• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spending types?

Lark

What are you like spending? Do you allow yourself to be impulsive and buy what you want or do you find your conscience inhibits you?

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I am always conscious of my spending. I'm not impulsive at all with material things. If I need something I don't hesitate, but not much falls into the need category for me. I will however, spend what I want on books without regret.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't like shops. If I had unlimited amount of money, I'd probably hang more at the second-hand store.

I am always conscious of my spending. I'm not impulsive at all with material things. If I need something I don't hesitate, but not much falls into the need category for me. I will however, spend what I want on books without regret.

Ah, yeah, books are my weakness, but not something I can't control.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I consider what I buy to a great extent when I decide to spend a large amount of money.
When what I'm buying are a number of small cheap things I don't consider much.

P

Phantonym

I don't like regular shopping for kicks but I can be very spontaneous and impulsive with my spending. If it's something I want and I can afford, I want it now!!! Fortunately I don't have the habit of hoarding things. However, I tend to look at things rationally, whether the thing I want is something I really need. I can't stand useless knickknacks and things that just collect dust. I want it to be practical and I look for things where the quality and the price are to my satisfaction. I hate wasting anything.

One strange thing I've noticed is that I tend to pinch pennies with small sums while I don't have any second thoughts with spending larger sums. This means that I tend to look for discounts when the prices are lower but when I see something that I really want and it costs quite a lot, if I'm ok with the price, I won't bother with looking for discounts. I want it, now!!!!

I think this is due to the fact that I use cash for smaller sums and a card for larger sums. So, giving something material out of my hands makes me realize that it's gone forever but when I don't see the amound disappearing from my bank account, it's sort of easier. And (larger) things that cost more are not something you'd be tempted to change every other week, and I've done my research on it and found it suiting me, so I can justify the expense for myself.

And I think this thread belongs in the Other Psychology Topics forum.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm pretty good I think. I only allow myself to be impulsive with food, but usually food is not extremely expensive, thus my pocket tends not to bleed. I'd probably be more impulsive if I were really rich, though. I especially dislike spending large sums of money, I'm not a penny pincher but I consider extremely carefully any expense over 100 €. I never use credit cards or get myself into debt.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I plan big expenditures, but I tend to ignore how much I have left, I just decide whether I can afford it, and keep looking at it until I can't help but buy it... I haven't regreted any expenditures. I do however regret speeding fines, and late fees, that have taken a fair chunk of my hard earned and desperately needed money... oh and I convince myself that I am desperate for money at all times, and I don't know why.

I get angry when people try to sell me the idea of credit cards, my family was put in debt from them for years, I'm never going to make the same mistake.

Lightyear

I am pretty good with keeping my money together, I have lived for such a long time on almost nothing that now that I have a bit more money I still can't just spent money impulsivly.

For me it's all about if I get the value for my money spent, if I feel it hasn't be wasted. For example paying a bit more for a great holiday or buying someone a really nice birthday present that they will appreciate is alright since I feel that I or at least someone else gets something out of the investment, however I feel really annoyed about small things like buying a train ticket that I don't use in the end or paying for overpriced food, it bugs me because it feels like such a waste.

I am also not into material things, only if it has long-term worth. For example I could imagine spending quite a bit of money on a wedding ring since I will have it for years to come but spending a lot of money impulsively on some trousers that I hardly ever wear or a gadget that might break quickly... no way, I would hate thinking about the money I have wasted.

Lark

Its interesting what you guys are saying about being penny wise and pound stupid, I've seen the same thing on a corporate or institutional level too.

And I think this thread belongs in the Other Psychology Topics forum.

Do you think so?! Cool!! I was kind of in two minds but saw it sort of going into a tangent discussing consumerism, how that pertained to philosophy or spirituality, its those two disciplines which discuss that topic really, at least that's what comes up in a book search on Amazon.

Also I'd anticipated a whole debate about needs, wants, necessities and luxuries which has only partially happened.

That's just me to a T.

I used to be more generous in spending upon others than myself, in some sense it remains how I am but I'm working against it because I think its a kind of narcissistic trait properly understood.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm TERRIBLE with spending money.

I had $1000 at the beginning of the school year and it's all gone now.

It's not so much that I buy a lot of stuff for myself, but when I'm with other people, I can be a little too generous with my money, and impulsively buy a lot of stuff I don't need or for other people. This includes giving people rides (I'm one of the only ones out of my friends that drives yet and has a car).

So! I'm paying for it now. I work a part time job, make minimum wage, and pay for my own gas. My dad doesn't help, so I'm kind of paying the bill for the careless lifestyle I'm trying to wean off of.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm TERRIBLE with spending money.

I had $1000 at the beginning of the school year and it's all gone now.

It's not so much that I buy a lot of stuff for myself, but when I'm with other people, I can be a little too generous with my money, and impulsively buy a lot of stuff I don't need or for other people. This includes giving people rides (I'm one of the only ones out of my friends that drives yet and has a car).

So! I'm paying for it now. I work a part time job, make minimum wage, and pay for my own gas. My dad doesn't help, so I'm kind of paying the bill for the careless lifestyle I'm trying to wean off of.

Well $1000 in 6 months it's really not that big of an expenditure...around 180 $ a month, which means around 6$ a day.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I'm pretty frugal, actually. I will buy things that are absolutely necessary, but I tend to make do for periods without them, putting off spending money on things that most people would buy right away if they were out.

I'm pretty good I think. I only allow myself to be impulsive with food, but usually food is not extremely expensive, thus my pocket tends not to bleed.

Sometimes I do this, but food is expensive too where I am. I only splurge on rare occasions. I sometimes go to farmer's markets to get quality produce at a slightly higher rate, but I feel that I'm supporting local growers, so it is a justified expenditure.

I often wish I was a more impulsive spender. I get teased about it a lot, but I'll often spend so much time looking at things and never purchasing them. I put so much back during the course of shopping that it's ridiculous.

I'm reticent to spend a lot on books because I have a library and the internet available to me. I used to do what Lux does and splurge on only books, but I can't make myself do it anymore. Books ain't cheap either.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always save, but also like to spend (not touching said saved money).

It is not spontaneous, but I do like the finer things in life, will give them some thought and then get a smaller number of very nice things - like an expensive car, a new house, a trip, an expensive bottle of bordeaux or malbec, a massage, etc. I always pay cash.

Exceptions:
Clothes - usually wait till I'm desperate - on-line order or go to the store and buy a bunch of things; i don't focus on deals; just get what I like and get in and out of the store as fast as possible
Books - this comes closest to the impulse spend; or maybe a copy of some trashy magazine like "In Touch"

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
It is not spontaneous, but I do like the finer things in life, will give them some thought and then get a smaller number of very nice things - like an expensive car, a new house, a trip, an expensive bottle of bordeaux or malbec, a massage, etc. I always pay cash.

monopoly20man.jpg

Shaunward

I'm incredibly cheap, most of the time. I get buyer's remourse before I even purchase anything. Except for some things. Some things I've been told I'm quite a snob about. I don't like to spend money, but I like fancy things. It's a difficult life I live. *sigh*

Father says if I think it's difficult now, wait until I get a wife.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never had that much money, so I have nothing to spend! hahaha Anyway, I'm usually good with spending. Not because I go out of my way to be, but because I rarely want anything.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I buy a little of everything, one real good item, one cheap item, one so-so etc.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i am something of a spendthrift, i could not be more nonchalant about money. i don't give a second's thought about spending, or back-to-back big-ticket purchases. money is made to burn! love it.

but i have extreme confidence in my ability to provide for mine and myself, and i like to make a quick buck.