• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Everything is relative

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the true relativists reject that statement, but I got sorta confused as to why when I was in one of my "Everything is relative, therefore nothing means anything" phases, and I tried to learn more about relativism theory. I don't like it when I get in that mode, which I sometimes do. For me, it's a depressing and downward spiral; I have to believe something matters.

Lark

I dont believe in relativism at all but I do believe its how most moral absolutes operate in practice, life would be impossible otherwise.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Everything is relative.

Even this statement is a relative statement.

And this one.

And this one.

.....And this one.

:wacko:

:17425::17425::17425:

:bananallama:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
20070705.jpg

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've thought this many times before.

I think it's all about our own personal perception, judgments, and perspective of the world.

LEGERdeMAIN

Everything seems to be relative to me. As far as we know, it's impossible to prove/disprove that everything is relative. It seems equally impossible to prove/disprove that an objective reality exists.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I guess that's the quintessential INTP kind of statement. I can understand that as a premise to one's search of meaning.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Everything is relative whether you like it or not. That does not mean however you should start living as a nihilist though. That's just dumb.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Can you prove that every thing is relative? If so, how?

I as a human can't think of one single thing that isn't relative and I've spent 23 years on this earth thinking all the time so I'm basing it solely on personal experience I'm afraid, but no one has given me reason to believe everything is not relative anyway so...

lamp

Everything is relative whether you like it or not. That does not mean however you should start living as a nihilist though. That's just dumb.
They seem similar at first glance (im associating absolute truth with objective meaning)

Wikipedia on Relativism said:
The term often refers to truth relativism, which is the doctrine that there are no absolute truths, i.e., that truth is always relative to some particular frame of reference, such as a language or a culture.
Wikipedia on Nihilism said:
Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
to my understanding of the theory--
to some extent this is a realistic theory, but i mean to me.. it seems like the 6 degrees of seperation thing. how everyone knows everyone withinn a degree of 6 people. thats never actually been proven fact. just a popular idea. i find relativism similar. i can affect people and environment directly around me, if i want and have ability to do so, but not totally. i as a single person cannot create a revolution to overthrow obama and personaly create a communist nation, for example. its simply not possible. i mean regardless your effort some things just cannot be relative.

lamp

i as a single person cannot create a revolution to overthrow obama and personaly create a communist nation, for example. its simply not possible. i mean regardless your effort some things just cannot be relative.
really? you dont think you could potentially inspire a movement of sorts and accomplish this?

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
really? you dont think you could potentially inspire a movement of sorts and accomplish this?

i dont believe so, there is so much manipulating through media you can create, on the internet alone, like the picture photoshoped of him smoking. that caused minor uproar. like yeah imagine what you could do if you photoshopped a gun and a jew in a picture. ya know? but at some point, authorities are going to step in and stop you.
other people may follow in the leaders footsteps but by the time the manipulation and corruption have reached a point of actually effecting the presidents credibility, said president would likely be out of office [for natural reasons].
its possible to do just about anything, but time simply wont allow.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
i have come to that conclusion way too many times

everything, in life as we know it including life itself, is relative

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
They seem similar at first glance (im associating absolute truth with objective meaning)

Well, but nihilists don't seem to usually believe in CREATING your meanings. Which I do. Like optimism. It's not real or objective but it can be USEFUL.