• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tim Tebow's prayer request falls flat

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
He's the QB everyone loves to hate.

Are we watching the same ESPN channel?

Tim Tebow gets talked about in a good way more than Jesus himself.

If he was really hated on, then he would be ignored on the media. No matter how good he was.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't care if someone chooses to pray, just please don't make me pray as well :thelook:

I was really quite offended at my high school graduation when the biggest douchebag in my graduating class (who later became a convicted rapist :rolleyes:) got up and announced that we were having a group prayer... I intentionally stared straight forward and did not bow my head :dry:

It's not that I object to prayer, it's that I object to having to go along with someone else's prayer... I might not want the same things as them and probably don't have the same view on religion as they do... this is why I disapprove of group prayers in general unless the group has AGREED to it :yes:

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
aztecs40.gif

Everyone must pray.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Are we watching the same ESPN channel?

Tim Tebow gets talked about in a good way more than Jesus himself.

If he was really hated on, then he would be ignored on the media. No matter how good he was.

Media loves the guy, people sick of hearing about him.

You think he's an F?

TimTebowCrying.jpg

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Media loves the guy, people sick of hearing about him.

You think he's an F?

TimTebowCrying.jpg

Not sure. Never saw the guy talk on TV or really know anything about him other than ESPN guys jizz in their pants every time they talk about him. I kinda sputtered out of college football once Cal started sucking again... lol

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Not sure. Never saw the guy talk on TV or really know anything about him other than ESPN guys jizz in their pants every time they talk about him. I kinda sputtered out of college football once Cal started sucking again... lol

Dude I love the NFL but I can't do college. I begin hearing about the up and coming rookie class through news networks. I don't know of any good college teams in the Philly area.

On the other hand I love NCAA basketball but can't do NBA.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What I don't like is the attitude that, I HAVE A MANDATE FROM GOD AND AM DOING THE RIGHT THING AND THEREFORE I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT NO MATTER HOW SOCIALLY INAPPROPRIATE IT IS AND ALSO, OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TO HUMOR ME AND/OR DEFER TO ME BECAUSE GOD IS SANCTIONING MY BEHAVIOR. DID YOU HEAR THE PART WHERE I SAID GOD?!?!

tee-hee, Fe. Don't try to tell an Fi-er about social appropriateness.

(Of course I agree.)

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Dude I love the NFL but I can't do college. I begin hearing about the up and coming rookie class through news networks. I don't know of any good college teams in the Philly area.

On the other hand I love NCAA basketball but can't do NBA.

haha me, can't do NFL or non Pac 10 college football. Most of my friends are Chargers or Raiders fans though. I stop watching March Madness after Cal lost, but will watch a team as long as they have a free-flowing offense.

NBA, I only watch Lakers or Clippers once they get into playoffs. :D

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
haha me, can't do NFL or non Pac 10 college football. Most of my friends are Chargers or Raiders fans though. I stop watching March Madness after Cal lost, but will watch a team as long as they have a free-flowing offense.

NBA, I only watch Lakers or Clippers once they get into playoffs. :D

That is one thing I know about Cali- they ride HARD for the PAC 10 and their teams. Although I did see a Pick-up that was kitted up with Dallas Cowboys design when I was in San Diego earlier this month. I'm surprised nobody shot that thing up. :D

I'd be ashamed to claim the Raiders. LOL

Kobe's the man. He's Suburban Philly. People not familiar with the area say he's from Philly, but nobody here claims him.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Kobe's the man. He's Suburban Philly. People not familiar with the area say he's from Philly, but nobody here claims him.

Oh I thought he was kinda different cus he grew up in Italy...

Yeah, lots of ppl were pissed off cus of the anti-Pac 10 bias in rankings like for the past 10 years or so, but i think that bias died down a lot in the past two years... so yea.

Im pretty hard core Dodgers fan. phillies had so many ex-dodgers or LA guys last year, shane victorino, utley, werth, chan ho... and phillies management is much better than dodger's management... so what can you do. I was glad to see Chan Ho get popular with the phillies fans though.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
It's hard to hear everyone hating over the 2 national championships he helped us win while I was at UF. :coffee:

Beorn

Permabanned
I generally don't like Tim Tebow or the Gators. That being said I think this is a sad commentary on american society. Christianity is generally respected within the sports sector of our society. Yet it seems the respect for Christianity is weakening even there. 60 years ago (no I don't think the 50s were the golden age) none of those players would have blinked an eye at a request for prayer before such a significant event.

Public prayer has a unique ability to unite a group of people. At Florida I'm sure he led prayer amongst his teammates all the time and nobody thought anything of it. Most likely this was because the team was already unified.

This event was extremely adversarial in nature with each man fighting to prove his value. I think it would be a better world if such men would be able to to take a few minutes before such an event and recognize their unity with one another and to humble themselves before their maker.

I don't like the idea of religion being forced on people, although I'm sure my conception of that differs from others here, but I think I would be living in a better country if it were more religious and people did not reject the idea of public prayer.

While the above represent my ideals I should also mention that I'm the first to wince when someone asks for prayer outside of religious settings and I often ascribe disingenuous motives to those that make such requests. I don't think that is usually fair of me.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If it ain't ACC, I don't watch it. :cheese: After all, we did generate MJ, king of the universe.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Public prayer has a unique ability to unite a group of people. At Florida I'm sure he led prayer amongst his teammates all the time and nobody thought anything of it. Most likely this was because the team was already unified.
But that's just it -- it *also* has a unique ability to ostracize and exclude people, which is why I don't think it's really appropriate in such circumstances. What if someone else insisted on making a public group devotion to Buddha before an event? That could be uncomfortable for some Christians, and Tebow's actions are no different. There's nothing wrong (and probably a bit right) with group prayer in situations where those who aren't interested wouldn't feel an obligation to participate or make concessions (ie, church, bible study groups, Christian-based counseling groups, etc.). I'm sure you're right that he did the same sort of thing at Florida -- but I'm also sure that there were other players on the team who it made very uncomfortable. But he was pretty much the undisputed leader of the team, and calling him on it was probably not a realistic option.

While the above represent my ideals I should also mention that I'm the first to wince when someone asks for prayer outside of religious settings and I often ascribe disingenuous motives to those that make such requests. I don't think that is usually fair of me.
:yes: -- like you, I would generally ascribe poor motives to those who do it too, but I'm not so sure about it not being fair. I could see why it's not *intentionally* unfair (the intention is probably most often quite good and innocently so), but it's still intrusive and exclusionary to those who don't share that set of beliefs.

If it ain't ACC, I don't watch it. :cheese: After all, we did generate MJ, king of the universe.
Pac-10 / Big 12 ftw! Although the ACC does generate the best basketball game of the year, (almost :doh:) every year (ie, when Duke loses in the NCAA tournament :devil:).