• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

12 Tribes [Christian sect/cult]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Does anyone have ANY experience with or knowledge of this group?

My sister who has been married a little over a year and my niece who's seven months old were left by my brother in law to join this commune. My sister was unwilling to put herself and more importantly the baby in that constricted and repressed upbringing. This all happened in the span of about two weeks while I was home for Christmas (happy fucking holidays!).

I'm crushed for my sister and just want to understand more of the religion or other's opinions on it.

Religion is poison.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, I've researched basic info. Looking for
more insider info. Don't expect to find it here, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks, Jennifer.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Sorry. I'm familiar with messianic movements a bit, but this is the first time I've heard of these folks. Sounds stifling.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
They're the funny dressed guys who stand on corners spouting nonsense whilst holding bibles... They originally believed "The Mothership" would come down to scoop them all up back in 2000 and since then I couldn't tell you what they believe as that was an epic fail... People and their need to believe shit...

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
They're the funny dressed guys who stand on corners spouting nonsense whilst holding bibles... They originally believed "The Mothership" would come down to scoop them all up back in 2000 and since then I couldn't tell you what they believe as that was an epic fail... People and their need to believe shit...

You got a link on this story?

corey_vann

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8sx
I saw a book called The 12 Faith Tribes. Is it related to this book in anyway?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This group (the one Kendowian mentioned; I never heard of the ones Jennifer links to) has actually been around since the late 80's, at least.
Basically a ripoff of Black Muslims, or more accurately, a particular sect of Black Muslims called the Ansaars (which were based down the street from me) who used to set up tables and hand out literature and then the oils and fragrances (which became popular).

So this other group came out in a similar fashion, and were more Hebrew oriented, with the Hebrew garb and even shepherd staffs, and the various black, Hispanic and other "colored" groups as the 12 tribes (sort of the antithesis to the white Christian "British-Israelism" theory, which said various European groups were the lost tribes) and began preaching in Times Sq. (They used to tangle with the Christians I know who preached there, and often attack white people) and other busy places. Later, they were mainly on Fulton Mall in Bklyn. Then, at Jamaica-Parsons. They seemed to die down, but these days, every time I go up for lunch or whatever at Parsons they are right there next to the newstand.

The sect is (or was) called the UPK School (Universal Practical Knowledge) and is based in Harlem.