• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spiritual crisis?

Lark

Bicameralism (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is perhaps an old theory, not well researched and more literary than evident or empirically sound but I've got to say that its one of the first which I've really struggled with and which presents a challenge to my faith as I understand it.

As a result I've been reading more about existentialism because I've begun to fear that there is no after life or God or if these things exist then they could be like something not resembling anything I or anyone else in human history has imagined.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
I can see some ways this theory casts doubt on both theism and Christianity. What I wonder is why this has caused you to delve into existentialism. What are you learning? How did this theory affect your intellectual trajectory? How is your journey through existentialist thought affecting it now?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes there are two distinct states of consiousness. For my own purposes, I am neither my thoughts nor my feelings...and it's fun to just kind of observe those when they arise.

That is when I remember not to let them get the best of me. ;)

KDude

I don't really have a spiritual crisis with the existence of God. I think God exists..but whether God gives a shit or not is the real crisis for me! So much suffering in the world..I struggle with whether it's God's priority to fix it. Also, there are so many laws from certain traditions that don't make any sense to me.... I struggle with whether "God" had anything to do with them.

G

Ginkgo

Ah yes, reminds me of Kierkegaard's existential "synthesis" between the sensual aspect of man and the spiritual aspect of man. The spiritual side is considered to be one's tether to God, the hotline to Big Daddy, the platform for prayer, but of course there is always the possibility that this "synthesis" is only the composite psychological state of man. You cannot falsify God, but you can observe consciousness and psychology. In fact, psychology is one of the main branches of thought that forced me to question metaphysics. I would recommend you read Sickness unto Death... It would be largely considered heretical by Fundamentalist Christians, as it is somewhat antithetical to the Bible... "Christian Psychology" you could call it. However, I prefer contemporary psychology with an anchor of empiricism... I wish you luck, buddy.

G

Ginkgo

Jaynes noted that in ancient societies, the corpses of the dead were often treated as though they were still alive (being seated on chairs, dressed in clothing, and even fed food) and he argued that the dead bodies were presumed to be still living and the source of auditory hallucinations (see ancestor worship).[2] This adaptation to the village communities of 100 individuals or more formed the core of religion. Unlike today's hallucinations, the voices of ancient times were structured by cultural norms to produce a seamlessly functioning society. In Ancient Greek culture there is often mention of the Logos, which is a very similar concept. It was a type of guiding voice that was heard as from a seemingly external source.

I lol'd, but even today we regard the dead as though they were still living with ceremonies and even worship. Whether they pander to the family of the deceased or the deceased itself is subjective, but you can still see the remnants of this mentality. This just adds a piece of the puzzle to my thoughts on self-awareness.

Mole

Permabanned
A New Hypothesis

Bicameralism (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is perhaps an old theory, not well researched and more literary than evident or empirically sound but I've got to say that its one of the first which I've really struggled with and which presents a challenge to my faith as I understand it.

As a result I've been reading more about existentialism because I've begun to fear that there is no after life or God or if these things exist then they could be like something not resembling anything I or anyone else in human history has imagined.

"The Origin Of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", by Julian Jaynes is an extraordinary book.

And just as, "The Origin of Species", by Charles Darwin replaces Creationism, so, "The Origin of Consciousness", seeks to do no less than replace the soul.

It must be said that, "The Origin of Species", has been confirmed by the sequencing of the genome, while, "The Origin of Consciousness", has yet to be confirmed.

However the Julian Jaynes Society is pursuing this question.

But whether Julian Jaynes is right or wrong, he has given us something very valuable - a new hypothesis.

Mole

Permabanned
By Their Fruits Shall Ye Know Them

How is your journey through existentialist thought affecting it now?

Perhaps I shouldn't mention this here as it is sure to get a negative response. But casting discretion to the winds I would say that just as MBTI has a poor history, so does Existentialism.

For the most famous Existentialist, Jean-Paul Sartre, was an unrepentant Stalinist. And his famous mentor, Martin Heidegger, was an unrepentant Nazi.

I know you will say that ideas are independent of political beliefs but in my heart I don't believe that.

And I don't believe for the simple reason that by their fruits shall ye know them.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I know you will say that ideas are independent of political beliefs but in my heart I don't believe that.

And I don't believe for the simple reason that by their fruits shall ye know them.

Trying to pre-empt criticism still won't work when your reasoning is back to front. Or if you think your conclusion holds true, please explain how:

1) The philosophical ideas of Sartre have influenced Stalinist thought.
2) The philosophical ideas of Heidegger have influenced Nazi and far-right thought.

I will be waiting with interest. :)