears off, Victor is moved to help others displaying his former condition and goes on to start a world-famous and extremely effective psychiatric institute.

Epilogue: Two years later Victor L. Sky was chosen as Time Magazine's man of the year for his stellar example of sensible philanthropy. Victoriana, as of this writing, is still institutionalized but has gained a minor audience as an underground poet and does have her own Wikipedia entry.

Mole

Permabanned
Not only a poet, but a short story writer too! :hug: The part about the fingers was good, but you forgot the part about the brains:

As your fingertips press mine onto the keys, 'we' two members of the etribe each feel the brain of the other tendrilling out . . . telepathically, almost organically . . . thought directing thought. Think like me, think like me, your brain transmits. My brain resonates, bell-like, with yours, the vibrations rippling into the noosphere. Think like me, think like me . . . Two brains . . . One imperative . . .

Suddenly LeafAndSky begins writing.

She writes in short, double-spaced lines.

They are short because she's having a hard time.

She's having a hard time because Victor's logic is foreign to her.

Victor must be foreign, yes.

She's up really late and so probably he's in some other time zone.

Which means that the Twilight Zone of the Twilight Post is ruling the story.

Therefore, LeafAndSky has become Victoriana, superb maker of poetic, logically questionable, unintelligible statements.

Meanwhile, Victor, equally possessed by LeafAndSky's brain transmitting to him ("Think like me, think like me"), starts making sense for once in his life. It's a foreign experience for him, too. Yet, he feels great relief and happiness. When the newness of the experience wears off, Victor is moved to help others displaying his former condition and goes on to start a world-famous and extremely effective psychiatric institute.

Epilogue: Two years later Victor L. Sky was chosen as Time Magazine's man of the year for his stellar example of sensible philanthropy. Victoriana, as of this writing, is still institutionalized but has gained a minor audience as an underground poet and does have her own Wikipedia entry.

Bravo!