• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Everything is relative

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
you created optimism?

My brand of optimism, yes. But that was not what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that you can believe in whatever you want and create all kinds of absolutes...in your mind.

LEGERdeMAIN

I see what you're saying. Interpreting that into my language:

All phenomena are subject to an individuals interpretation of the perception of those phenomena. It's usually assumed that there are certain absolute truths, unfortunately we can only make assumptions about what those truths are or would be.

lamp

Well, but nihilists don't seem to usually believe in CREATING your meanings. Which I do. Like optimism. It's not real or objective but it can be USEFUL.
you can believe in whatever you want and create all kinds of absolutes...in your mind.
Yeah, this is why I am 'investigating' nihilism, it seems to allow for created and positive meanings but doesnt give off a positive vibe.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
You know ... "relativism" and "everything is relative" are not quite the same thing based off our snippits from Wikipedia ...

Absolutes (such as "everything is relative") can and must exist in an entirely relative world. There's a sense in which that's just obvious, and it is a beneficial result if the two can coexist peacefully. Obviously, proclaiming the absence of absolutes is inadvisable, so it is good if that can be avoided.

Is is sufficient to believe that things can matter to you personally, while being neither good nor bad, or meaningless, objectively?

Nice try. :)

you can believe in whatever you want and create all kinds of absolutes...in your mind.

This is ambiguous between multiple possible readings.