• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would wanting exist without needing?

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think this could go in this area.

This question just popped into my mind and I wanted to chop it up with you all....

I haven't formed any opinions, as my mind is always dissecting...

Thoughts?

KDude

The Stones sung about this, right?

I guess they can be related, but in many cases, they are two different things. Wanting can be pretty ugly sometimes.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Stones sung about this, right?

I guess they can be related, but in many cases, they are two different things. Wanting can be pretty ugly sometimes.

I don't know if they sang it. I am just now expanding my musical selection...Please pardon the ignorance.

I think needing can get ugly too, like the Hurricane Katrina fiasco...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:thinking:

I want my own private island in the carribean (hopefully like Dr No's island!), but I don't NEED one...

KDude

I don't know if they sang it. I am just now expanding my musical selection...Please pardon the ignorance.

I think needing can get ugly too, like the Hurricane Katrina fiasco...

I would say the ugliness of "needing" is more about.. umm.. survival? Maybe? Sometimes surviving requires desperate measures, but it can be justified in a certain light.

While the ugliness of "wanting" isn't so much survival based as much as it's just self-gratification, and all in all, very unnecessary.

Or so I think off the top of my head. Kind of in a rush right now, but that's what comes to mind.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
:thinking:

I want my own private island in the carribean (hopefully like Dr No's island!), but I don't NEED one...

I accidentally read this post, but I actually agree. Needing implies desperation and fixation on consequence. If I don't get what I need, I get sad. If I don't get what I want...fuck it. If you curb your desperation, you can transition from needing to wanting.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yes, wanting would exist without needing.
I want to respond to this thread.
But I needn't.
However, I did.
Because I wanted to.

I will prove this, by deleting my post in about 5 minutes.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
needs are necessary for survival wanting depends on the existence of material things cavemen probably only had needs wanting grew as civilization developed

Lark

Wants and needs are different things.

I think the evidence that people still experience wants when their needs are met is everywhere.

Whether this is human nature or a consequence of modern conditions, specifically the keynesian money circulating economy and consumer cultural norms and mores is up for debate.

I'm not thinking purely in terms of the needs which translate easily into commodities here, like fast moving consumer goods, ie food, or consumer durables, TV, laptops, music, entertainment. Those consumer norms contaminate everything else, including less tangible needs like needs for attachment, time, attention, relating with others. People try to buy those things, then with money to be made people try to ramp demand and stimulate peoples wanting.