• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Mystery" Tours and the threat of legal action

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
North of the Old Merry, the unremitting grimness of the Scottish winter can sap a fellow's motivation, rendering them hopeless alcoholics, gluttons and/or dope fiends. A simple solution to this problem is to give oneself a little something to look forward to. Like a coach trip somewhere scenic.

So it came to pass that Mammy Trombones, just before Christmas, popped down to the local travel agent to make a reservation. She proudly announced, handing me the brochure, that she had booked herself on a "Mystery Tour". The tour would be "somewhere in Scotland".

I studied the brochure and guessed that, balancing up price and duration, three other destinations in the brochure would most likely feature, with less probable but still possible 4th, 5th and 6th destinations included, with a slight chance of several other places featuring on the tour. Mammy Trombones initially dismissed the idea, but having chewed it over, conceded I may have a point, but as she hadn't been on the tour and didn't know for certain it would still be a "mystery".

Anyway. She's just returned from her wintery Scottish tour and she tells me that, yes, all three places I'd guessed featured on the surprise tour. She now accuses me of ruining the surprise, saying I am too clever by half.;)

I have helpfully suggested she asks for her money back, as clearly the term "mystery tour" is in breach of trading standards laws, in this case...

Having pondered some more, I added the possibility that if a fourth destination were added as a possible stop in the mystery tour would this render the tour less of a surprise? Why not add a 5th, 6th, etc possible destinations (they wouldn't even have to be in the brochure). What about 27 possible places; or 127? I contend the surprise would be spoiled whatever the number of possible places you add to the list. And given the fact that the number of places to visit in Scotland is finite, I'd conclude that there can never be a surprise, ergo it can never be sold as a "Mystery Tour". I'm sure she would win her case if it went to court.

I can't help but think Mammy Trombones is being unfair at laying the ruination of the surprise at the slippery feet of her number one son, banana.
:)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You've not much of a case.

The catalog didn't spell things out, it remained to be guessed, if the guesses were obvious or not does not matter.

Besides, what can you expect from the possibilities of mystery. How do you define how mysterious this has to be.

If they made a mystery tour by night, traveling through a pitch black scotland, not actually getting to see anything, would you've been happier? They would've lived up to their name more?

You partook the tour. The tour agency has made their costs and should expect nothing less than their expenses covered. If you did not get to see what you wanted, you should have gone on a tour that wasn't a mystery so it would allow for predetermined spots you wish to visit and see.

Just my two cents. :p

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So Mrs Trombones goes on holiday to escape the deplorably dreich Scottish winter.....somewhere...in...Scotland. Genius positively sprints in your family, eh? ;)

Out of interest, what were the 3 non-mystery locations?

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
So Mrs Trombones goes on holiday to escape the deplorably dreich Scottish winter.....somewhere...in...Scotland. Genius positively sprints in your family, eh? ;)

Out of interest, what were the 3 non-mystery locations?
Actually Scotland is very beautiful with a light dusting of snow.

The 3 destinations included - Oban, Malaig and Fort William.

Mammy Trombones has mobility problems and - unfortunately - cannot just jump on a plane to somewhere in the Southern hemisphere.

She finds coaches more pleasurable and practical and enjoys the company of people in her age bracket, but - as you say - genius doesn't run in the family; just as tact doesn't run in yours.

Have a happy old age, Blue.