User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Interesting...my parents were raised in Baptist and Lutheran churches...currently, I would probably categorize myself similar spiritually. I can't prove that God exists. And I'm not sure what parts of the Bible are metaphorical and what parts aren't meant as such. I wish I could ask at my church.

Some times it's hard for me to commit to anything, but my experience with God...it's there. And I'm never sure how to describe it.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I grew up Lutheran. In both the Lutheran (especially the Missouri Synod, where I was raised) and Baptist churches, the Bible is a really hard subject to challenge and question, because it's all about the literal interpretations and complete authority of scripture. I'm thankful for the parents I had, because the church I was raised in was certainly not willing to engage my struggles.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I was a religious mutt.

I grew up pseudo-baptist or something (they were sorta wacky, to be honest), then switched to Lutheran (through high school) -- just mainstream, not Wisconsin or Missouri synods -- then went Evangelical Free at college, then went non-denominational conservative, THEN went Brethren in Christ...

And in high school, I was a camper, then counselor over the summers at a local Christian camp (conservative but into the "relationship with God" thing), and at college I was involved with Intervarsity (which I found a little too much like group-think in how it was implemented there).

To be honest, though, I'm really a non-denominational person. My walk is my own, and I attend churches where I find that I can respect and bond with the people and have opportunities to serve, regardless of actual denomination...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

meta-ethical. Showing how this can be done by inquiring into the metaphysical entity of ethics where we later discover why exactly we can not receive direct instructions from God and that they cant be exactly the way that they are in the Bible. This is what all of that talk about metaphysics in connection to modern-day physics was about.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I'd describe myself as an agnostic cultural Christian.

I don't really doubt the existence of "God" but exactly what "God" is... I don't know.

I was raised Presbytarian. It was okay. Stopped going to church after high school. Wife was raised Methodist. She stopped at the same time.

After her grandmother died (one she was close to) she began within a few years attending Episcopal services here in Alexandria. That was her grandmother's religion. I slept in every Sunday for nearly a year. Finally I went one Easter and kept going.

I like going because I find the service soothing and medative. The rituals are the same every week. I don't even have to open the Book of Common Prayer cause I have it memorized, even the Nicene Creed. I like my church because it is historic (George Washington and Robert E. Lee went there) and the people are warm and friendly. Oh, and if anyone happens to spot the chruch's silver set stolen during the Civil War - let us know!

I think myths are important for a number of reasons - among them: entertainment, insight, and even morality - but I disagree with the implication that they need to be treated as more than fictitious to be relevent.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    I think myths are important for a number of reasons - among them: entertainment, insight, and even morality - but I disagree with the implication that they need to be treated as more than fictitious to be relevent.
    I think we agree, then. I simply don't think that they should be treated as lies. Lies are deception; fiction is... fiction.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    RC, I agree with much of what you have said here. Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is a "categorical imperative"? (I don't know the lingo yet, sorry). Thanks.
    The "categorical imperative" is Kant's major contribution to ethics. (As far as popular ethical statements go, I mean. I'm not a philosophy buff.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kant
    Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law.
    Very simply put: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Can we do more conversation and less essay? Let's try discussion questions:

Here are discussion questions for my thoughts:

What are the qualities of myths?
    What can we gain from myths?
    What can we not gain from myths?
    From where do myths emerge? Why do myths emerge? Is there an evolutionary reason?
    Can some things be true outside of the realm of "fact"?
    Are there different "categories" of truth? If so, what are they? If not, why?
    What makes something "false"?
    What is belief?
    As people seem to be classifying themselves let me start with that.

I'm not religious, I have argued against religion, I have no faith. I do however take the lessons of religion to hear, cerry pick and then try to live by the amalgamated guidelines.

Right in reference to myths, the bible and all things from that, a wise INTP once proposed to me that the bible was failable and written by man but that it's writings do not hold god (not a quote or even exact probably). So if we consider that the bible is no proof of god then god is no proof of the bible. The bible itself is quite possibly a work of fiction but that does not mean it's not based on fact.

Why is there a prepensity in eastern cultures to not give the questioner a direct answer? Most probably because they want the listener to think and to understand, not just to take as wrote and spread the word without the understanding. Perhaps the bible is biult on similar thinking.

The addage "Don't believe everything you read" applies here as much as any newspaper, perhaps more because of the time difference.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTj