• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

White ninja?

Lark

This is perhaps more trivia than philosophy but I'm not sure, I was wondering if anyone knows that the story behind white costumed ninjas as opposed to black costumed ones is?

P

Phantonym

This is perhaps more trivia than philosophy but I'm not sure, I was wondering if anyone knows that the story behind white costumed ninjas as opposed to black costumed ones is?

It's their winter camouflage for areas that have snow during winter? :D

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Ninjas in "black" isn't so much a myth, as a misunderstanding of a representation of such.

In japanese traditional theatre, stagehands dress up in whot we now associate with ninjas; ie black ninja suits.

The idea is that since the stage is dark, yeu're supposed to "pretend" yeu don't see the stagehands.

Ninjas, due to being so sneaky and stealthy, are portraited wearing the same suits as the stagehands, to showcase that yeu're not supposed to "really" see them, and the only reason yeu see them at all is because it's part of the plot.

Some people, however, mistook this as ninjas wear black suits.

Ninjas mostly dressed like common people; yeu wouldn't be able to pick them out from a crowd or even a small handful of people; hiding in plain sight is the best way to be an assassin or strike when least expected.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ninjas in "black" isn't so much a myth, as a misunderstanding of a representation of such.

In japanese traditional theatre, stagehands dress up in whot we now associate with ninjas; ie black ninja suits.

The idea is that since the stage is dark, yeu're supposed to "pretend" yeu don't see the stagehands.

Ninjas, due to being so sneaky and stealthy, are portraited wearing the same suits as the stagehands, to showcase that yeu're not supposed to "really" see them, and the only reason yeu see them at all is because it's part of the plot.

Ninjas mostly dressed like common people; yeu wouldn't be able to pick them out from a crowd or even a small handful of people; hiding in plain sight is the best way to be an assassin or strike when least expected.

Oooh, sounds cool. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing :)

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aw, man. I thought the thread was going to be about this. Too bad.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If a ninja wore black at night, it's silhouette would stand out. So they wore dark blue, or even red. Dark Blue is obvious, red surprisingly does the same thing, the only significant difference is that when they appear in the light, it might also scare an enemy who may associate the colour with blood.

Lark

That's the history as I'm familiar with it so I wondered how the idea of particular colours of ninjas in costume came from, whether it was a western white vs. black thing or camoflage as someone suggested or more mythical or symbolic some how I dont know.