• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Celtic paganism - pie-throwing contest

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Edit:

I removed my opening post, since this is no longer the thread I started.
Don't you people have any form of shame in you? Honestly.

S

Sniffles

Issues surrounding paganism

Here's a rendition of one of the oldest Celtic hymns, with the theme of a deep personal bond with God.
[youtube="UtXjlvCVwTc"]Be Thou my Vision[/youtube]

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I renamed the thread to Celtic Paganism, since christianity is everything I am not looking for ;)
Christianity has good morals for the most part, but I meant the Old Gods and Goddesses.

gromit

likes this
There are aspects of paganism that I find utterly fascinating...

I love that the same stories appear over and over in different cultures and slightly different forms. I love the role of an ancient nature. I love that it is echoes the wild essence within us...

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm rather uneasy with the fact that your newfound religion causes you to be joyful at the (alleged) imminent destruction of the human race. This line of thought leads to religious suicide (martyrdom), and motivates many of the apocalyptic terrorists around the world.

If running around naked in the country makes you happy, go for it. I'll be waiting here with industrial antibiotics, ready for you to cut your foot on a rock and develop septicemia.

Honestly, it sounds like you simply desire for a return to nature, and are burned out by urban living. Fortunately, humans can develop ways to synch with their environment, that do not involve dangerous deprivation. This Neo-Paganism is your rationalization of the desire.

I would enjoy living in a home like the one pictured below. Can't really be more down-to-earth.

cooper-point-eco-home-1.jpg

S

Sniffles

I'm rather uneasy with the fact that your newfound religion causes you to be joyful at the (alleged) imminent destruction of the human race. This line of thought leads to religious suicide (martyrdom), and motivates many of the apocalyptic terrorists around the world.
I don't know if that can be attributed to paganism really, unless you count Gnosticism into the fold. The apocalyptic mentality you're referring to is more a feature found within the Abrahamic traditions. The pagan mentality tends to be more fatalistic, and thus the conclusion is usually "live for today, for tomorrow we die" type of thing.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(Edit, not to you, peguy.)

Like I said, i'm not here to defend anything.
I might have been a bit vague, but this thread is not for you or your opinions, Eagleseven. Or anyone stating similar negative views.
Although, I get your point.
Like I said, i'm no loony, and I do not dismiss the efficiency of science.
It's just that it is perhaps a tad *too* effective, so that the rules must change.

And... I'm not in the mood for martyrdom or suicide, I thoroughly enjoy living ;)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The point of the thread is to talk about your experiences and beliefs.
It is not here to argue about whether this is total bullshit or not. To some, it most certainly is.
This thread is for us who believe, want to believe or almost believe.

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know if that can be attributed to paganism really, unless you count Gnosticism into the fold. The apocalyptic mentality you're referring to is more a feature found within the Abrahamic traditions.
Yes, but it is the same belief, when you get down to it:

1. The Earth (aka creation) is corrupted by man (environmentally, spiritually, what have you). Our existence/success is somehow wrong.

2. The creator (or some associated god) will make man pay, and return Earth to its imagined pristine state.

3. True believers will survive this cleansing, and live this utopian pristine Earth.

4. If you punish the corrupted man now, you will be fast-tracked to utopian paradise.

---

You find variations on these themes in every religion that inspire people to die. Tis partially why such religions have conquered the world.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alright.

Dearly beloved moderator who happens to read this...
Can you please remove all the off-topic posts?
They sort of ruin the purpose, you know.

While derailing is fun, and people cannot seem to stop, can you set it right?

S

Sniffles

Yes, but it is the same belief, when you get down to it:

1. The Earth (aka creation) is corrupted by man (environmentally, spiritually, what have you). Our existence/success is somehow wrong.

2. The creator (or some associated god) will make man pay, and return Earth to its imagined pristine state.

3. True believers will survive this cleansing, and live this utopian pristine Earth.

4. If you punish the corrupted man now, you will be fast-tracked to utopian paradise.

---

You find variations on these themes in every religion that inspire people to die. Tis partially why such religions have conquered the world.

That's only true largely with Abrahamic faiths. In Norse paganism, for example, the concept of Ragnarok is a little bit different since the gods and goddesses and heaven(well their version of it) all get destroyed. IIRC, yes there is a rebirth afterwards, but often that's seen as a Christian addition later on when they wrote down the Sagas. There's debate about whether Ragnarok itself is a result of Christian influence.

I guess we're derailing the thread, so I'll end it there.

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
Like I said, i'm not here to defend anything.
Perhaps this post would be more appropriate as a blog or private journal? If you are indeed INTJ, you understand that other INTJs will pull apart what you believe, even if you don't like it.

I might have been a bit vague, but this thread is not for you or your opinions, Eagleseven. Or anyone stating similar negative views.
So you are simply excluding anyone who is skeptical of your spiritual experience and subsequent conversion?

Perhaps your conversion has changed your personality, as well. Change happens.

Although, I get your point.
Like I said, i'm no loony, and I do not dismiss the efficiency of science.
It's just that it is perhaps a tad *too* effective, so that the rules must change.
We're biologically still cavemen, and we're living through a time of lightning fast change. We all struggle with future shock, and I understand that.

I am just rather surprised that you take solace in a belief system that you yourself admit is blatantly irrational.

And... I'm not in the mood for martyrdom or suicide, I thoroughly enjoy living ;)
I'm glad to hear that...we have enough people blowing themselves up to punish us for our sins.

When you imagine an "ideal" Earth without humans, you likely imagine this:

image001.jpg

I like this, too. It currently exists in Canada, I suggest you visit. Makes life worth living.

My image of a "pre-human" world differs slightly:

primordial-Earth.gif

I sincerely hope that your gods do not return the Earth to this state.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
^Dude, he explicitly asked for this thread to be something of a communion with his fellow pagans; leave it alone.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What the hell is this? I can't make a thread with the meaning I intend and not have it hijacked and turned into a pie-throwing contest for or against religion?

Seriously. This was not the intended meaning, and since it is my thread it is very rude.

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
What the hell is this? I can't make a thread with the meaning I intend and not have it hijacked and turned into a pie-throwing contest for or against religion?

Seriously. This was not the intended meaning, and since it is my thread it is very rude.
Your original thread is still intact:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/philosophy-spirituality/30468-celtic-paganism-personal-experiences.html

This is a clone, so that personal revelations aren't mixed with a comparative discussion of Paganism. A fair compromise on the mods part, if I do say so myself.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, this is the original thread. The other one is a split of some kind.
I have asked that they delete this thread and keep the personal experiences one.