• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

We are all alike

Mole

Permabanned
Talking about things is safe.

Talking about things is at one remove - we are not in direct contact.

Talking about things is normal - everybody else is doing it - so no one will look askance, never mind challenge us.

So taking about things is a socially acceptable defence mechanism.

On the other hand being something is risky.

To be something is like putting all our eggs in one basket - if we drop the basket, we lose the eggs.

And to be something is downright weird - to talk about a tree is acceptable but to become a tree is incomprehensible - it is not even possible - it is not even logical as it offends the law of the excluded middle.

And yet the temptation is always there - to be. You just let go of yourself and become something else. But if you become something else, how can you get back? What if you are stuck forever as a tree?

Fairy stories often deal with this problem - of someone stuck inside a tree, and of course their rescue. And it is an existential problem and one that even children are concerned with. But as we grow older we build up our psychological defence mechanisms and we all end up talking about things to one another rather than experiencing them directly - rather than being a tree.

The poetic beginner not only wants to write a poem but to live the poem - particularly love poems. But the jaded poet knows that poetry does nothing. Can there be anything sadder than a jaded, older poet for whom poetry does nothing?

But that's what we are all like, and that's why we are all alike.

G

Ginkgo

We are born, and from the time we are born we associate with our environment.

Through our environment, we learn about ourselves, and through ourselves we realize our environment.

Our environment consists of other egos, so we manage our egos by the collective ego until we develop a mental dermis.

But we must always allow the osmosis of empathy, for it is through empathy that we acknowledge our humanity in this collective.

Like a basketball player, we make a 3 pointer before the buzzer of death rings. We do it for ourselves and for the team. As the 3 musketeers sang "All for one - and one for all!"

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ

Not only do i understand what you speak of, i also like what i read :D

Tycho

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I like to think of 'talking about things' as a defence mechanism.

Perhaps such disdain can help us to become less intellectual.

G

Ginkgo

I like to think of 'talking about things' as a defence mechanism.

Perhaps such disdain can help us to become less intellectual.

Talking about things is not always a defense mechanism, though sometimes it is.

We pool our knowledge together to mature as a whole. And our assimilated knowledge is built off of the original premise of being oneself.

To be oneself is to directly solicit knowledge, for knowledge is a currency that is manufactured from the obstruction of oneself.

But as we make more, the inkling of experience loses its value - like experiential inflation.

Soon, we will not need direct experience as ourselves to know anything, for we are brimming with information from others.