• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Afterlife/Apocalyptic Religions

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Do religions with a good afterlife and a population destroying apocalypse, like Christianity, promote a lack of caring for the environment? I think so, but I figured someone on here would probably have a different belief and I'm feeling curious.

G

Ginkgo

The religious doctrine does not, though there have been saints such as Saint Francis of Assasi who promoted a certain devotion to the environment. However, this devotion is devoid of "environmentalism" in a contemporary, global sense.

In fact, some Christians have the gumption to say that environmentalism is parallel to paganism; paganism in its turn being opposed to Christianity.

Isn't preserving the earth before an apocalypse kind of like dusting off a ticking time bomb? I think it would be wise to keep an extra knife up your sleeve and regard the environmental battle, just in case.

There are also secular sources such as Michael Crichton who dissent upon environmentalism for reasons such as economic stability and scientific ethics. I've even heard it being compared to eugenics.

You could say that environmentalism is akin to Christianity because it has this undertone of "getting back to the Garden of Eden" - a kind of naturalistic penance.

S

Sniffles

Enviromentalism is pagan pretty much. The proper Christian attitude towards nature is one of stewardship.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do religions with a good afterlife and a population destroying apocalypse, like Christianity, promote a lack of caring for the environment? I think so, but I figured someone on here would probably have a different belief and I'm feeling curious.

I believe the head of the Southern Baptists' Convention recently said that being good stewards of the environment should be a bigger priority for Christians.

On the other hand if you talk to different Christians specifically you will find that some care deeply about the environment and others don't care anything at all. I think this decision has more to do with a person's personality than their religious teaching.