• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does anyone "deserve" to be hit?

Is it ever justified to smack somebody?

• Total voters

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Raising a fist IS an idea. Not just to some people, but using the very definition of the word.

To some its a reaction, which are the people you really need to watch. The ones who use it as an idea are much more in control.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To some its a reaction.

Then what HG Wells said is irrelevant to the topic of "smacking's" justification. A reaction is no decision.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then what HG Wells said is irrelevant to the topic of "smacking's" justification. A reaction is no decision.

Though I doubt one can't think about the decision of "raising fist" or not. One could realize the negatives after the reaction then from there truly initiate decision

The decision with a reaction is deciding not to do it. Not deciding to do it. With one thought is before action, the other thought is after reaction. Different concepts of ideas as well. The way to stop hitting as a reaction is to recognize the reactionary idea, then handle it before it moves to action. The other is when one runs out of ideas and hitting becomes nothing more then a possible solution to the problem.

Let me try yelling, it worked. Ok, now lets get to why I had to revert to yelling. Its a choice and a decision.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ll. The way to stop hitting as a reaction is to recognize the reactionary idea, then handle it before it moves to action. The other is when one runs out of ideas and hitting becomes nothing more then a possible solution to the problem.

Let me try yelling, it worked. Ok, now lets get to why I had to revert to yelling. Its a choice and a decision.

If origin of reaction is decision, then its an idea, not just a reaction.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If origin of reaction is decision, then its an idea, not just a reaction.

Yes, but the reason its a reaction is that its faster then you are conciously aware of. Its not a controlled decision, its a reaction. It is something you have to sense coming on before the fact until your reaction changes. It would be similiar to a habit.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, but the reason its a reaction is that its faster then you are conciously aware of. Its not a controlled decision, its a reaction. It is something you have to sense coming on before the fact until your reaction changes. It would be similiar to a habit.

Habit is the result of decision.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Habit is the result of decision.

Yes, but when it becomes something as extreme as hitting, it can be justified by self-defense and it may become a defensive reaction.

If you have grown up with an image that when a woman blows up she is gonna grab a knife, then yes hitting becomes a reaction, it initially starts as a decision, then becomes a habit.

Is it right to cause fear in someone that causes one to react defensively to the point where it becomes a habit and a reaction as opposed to a decision?

edit: and no I have never been put in a position like this and hitting is not a reaction in me.

Mole

Permabanned
I wouldn't have put it so blandly, but, yes, under certain circumstances, there are people who will need a beat down.

Perhaps in another thousand years, when humanity has become more enlightened(if we haven't blown ourselves to hell), no one will "deserve" to be hit.

Lots of sheltered idealists here...

It's true that as adults we can choose the company we keep.

Some company will lead to violence and some company will lead to pleasure and delight.

However some company is better than no company, and so if pleasure and delight are out of our reach, we reach for those who share our predilections.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What!? Then its not "never" justified.

Justification doesn't neccesarily lead to positive outcome. What would be justified is a way to avoid fighting alltogether and reach a positive outcome. Just because laying a smackdown on someone might result in a good outcome for you, doesn't mean it's justified.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Justification doesn't neccesarily lead to positive outcome. What would be justified is a way to avoid fighting alltogether and reach a positive outcome. Just because laying a smackdown on someone might result in a good outcome for you, doesn't mean it's justified.

are you simply being subjective here!?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
are you simply being subjective here!?

Yah duh, this is a forum to share peoples opinions. It's all about being subjective.

If you want to look at this particular thread objectively, your response would be "Yes" because nothing is more objective than an eye for an eye. However (get this) I subjectively disagree with that notion.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yah duh, this is a forum to share peoples opinions. It's all about being subjective.

If you want to look at this particular thread objectively, your response would be "Yes" because nothing is more objective than an eye for an eye. However (get this) I subjectively disagree with that notion.

You mean if you trip me and I push you off a cliff I am not being very objective?

This is as objective as I get. You hit me I hit you harder so you dont want to hit me again. You could go for the whole endurance things and just keep hitting at the same strength and do an eye for an eye to see who holds out longer, but seems like a waste.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Let me try to understand and excuse my being slow. You believe that sometimes fighting ends up as the best solution and yet you believe that it's still not justified in that situation? Your justice is then mere imagination?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let me try to understand and excuse my being slow. You believe that sometimes fighting ends up as the best solution and yet you believe that it's still not justified in that situation? Your justice is then mere imagination?

Sometimes its not your choice. It takes 2 to tango and sometimes one person doesnt back down. So yes its not justified but may be the best solution. Its like group solution vs personal solution.

In this case my goal would be to disable not to beat someone up. The difference is its their choice when to stop.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes its not your choice. It takes 2 to tango and sometimes one person doesnt back down. So yes its not justified but may be the best solution.

Interesting. Though, to me, Best Solution = Justification. Could you care to elaborate? I still don't get it.

Its like group solution vs personal solution.
In what way?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting. Though, to me, Best Solution = Justification. Could you care to elaborate? I still don't get it.

Justification is my personal opinion, my personal opinion does not take precedence unless only I am being affected. Best solution is what everyone will settle on. If I think hitting is justified it still doesnt mean its the best solution.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Justification is my personal opinion, my personal opinion does not take precedence unless only I am being affected. Best solution is what everyone will settle on. If I think hitting is justified it still doesnt mean its the best solution.

Shouldn't Personal Justification require everyone's inclusion and thus require best solution? Doesn't justice deal with fairness and equal distribution?

Shouldn't justice require rational choice then?