• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Just a few controversial questions for non spiritual people ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Lets say that the world changes greatly in the future and it happens that the last spiritual person on this words dies at your arms. How would that make you feel ?

Would there be any changes if you see him/her being murdered by governments agents ?

Would you organize the funeral for this person if there is no living relatives and it costs you almost nothing ? Would you arrange it towards the rules of this person religion or philosophy ?

Do you think that this would be the end of an era ?

For now just answer the questions. Take everyday definition of spiritual for answering the questions .

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not conventionally religious, but I beleive in being good and kind nonetheless... I'll take a shot at it :)

Lets say that the world changes greatly in the future and it happens that the last spiritual person on this words dies at your arms. How would that make you feel ?

sad, first of all, someone died in my arms :shock: secondly, I like spiritual people- the fact that they CAN beleive in something is cool to me :)

Would there be any changes if you see him/her being murdered by governments agents ?

in my emotions? no... well, I might be angry as well :doh: I'd probably wonder if they were onto something and would start asking questions to figure out WHY the government killed them :thelook:

Would you organize the funeral for this person if there is no living relatives and it costs you almost nothing ? Would you arrange it towards the rules of this person religion or philosophy ?

yes, because it's the right thing to do... it doesn't take religion to beleive in treating other people as people... I'd want to think that someone would do the same for me :yes:

no, you can't kill ideas... spirituality would come back- it obviously serves a function and comforts people, I can't see it ever NOT reviving :holy:

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ

I can't tell you how a person dying on my lap would make me feel. I have been to funerals and I've sadly felt indifferent about the event.

No, murder is murder and I believe no one has the right to take another person's life. Obviously, there are exceptions such as self-defense and defense of others, but killing is killing regardless of how its disguise. If it were done by someone from the government, then they need to answer for the crime.

I would bury the person if there are no relatives. But, I would probably not do any religious service that cater for that person. The cost here is time, organizing a funeral takes alot of it. Time is invaluable, it cannot be earned so you have a very limited supply. You can only give your time away, but not get more than your given in a lifetime. I say the cost would be more than almost nothing here.

A belief may die, but people like to believe that there are something much more than what we view in our everyday life. The sense of the unknown motivates people in different way. Some seek explanations, some seek reassurances, some seek guidances, some seek the truths and others has too much worries in their present time to worry about any of it. But, when dealing with human emotions, anything is game. An idea based on human emotions such as spirituality might die, but it will exist as another form. Spirituality can only die if there are no human emotions mixed in the equation. Unfortunately, I wouldn't want to live in a world without emotions. I imagine it would be bland and boring.

Beorn

Permabanned
I'll stay out of this since I'm spiritual, but I thought I would add an anecdote on this topic that Christopher Hitchens shared in the documentary, Collision.

Hitchens said:
If I could convince everyone in the world to be a non-believer, and I'd really done brilliantly and there was only one left. One more and then it'd be done; there'd be no more religion in the world. No more theism. I wouldn't do it.

And Dawkins said, 'What do you mean you wouldn't do it?' I said, 'I don't quite no why I wouldn't do it.'And it's not just because there'd be nothing left to argue with and no one left to argue with. It's not just that. Though it would be that. Somehow if I could drive it out of the world, I wouldn't. And the incredulity with which (Richard Dawkins) looked at me...stays with me still. I have to say.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Even if this occurred, it seems probable that future spiritual movements could spontaneously generate from the humans that do survive.

Primitive man tried to describe the world around him, and where he came from, and in those efforts created some great mythology, and unfortunately also hoardes of annoying fanatical followers, but there are some really cool spiritual people too.

I don't think your scenario ends the potential for spirituality ever occuring again as part of human thinking, for those reasons.

That's a damn interesting question to ask though! :nice:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let me preface this by saying the fact that it's a spiritual person matters not at all to me. My response would be the same for any person.

Pretty horrified, shocked and depressed, and uncomfortable (if they were a stranger).

I would be afraid for my own safety.

Funeral, probably not. I would leave that to a friend. If he had no friends, no need for a funeral. I would arrange for the body to be disposed of properly, though.

No. Spirituality was invented by men hundreds of times in the past, and will continue to be. Not to mention the likelihood of rediscovering past religions.

P

Phantonym

Lets say that the world changes greatly in the future and it happens that the last spiritual person on this words dies at your arms. How would that make you feel ? Do you think that this would be the end of an era ?

A person dying, a life ending is always a sad occasion. It doesn't really matter if they were spiritual or not but I guess since they were the last one, it is an end of something. Since I'm not spiritual, maybe they knew or felt something that was important and they could have taught me something and broadened my horizon towards at least something worthy of knowing about even if I don't believe in it.

Seeing a person murdered by authority figures, no matter what they choose to believe in, is something I cannot agree with. The only change that would happen would be my deepening distrust towards the government that does things such as this.

Yes, of course I would. Out of respect towards that person, even if I didn't know them personally. And I would definitely respect their wishes about the arrangement of the funeral according to their beliefs.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Lets say that the world changes greatly in the future and it happens that the last spiritual person on this words dies at your arms. How would that make you feel ? I'd feel something that they died but beyond that, no

Would there be any changes if you see him/her being murdered by governments agents ? No. Irrelevant.

Would you organize the funeral for this person if there is no living relatives and it costs you almost nothing ? Would you arrange it towards the rules of this person religion or philosophy ? Sure but funerals and such are for the living. If there were no living living relatives, I would do something simple and without fanfare and probably not have much of a spiritual emphasis, unless I knew them well and what they wanted.

Do you think that this would be the end of an era ? No. Someone else will replace them at some point in some fashion as far as spirituality goes. Otherwise it's just part of the cycle of life.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

No different than were it anybody else.

I find this highly unlikely as a single spiritual person isn't really a huge threat without a large group of spiritual people willing to follow one. But I'd react in a manner consistent with seeing an apparent innocent murdered by an authority figure, that persons spiritually makes no difference.

No.

If it were the last spiritual person, I'd say the era had already ended and another begun before this person died. It would just be the nail in the coffin.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

Well, that would be quite an experience wouldn't it? I'd get to record the moment for posterity, so I'd try to pay attention for a change and make sure I remember any last words - or lack of them. I'd offer them some comfort. Hell, I'd probably lie through my teeth, and tell them whatever they wanted to hear to make their last moments easier. I can't say as I would miss their beliefs terribly, but I'm not much for cruelty.

Yes - I'd be worried about the government for a start. Unless they were an aztec revivalalist and into human sacrifice. I'd probably be the one holding the smoking gun in that case.

That sort of government would worry me on many levels. I can't say I would approve, unless the person was engaged in some sort of unpleasantness.

Probably. It seems polite.

Yes. As some have said before, spirituality could be reborn - it's only an attitude, after all. However, this new wave spirituallity would be seperate from what had existed before. It would cause a disjunction in the beliefs structures, as the concepts it would involve would be new, and quite possibily not based on any thing that had existed in the old times. Even if the rebirth came about because someone read an old religious/spiritual text (or even a txt on a mobile) their interpretation of it would be their own.