• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Imagination and Reality

Mole

Permabanned
The work of children is play. And the purpose of play is to learn the distinction between imagination and reality.

And once we learn the distinction we are free to safely enjoy our imagination.

But when we don't learn the distinction our imagination can turn lethal.

For instance our imagination may tell us that we will be rewarded with 72 virgins in heaven if we drive two commercial aeroplanes full of civilian passengers into two tall buildings full of civilian workers.

Or our imagination may tell us that MBTI will help us understand our personality and the personality of others and help us all get along when in reality MBTI is used as a form of social control.

This wouldn't matter much except I understand two million Americans every year do the MBTI test. And these are the people running the world.

Of course more than two million Americans believe in the talking snake in Genesis so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised they also believe in the imaginative MBTI.

So MBTI, talking snakes and 72 virgins are all pathologies of childhood.

Those who believe in them have failed to learn the distinction between imagination and reality.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
If a majority of the members of this forum join your side, will you then perform a come about and start another crusade that idolizes (rather than deplores) MBTI??

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The work of children is play. And the purpose of play is to learn the distinction between imagination and reality.

For instance our imagination may tell us that we will be rewarded with 72 virgins in heaven if we drive two commercial aeroplanes full of civilian passengers into two tall buildings full of civilian workers.

Or our imagination may tell us that MBTI will help us understand our personality and the personality of others and help us all get along when in reality MBTI is used as a form of social control.

This wouldn't matter much except I understand two million Americans every year do the MBTI test. And these are the people running the world.

Of course more than two million Americans believe in the talking snake in Genesis so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised they also believe in the imaginative MBTI.

Those who believe in them have failed to learn the distinction between imagination and reality.
Sounds more like delusion, not imagination.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a new theme for you. Privacy in the information age.

It goes along much better with the 1984/Brave New World thing.

Mole

Permabanned
The Second Dimension

If a majority of the members of this forum join your side, will you then perform a come about and start another crusade that idolizes (rather than deplores) MBTI??

The fact is that you want to stop me from critiquing MBTI.

One of the reasons is that you want to wallow in MBTI, and the other reason is that you are quite unable to address my critique.

And in the larger picture you have no experience of a loyal opposition.

First you have two parties of business and no social democratic party. And second you have no Leader of the Opposition.

And so you want to turn Typology Central into a mirror image of your one dimensional State.

Alas for you, I offer the second dimension.

I am the salt that keeps Typology Central wholesome.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Your critiques have been addressed and fully explained any number of times; your decision to ignore the responses doesn't mean they haven't occurred.

Personally, I imagine it's pretty hard to get further from reality than someone stuck in a nonstop Fi+Ni loop. That's about as detached from reality as it gets, and it shows.

G

Ginkgo

DANCING!

The fact is that you want to stop me from DANCING!

Bodybuilder%20that%20just%20so%20happens%20to%20dance.gif

Mole

Permabanned
Mystic Tater said:
The fact is that you want to stop me from DANCING!

Precisely.

For you need two legs to dance on. You need the thesis and the antithesis. You need MBTI and its critique.

But how virulent is the hatred of the believers in MBTI for its critics.

This is the perfect desire of fundamentalists everywhere - belief without criticism.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Adoamros is about to go all Wallace Stevens on us.

My type suggests that I'm prone to questioning rules and norms, and evaluating almost exclusively on logic. So, I guess they made me place myself in a sub-group of people, but the cost was, of course, further encouraging me to think and question abstract ideas (ie religion) and social norms/rules (government procedures/laws) to fit that mold. Sounds total Ingsoc. "Have we always been at war with Eurasia? Use critical thinking skills to answer!" was one my favorite lines in the book.

But you are correct. Grouping many people based on a couple of characteristics doesn't make sense. Say, for example, grouping people who take the MBTI, or believe in the Bible, as patently delusional.

Mole

Permabanned
Grouping many people based on a couple of characteristics doesn't make sense. Say, for example, grouping people who take the MBTI, or believe in the Bible, as patently delusional.

But it's worse than that. These are not individual delusions, they are group delusions. And it even goes further than that for they are social delusions.

That is why your society focuses on the individual in order to maintain the individual delusion.

If you widen your view to the group or society, the individual delusion starts to dissipate.

And that would be no good for business.

And what is good for business is good for America, for the business of America is business.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
The fact is that you want to stop me from critiquing MBTI.

One of the reasons is that you want to wallow in MBTI, and the other reason is that you are quite unable to address my critique.

And in the larger picture you have no experience of a loyal opposition.

First you have two parties of business and no social democratic party. And second you have no Leader of the Opposition.

And so you want to turn Typology Central into a mirror image of your one dimensional State.

Alas for you, I offer the second dimension.

An inflated sense of self-worth can become unwieldy and vulnerable.

Like the balloon whose elastic shell is made too thin when overly competitive children waste their last breath on that final stretch.

It's best not to blow up our balloons too big, lest they pop.

Your own ego is soon to burst, leaving shards of your mentality in various corners of the forum, irreparable and abandoned.

Nay, it may be too late, for most of us are already giggling at these worthless pieces of rubber.

Though they are indeed good for adding cute speckles of color to the floor.

Still, moderately sized balloons make for the best party atmosphere.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Imagination is in your head... reality is right here.

S

Sniffles

That's so interesting Victor, maybe you should forward this to Peter Geyer and see what he has to say. Im sure you two will have plenty to discuss together.

awesomeface.gif

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
^ Your critiques have been addressed and fully explained any number of times; your decision to ignore the responses doesn't mean they haven't occurred.

Personally, I imagine it's pretty hard to get further from reality than someone stuck in a nonstop Fi+Ni loop. That's about as detached from reality as it gets, and it shows.

Could you elaborate on this please?

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find the 'V' icon next to the topic's title pretty useful.
Sorting out bullshit is so much easier this way.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I find the 'V' icon next to the topic's title pretty useful.
Sorting out bullshit is so much easier this way.

I would never think of Victor as a megalomaniac. Although I guess his posts do have a sort of Ni fragrance at times.

Whatever, y'all can keep on hatin on the guy but the fact of the matter is - he still has the best hallucinogenic miscellania.