• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you have an inner monologue? What is it like?

Do you have an inner monologue? What is it like?

• Total voters
G

Glycerine

ENFJ
It's embarrassing but I vocalize my inner dialogue whenever I'm alone. I am basically talking to someone that isn't physically there.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't understand the question...how can you think without having an inner voice? when i think it is my voice and it sounds just like me...it is me...i'm confused about this question. :/

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My inner voice sounds like Darth Vader.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^^ really? well i feel gypped for not getting some cool inner voice then...what's up with that!?

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I have several layers of thought going on at any one time. Some are commentaries, some are silly, some are jumping all over the place, if we had telepaths and one got into my head, they'd go insane.

That being said, I'm pretty heavy extrovert... I need to state ideas outwardly; if I don't say an idea out loud, even under my breath, or muttered, it doesn't feel like I've really concluded the thought process. Most of the time I'll be thinking to myself out loud, and even have wild and bizarre conversations out loud with myself, taking on several roles at once.

The same goes on inside my head though, but generally that's when I'm typing or on the computer. I can't type and speak at the same time, there's just some breakdown in the brain that will NOT let me do those two tasks at the same time. One or the other, never both. I can be multitasking a thousand things at once with no problem, but as soon as I hit trying to type and talk at the same time, they both just grind to a halt.

So yeah, my inner monologue only really shows up when I'm busy; when I'm not, it's vocal and aloud, regardless of whether people are nearby or not.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
mine is like the narration of a movie or tv program... following my thoughts and actions verbally... and it's a terrifyingly snarky voice in there :dry:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
mine is like the narration of a movie or tv program... following my thoughts and actions verbally... and it's a terrifyingly snarky voice in there :dry:

So...TOTALLY different to the surface you ;)

Whoops. Just lost control of the inner monologue.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:devil:

I didn't say that the inner monologue doesn't leak out most of the time! :cheese:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Noticing everything, extrapolating possible consequences, making multiple plans of action based on the behavior of other people present.

It's tiring.

Mole

Permabanned
Noticing everything, extrapolating possible consequences, making multiple plans of action based on the behavior of other people present.

It's tiring.

It is. Take a rest mate and learn to turn them off.

You practise martial arts, well, turning the inner dialogue off only requires practice. And you are good at that.

Then you will be martial on the outside and flow like water on the inside.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I primarily think in pictures, but there is usually sound. Honestly, I normally have music in my head. The music becomes background music when I am writing or reading. I do have an inner voice, as in words, but not as often as the music. The inner voice only happens when I am creating a scenario in my head, if there are people involved in my scenario then the 'voice' is usually theirs. It also happens if I am talking with someone directly, I think of what to say before I say it. My inner monologue is never something that recites what I am doing, it is more a predictor (I use that term extremely loosely) of possible future interactions... Interesting topic.

wolfy

awsm
Now and again I have an outer monologue too. That is where I am saying something and am suddenly aware I am saying something.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes I used to have a fantastic inner monologue however the processing that accompanies this inner monologue is struggling to activate. almost like a tv antennae, the signals are there but there is static as if something is blocking the reception and its giving me the pitts.

There are those rare days when my mind is settled and its there, then it goes again like writers block. Today is a fine example. All day totally dropping in and out. So I went for a jog to run it out of me, it almost worked for I am in a good state right now.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mine's just my own voice. It generally analyzes and makes snide remarks about anything going on around me.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think i've decided that i'm completely disturbed by the idea of people having voices or personalities in there that are different than the one displayed outwardly...what does that say? it says something and it is way weird i think. i wanna hear some examples.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
You shouldn't be worried about inner voices, it's when you're hearing outer voices that are coming from your head that you should be concerned.

But to answer the OP I mentally talk to myself, it sounds like my voice and everything.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a dialog. It's constantly reviewing and analyzing. I'll try for some snatches...something like ...

picture floats in of something from past
"Why are you thinking about that?"
picture picture picture
"OH because of what she said the last time I saw her, right. But he said something else. What does it mean, how can those things go together?"
picture picture picture imagining
picture drifts into bad territory
"WILL you cut it out for God's sake, it's going to be fine"
better picture of imagined future event, with dialog
"Oh that reminds me, put on your list to call so and so about such and such"
picture maker says shut up i'm trying to think
"get up and do it now before you forget"
picture maker says i said shut up will you, i'm trying to see what's going to happen
"What's going to happen is you'll forget what I told you to go write down and wonder why you didn't write it down when I told you to"
picture turns off, I get up and go write the list

Just constantly looking at different threads and trying to see where they interconnect, projecting different threads to see what their outcome is, trying to be prepared for all outcomes

Lark

It's tiring.

Holy shit man you got the same one as me! :laugh: :laugh:

Sometimes I think other people dont have a monologue though or they're totally unconscious of it and it just makes them behave impulsively.