• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can people overcome their baser instincts?

Lark

Dr House MD thinks only rarely and most of the time its biology, what do you think?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Why overcome them when you can embrace them instead. Learn to enjoy your animal side, and that fury beast will become your best friend

2354200742_69dd01986e.jpg

Seriously, though, destructiveemotional impulses can be control with sufficient discipline, at least for a time. Sadly, most people seem to lack it. In the long run it's best to find an outlet for such impulses, hence the hugging.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dr House MD thinks only rarely and most of the time its biology, what do you think?

To me the question would be, why would anyone ever want to?

One can always find a context where just going with who one is works.

Lark

What is discipline and how does it control impulses? What are emotional impulses? Not being facetious, just interested in how people define these things and their meanings.

Lark

To me the question would be, why would anyone ever want to?

One can always find a context where just going with who one is works.

Really? Even psychopaths and sociopaths? Or peadophiles?

Those ae extreme examples I'll grant but even if you believe in living a hedonistic existence there are compromises to be made or you will destroy yourself.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
Sufficient will can overcome any instinct, maybe not to the degree that it won't be felt but at least to the degree that it will not be consciously acted upon.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
We overcome baser instincts more often than not as a species. This is the very definition of civilization.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think there are some things that were simply unnecessary (in the survival sense) to have concious control over and we're ill-equipped to control them, however most people prefer to think they are masters of themselves and have complete control.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really? Even psychopaths and sociopaths? Or peadophiles?

Those ae extreme examples I'll grant but even if you believe in living a hedonistic existence there are compromises to be made or you will destroy yourself.

There's nothing to be done for that lot short of electric shock and a lobotomy anyway.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why overcome them when you can embrace them instead. Learn to enjoy your animal side, and that fury beast will become your best friend

2354200742_69dd01986e.jpg

Seriously, though, destructiveemotional impulses can be control with sufficient discipline, at least for a time. Sadly, most people seem to lack it. In the long run it's best to find an outlet for such impulses, hence the hugging.

I agree that people need an outlet. If you completely repress, bury, or attempt to "overcome" all of your baser instincts, I think that makes you even more of a nutcase. There's definitely such a thing as allowing the animal or "dark" side too much control, but stifling it completely isn't healthy either.

One of my exes used to tell me that I should be most afraid of people who attend church several times a week, only watch Disney movies, and appear to be completely without darkness, because those are the REAL psychos. I tend to kind of believe that.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Overcome our need for survival? Why would you do that? Isn't that what our basic instincts are?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree that people need an outlet. If you completely repress, bury, or attempt to "overcome" all of your baser instincts, I think that makes you even more of a nutcase. There's definitely such a thing as allowing the animal or "dark" side too much control, but stifling it completely isn't healthy either.

One of my exes used to tell me that I should be most afraid of people who attend church several times a week, only watch Disney movies, and appear to be completely without darkness, because those are the REAL psychos. I tend to kind of believe that.

Their not any "more" phsycho, you just need to fear not fearing them.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
since you're talking about impulses and brain chemistry in decision making, wouldn't it be better to say it's all physics, not biology? Biology has a very limited capability of explaining brain behaviors. you need electricity to understand cognitive processing in neuron nets and Biochem processes are supposed to fall under physics as well, so i think Dr House needs a lesson on science categories.

anyway i don't know what "base instincts" refers to, so *Shrug*

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Their not any "more" phsycho, you just need to fear not fearing them.

Actually, my theory is that they're more likely to snap and shoot people at McDonald's.

Lark

Actually, my theory is that they're more likely to snap and shoot people at McDonald's.

Yeah but behaving as a result of stimuli like a trigger or "snapping" isnt the behaviour of a psychopath or sociopath their behaviour isnt context specific and they dont behave as a consequence of a trigger they're just without conscience.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah but behaving as a result of stimuli like a trigger or "snapping" isnt the behaviour of a psychopath or sociopath their behaviour isnt context specific and they dont behave as a consequence of a trigger they're just without conscience.

I think you're getting a bit to involved with the exact, scientific meaning of the words Sunshine used. I believe she was using them in a much looser sense. I think she simply ment "people with high potential for extreme violence" rather than any specific psychological condition.

Lark

I think you're getting a bit to involved with the exact, scientific meaning of the words Sunshine used. I believe she was using them in a much looser sense. I think she simply ment "people with high potential for extreme violence" rather than any specific psychological condition.

Cool, I thought she was talking about psychopathy, I'm in and out of this thread and didnt read all the posts.

I reckon that highly strung people who can crack and possibly a bigger threat than people who're wired to kill but learnt how to control it.

heart

heart on fire

Those who restrain their desires, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.

William Blake

People can sublimate though.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Cool, I thought she was talking about psychopathy, I'm in and out of this thread and didnt read all the posts.

I reckon that highly strung people who can crack and possibly a bigger threat than people who're wired to kill but learnt how to control it.

Agreed.