• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Deep contemplations and still needing insight!

Mole

Permabanned
God is a way of seeing.

So, how do you know such a God exists?

I know a metaphor doesn't exist because it is a comparison and comparisons don't exist.

What a metaphor compares may exist but the metaphor doesn't.

In the same way, what you see may exist, but sight doesn't.

So metaphors are ways of seeing. And God is a way of seeing.

And so God doesn't exist, but without God the world wouldn't exist.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know a metaphor doesn't exist because it is a comparison and comparisons don't exist.

What a metaphor compares may exist but the metaphor doesn't.

In the same way, what you see may exist, but sight doesn't.

So metaphors are ways of seeing. And God is a way of seeing.

And so God doesn't exist, but without God the world wouldn't exist.

Actually, that is kind of interesting to think about. So a way of seeing created us, eh?

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
:hug: I like you. More information! I am finding some words I am actually unfamiliar with.

I like you too. You are sweet :hug:

my advice: don't consult a forum, if you are interested in contemplating these things... SEARCH... And continue to search

Just wanted to say re: above that personally, time alone away from people, or at least people I knew well, was helpful for me to sort things out for myself.

Mole

Permabanned
The One True Lightbulb

So a way of seeing created us, eh?

When we turn on a light bulb, we create an entire room. The light bulb is pure information.

When God said, "Let there be light", he created the entire universe.

In quantum mechanics the observer creates the observed.

What we see is what we are. And what we can't see, we are not.

So each God is like a coloured light bulb. Each shines a different light.

But then it gets interesting, for if you shine two lightbulbs together, you get an interference pattern. You get heresy. You get apostasy. You get schism. You get believers and atheists. You get dhimmi. You get infidels. And you get jihad.

So to avoid interference, we turn on only one light bulb.

lamp

(with Nihilistic conclusions being drawn, which I dislike a bit. Makes me feel like there is no room for progress)
Can you explain how it makes you feel like this?

Lets say nihilism throws out the yardstick by which progress is measured. But that doesnt prevent us from 'progressing'; from moving in new directions and progressing along existing paths?

edit - I see this gets addressed somewhat in the thread.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gerbah: I just have one thing to tell you ----> :hug:

Victor: who turns on the lightbulb, though? Only the creator?

You above: good job. I know we progress, and I like that.

Mole

Permabanned
Originally Posted by Antimony
(with Nihilistic conclusions being drawn, which I dislike a bit. Makes me feel like there is no room for progress)

We have made progress in the West since the Enlightenment (1688-1788).

We have made social progress, economic progress and scientific progress.

For the first time in human history we have overcome scarcity in the West. And science has told us where we came from and what we are made of.

We abolished institutional slavey for the first time in human history in 1833 in the House of Commons. And women gained their emancipation and the vote in Australia and New Zealand in 1904.

And in the 1990's we prosecuted child, sexual abuse for the first time in our Criminal Courts.

All this is extraordinary progress made in the short time of about 200 years.

If you compare this to the lack of progress over the preceding 200,000 years, we have something to celebrate.

So I can only think that nihilism is based on ignorance or clinical depression.

Mole

Permabanned
Victor: who turns on the lightbulb, though? Only the creator?

How many creators does it take to turn on a lightbulb?

The lightbulb is a metaphor for seeing. Seeing is not a thing. We see things.

It's called epistemology. And epistemology is simply ways of seeing.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to me to ask who created seeing for it is seeing itself that is the creator.