• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Confucius Says

Lark

Maybe you've seen the popular "Confucius Says" poster and maybe you've not, my question is do you know anything about Confucius or Confucianism? I've been reading books on etiquette or conduct with a philosophical or cultural bent for a while and wondered if anyone had any recommendations? Eastern or western?

Mole

Permabanned
The Three Civilizations

Maybe you've seen the popular "Confucius Says" poster and maybe you've not, my question is do you know anything about Confucius or Confucianism? I've been reading books on etiquette or conduct with a philosophical or cultural bent for a while and wondered if anyone had any recommendations? Eastern or western?

There are three civilizations extant - the Confucian, the Hindu and the West.

We can't understand the Confucian without reading, writing and speaking Mandarin. And we can't understand the Hindu without reading, writing and speaking Hindi. And we can't understand the West without reading, writing and speaking our lingua franca.

Most of us don't consciously understand our own civilization, so we can be sure we don't understand the other two.

However the electronic media have plunged us into the global village and so our next task is to first understand our own civilization and then to understand the other two.

Fortunately I am talking to you in the noosphere, what the Ancient Greeks called the sphere of knowing or understanding. And so Ancient Greek philosophy is reaching its fruition in the noosphere and the global village.

And Confucius says, "Rise to the occasion", or carpe diem - seize the day!

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Confucius say "You go to jail, bad boy."

Sorry, couldn't help it. Carry on.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm not certain I understand the OP, but if you're just starting to learning about Confucianism, go straight to the Analects.

Mole

Permabanned
Simon Leys and the Analects of Confucius

Simon Leys, who recently translated the Analects into English and French, said that the book may well have been the first in human history to describe the life of an individual, historic personage.

Simon Leys is a Chinese scholar who with considerable courage and intellectual integrity publicly opposed the Communist Party of China as they were murdering millions of Chinese in their care.

Simon Leys lives just around the corner from me in Canberra, Australia and he is a rare and wonderful person.